Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to go test the rig again with the max 5 g2 instead of the max 4. Here's to hoping this one doesn't blow up too. It worked fine on the bench but so did the max 4.

I'm about to go test the rig again with the max 5 g2 instead of the max 4. Here's to hoping this one doesn't blow up too. It worked fine on the bench but so did the max 4.

Good Luck!
Fingers crossed.

Make sure you have a clean 128GB microSD to record the adventure!!

Good Luck!
Fingers crossed.

Make sure you have a clean 128GB microSD to record the adventure!!
I'm going to wear the gopro just in case :eek: :ROFLMAO:

When i think about it now with castle and hobbywing releasing new fire hasards. Spektrum seems to have gotten control better with their escs. The one on my noto been acting up during snow winter like brakes randomly not working anymore but its still kicking like it has nothing wrong during summer 2 years in a row now. I have a new esc from warranty in a box waiting when it fails.

For normal bashing i think it would make sense to go with spektrum from jennys than any of those 2 other brands. Fraction of the cost also. Kinda of choose ur poison kind of situation. Theres also the torox escs who are max 8s v2 with a red shell. If you really want a reliable old max8 esc the torox is there. Never seen or heard them go in smoke. But jennys doesn't seem to carry them anymore only the 4s version. You can also buy it at full retail. Hey its a max 8 with red flashy colours.

We love to crap on spektrum but now the other brands are catching up to them with reliability problems, we see less spektrum esc going out these days. But for high end vehicles like 8s ur pretty much limited between castle and hobbywing.

Last edited:
That’s why I buy electronics off Amazon. If that happens you get a brand new setup no questions asked
Same for eBay or if you go through paypal.no questions money back guarantee 👍

Does manufacturers tell you the windings?
I don't understand how a motor can explode ur esc. When such motor has been used with lower spec esc without issues
Agreed...he didn't even get a chance to lay the throttle down...i would have stood there in disbelief and shock.

I'd say he got a dud out of a thousand that was pumped off from the production line.

Was gonna say.. I've heard nothing but troubles from the Max8 G2. The specs are great, but what good are they when it's letting out the magic smoke?
I'll stick with my lamo Max6 and WP-8BL150 thanks😎😉
To add, I'm really hoping the G2 Hobbystar esc's prove to be good. Having only 2 companies to choose from isn't ideal.. I know there are others but, pricing goes up quite a bit after Castle.
I know
I watch Jasons videos. He had ran that G2 in in the Snow when it was brand new, when the G2 Max was released. Got it all wet many times before.(n)(n) Never run in the wet stuff!
If you do...... cant say it is always the ESC's fault. Sorry.....(n)
He bashes well . A good driver.
He obviously never experienced a fire before. Took him way too long to pull that Lipo mains connector IMHO.:rolleyes: Staring at it for too long.
Been there.
Body off..... then pull the Lipo quickly, if safe to do so.
I never seen any other G2 complaints. If you have, please share them here now. :cool:
My only complaint is that your are limted to a few HW G2 compatible motor's And I feel 2250 kv's is too high for heavy bashers.

Last edited:
I know

I watch Jasons videos. He had ran that G2 in in the Snow when it was brand new, when the G2 Max was released. Got it all wet many times before.(n)(n) Never run in the wet stuff!
If you do...... cant say it is always the ESC's fault. Sorry.....(n)
He bashes well . A good driver.
He obviously never experienced a fire before. Took him way too long to pull that Lipo mains connector IMHO.:rolleyes: Staring at it for too long.
Been there.
Body off..... then pull the Lipo quickly, if safe to do so.
Well, Hobbywing claims it's waterproof, but even still, there's plenty of examples of max8 G2'S going up in smoke all over the net. Including here in this forum. I have a 08BL150 that's been packed in ice more times than I can remember.. HW is slipping IMO..
BTW, I like Jason's content too. Very nice, knowledgeable guy.. a bit soft with the bashing but, to each their own. He builds these killer rigs with all the good stuff, but then treats them like shelf queens,LOL.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I must be slow, because I never seen many complaints. Not that the G2 is even that popular at this point.
Never get your ESC wet. Despite what they say. Being WP. No such animal IMHO. The many ESC's I fryed were mostly attributable due to getting them wet.IMHO. I've opened up Fried ESC's before. I can see the corrosion on the Mosfets, directly under the heatsink(n) Just tempting fate every single time. Get it wet once, then many runs later in the dry, you will get a fire. Forgetting that months prior you soaked it all wet. Corrosion sets up and gets you with your pants down sometimes long after. Then blaming the ESC.
Fans are not even WP. The manuals state this. So how WP are they really? Not at all....
In general QC across most brands suck these days. Why run them in the wet stuff. Just adding insult to injury. Factory WP'ing them with common Silicone Potting is rarely if ever perfect.

