Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely think so. The max 4 in the rovan has been great. Though I will say I don't know if it's the mcd vs the rovan or the max 4 vs the max 5 g2 but the mcd with the max 5 g2 felt so smooth! like it was a sensored setup almost and it was the same motor I had used with the max 4 in the rovan.

I also think the max 5 g2 has more esc settings. Either that or the max 4 only shows certain settings when connecting with bluetooth. I haven't tried the max 5 g2 with bluetooth yet but with the led program card it definitely had more options than the max 4 did with the ota programmer. Timing stuff, throttle force etc etc
Yeah nice, can't wait to see you speed run/bash that Rovan again, love that car! :cool:

Yeah nice, can't wait to see you speed run/bash that Rovan again, love that car! :cool:

Can't wait for the sensored tp 5870 800kv to get here for the mcd. Rovan is currently motorless because of it 😱

Dude.. your like the new @jondilly1974 😝
He was/is the motor slayer!
Soon we’ll dub you the esc slayer! 🤣

On that same note though, it seems all the problems are with hobbywing newer stuff? Maybe quality is dropping. 🧐
Definitely quality control.people back at the lhs complaining that a short moment after running the fire started after newly installed.something is going on with the newer products as I'm not hearing much on the older one's.on the flip side I'm also hearing many great things about hobby wing.i hope HW sorts it this issue out, because many are not happy right now .good luck to all of you that decided to get one . hopefully the QA china man checked yours well 👍

Sorry if my opinion offended you..every so often you'll hear about how someone's ESC caught on fire that's acceptable and understandable.but in the last few weeks I'm hearing a lot complaints about hobby wing ESC .and like I mentioned earlier I also been hearing people back at my lhs this week and last week ..i said my opinion of hobby wing is junk ,that's being nice compared to what those other customers said about hobby wing .if you have had good luck with hobby wing well good for you, but seems like more and more keep popping up with problems 🤷. Recently.
Your opinion didn’t offend me, I just don’t agree with it. But I’m agreeing that the new G2 stuff has issues, and it seems to be across the board. I just don’t agree that HW=junk. That’s why I said in a historical context. I don’t think many would disagree when you say the old school Max 6 1650 combo is probably the most reliable setup that anyone has ever run in the 1/8 and 1/7 scale stuff.

This HW & CC back and forth is funny. I have all spektrum and hobby wing with no problems. 4 Max6's, 2 Max5's. My Max5's cog from time to time but that's about it, which may be due to my lack of technical knowledge. Bought a CC MMX recently to "change things up" and try something new. The telemetry sounded appealing. I'v had nothing but trouble with the MMX!!! From the ESC locking itself up after using the B Link and iphone, just trying to reverse motor direction. FINALLY acquired a pc to reset esc because you can't flash firmware without a pc..dumb! Got the firmware flashed and was able to get the esc calibrated then the esc itself started to heat up when the battery was plugged in. The motor direction was still backwards, reversing it on the TX limited the speed forward to reverse speed, reversing it in the app made it cog and heat up. Fkd with it for about another hour before giving up and saying fk CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So my first experience with castle is pretty shtty. Think I'll stick with HW until I get into speed running..if that ever happens.

Your opinion didn’t offend me, I just don’t agree with it. But I’m agreeing that the new G2 stuff has issues, and it seems to be across the board. I just don’t agree that HW=junk. That’s why I said in a historical context. I don’t think many would disagree when you say the old school Max 6 1650 combo is probably the most reliable setup that anyone has ever run in the 1/8 and 1/7 scale stuff.
I agree☝️ I haven't sampled any G2 products personally, and have no plans to based on what I'm seeing. I'm sure HW will get it right, they're a proven player in the industry. I won't be the test dummy for new tech however. I stick with previous versions of any electronics or tech related items acrossed the board, not just rc's. Cars, appliances, phones, PC's.. just makes more sense to me vs paying top dollar for the latest and greatest.😉😎

This HW & CC back and forth is funny. I have all spektrum and hobby wing with no problems. 4 Max6's, 2 Max5's. My Max5's cog from time to time but that's about it, which may be due to my lack of technical knowledge. Bought a CC MMX recently to "change things up" and try something new. The telemetry sounded appealing. I'v had nothing but trouble with the MMX!!! From the ESC locking itself up after using the B Link and iphone, just trying to reverse motor direction. FINALLY acquired a pc to reset esc because you can't flash firmware without a pc..dumb! Got the firmware flashed and was able to get the esc calibrated then the esc itself started to heat up when the battery was plugged in. The motor direction was still backwards, reversing it on the TX limited the speed forward to reverse speed, reversing it in the app made it cog and heat up. Fkd with it for about another hour before giving up and saying fk CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So my first experience with castle is pretty shtty. Think I'll stick with HW until I get into speed running..if that ever happens.
I’m going to be running two CC ESC’s for the first time soon. Like you, in the 6s Arrmas I’ve run HW and Spektrum exclusively. I haven’t had any issues with either in years, knock wood.
I’ve always really liked the HW stuff, and I’m really hoping they get the new G2 issues figured out. It could be something as simple as a firmware update, but whatever the problem is I’m hoping they’re working hard on this mess!

I’m going to be running two CC ESC’s for the first time soon. Like you, in the 6s Arrmas I’ve run HW and Spektrum exclusively. I haven’t had any issues with either in years, knock wood.
I’ve always really liked the HW stuff, and I’m really hoping they get the new G2 issues figured out. It could be something as simple as a firmware update, but whatever the problem is I’m hoping they’re working hard on this mess!
Good luck! I think I have bad luck too. I forgot to mention I have a hobbystar sensored motor paired with the MMX and the motor direction seems to be the problem. I got the esc to work twice but when I went to reverse direction on the motor with the software via OS and Windows it locked up.

Good luck! I think I have bad luck too. I forgot to mention I have a hobbystar sensored motor paired with the MMX and the motor direction seems to be the problem. I got the esc to work twice but when I went to reverse direction on the motor with the software via OS and Windows it locked up.
Damn that’s annoying. Did you end up calling Castle?

I'm guessing wire orientation (A,B,C) is more critical with sensored setups? On non sensored systems I've had no problems with either swapping two motor leads or selecting clockwise/counterclockwise thru esc programming to reverse the motor direction. 🤷‍♂️

I'm guessing wire orientation (A,B,C) is more critical with sensored setup?
Yeh I looked it up. It's different with sensored motors and I tried for a split second and it didn't like it. It was a last resort before I gave up.

What's it do without the sensor wire connected? Can that be done? Sounds like a good reason to remain "unsensored" to me😉😎🍻
Like "free-balling"🤣🤣
I feel ya. I was gonna try that later when I get back home.

Yeh I looked it up. It's different with sensored motors and I tried for a split second and it didn't like it. It was a last resort before I gave up.
Gotcha. So, sensored esc goes either way. Sensored motor must remain sensored.. I guess I've seen/read that before.
I feel ya. I was gonna try that later when I get back home.
Free-balling?🤣🤣

On that same note though, it seems all the problems are with hobbywing newer stuff? Maybe quality is dropping. 🧐
Definitely quality control.people back at the lhs complaining that a short moment after running the fire started after newly installed.something is going on with the newer products as I'm not hearing much on the older one's.on the flip side I'm also hearing many great things about hobby wing.i hope HW sorts it this issue out, because many are not happy right now .good luck to all of you that decided to get one . hopefully the QA china man checked yours well
That's cool @Dan B. 👍 Gladd you were not offended..it's just my opinion. And no one has to agree with what ever I say.but I won't change how I feel about about these newer ESC from HW.

Definitely quality control.people back at the lhs complaining that a short moment after running the fire started after newly installed.something is going on with the newer products as I'm not hearing much on the older one's.on the flip side I'm also hearing many great things about hobby wing.i hope HW sorts it this issue out, because many are not happy right now .good luck to all of you that decided to get one . hopefully the QA china man checked yours well

That's cool @Dan B. 👍 Gladd you were not offended..it's just my opinion. And no one has to agree with what ever I say.but I won't change how I feel about about these newer ESC from HW.
Right but earlier you made a blanket statement about HW in general not just the new stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back