Last edited:
I must be slow, because I never seen many complaints. Not that the G2 is even that popular at this point.
Never get your ESC wet. Despite what they say. Being WP. No such animal IMHO. The many ESC's I fryed were mostly attributable due to getting them wet.IMHO. I've opened up Fried ESC's before. I can see the corrosion on the Mosfets, directly under the heatsink(n) Just tempting fate every single time. Get it wet once, then many runs later in the dry, you will get a fire. Forgetting that months prior you soaked it all wet. Corrosion sets up and gets you with your pants down sometimes long after. Then blaming the ESC.
Fans are not even WP. The manuals state this. So how WP are they really? Not at all....
I know you're right, WP is really just a suggestion at best..akin to lipo "C" ratings..
I run em in the mud and snow knowing full well that anything can happen. Worth it to me I guess.🤷‍♂️😉🤪
I just fried a 10 year old Xerun 150 this past winter..forgot the Xerun wasn't "WP".. Doh!!😬😢 That stung a bit..a great esc it "was"..

Last edited:
WP ESC's became a thing, just for marketting purposes. One brand started it, then the rest needed to do this.
These ESC's are simply not officially IP-xx rated in any way shape or form. Or they would clearly state such Specs in their marketting/documentation.
They can fail from the slightest "splash" of water or full immersion. Why take the chance Is my point. I keep my rigs dry and my ESC's have lasted for so many years.
Water intrusion failures always seemed to be the common denominator when they did get wet and fried.

I was bashing as the Sun was setting, on a grass field. The grass Dew alone, that came, fried my ESC. The chassis was all wet within minutes of the Dew created in the evening. Not even realizing there was dew appearing suddenly within minutes.

Last edited:
WP ESC's became a thing, just for marketting purposes. One brand started it, then the rest needed to do this.
These ESC's are simply not officially IP-xx rated in any way shape or form. Or they would clearly state such Specs in their marketting/documentation.
They can fail from the slightest "splash" of water or full immersion. Why take the chance Is my point. I keep my rigs dry and my ESC's have lasted for so many years.
Water intrusion failures always seemed to be the common denominator when they did get wet..
Why? For fun. Run my crawlers in the mud and rain because that’s how we roll. Here in the PNW you’d never run if ya waited for ideal conditions. MMX 6s has handled moisture many many times just fine. Now don’t get me wrong, if something did happen to it I would know it was most likely me that’s to blame and Im ok with that

My 3 Crawlers also. Mud streams snow storms water..... Dam fun hell yeah!
Why I only use 2s-3s Brushed set ups in them however. Cheap ESC's and motors. Crawler chassis also shed water better. Unlike basher pan type chassis that collect all of it. ESC/motor sits in a pool of water/snow. (n)
With my $300.+ ESC's and motors in my 6s bashers ...NEVER.
The higher the amps and volts, Dead shorts are way more catastropic. Happen easily.
Especially when there is Snow, there are usually Salted areas. Very Corrosive. Makes water very conductive. Recipe for distaster.

Last edited:
Didnt know he ran it in snow before. My noto runs on snow but with a protector so that the inside doesn't fill with snow
No, we're off (topic) on our own here. I believe the Max4 never even made a pass, much less run in snow. . Imagine the MCD in snow?😱😭 No way I'd put something that expensive in snow.

Last edited:
Didnt know he ran it in snow before. My noto runs on snow but with a protector so that the inside doesn't fill with snow
I've run in snow and never had a problem with a single esc that has been in the snow.

You guys won't even believe this but this mcd is cursed. I put in the max 5 g2 to finally get my first run in and the brand new hobbywing 56118mm 800kv motor shaft snapped. I thought the pinion came off so I was salty but not that salty. I go in to take a look and the whole damn motor shaft just snapped. Look like pure monkey metal too but gawd damn I can't believe how unlucky I really am. The wifey unlucky AF too, I think I'm bout to go buy some lottery tickets because this is just unbelievable. I'm damn near done with hobbywing at this point.

I'm sticking to TP motors from now on, never again will I purchase a cheap ass hobbywing motor.
1688066648301.png

I've run in snow and never had a problem with a single esc that has been in the snow.

You guys won't even believe this but this mcd is cursed. I put in the max 5 g2 to finally get my first run in and the brand new hobbywing 56118mm 800kv motor shaft snapped. I thought the pinion came off so I was salty but not that salty. I go in to take a look and the whole damn motor shaft just snapped. Look like pure monkey metal too but gawd damn I can't believe how unlucky I really am. The wifey unlucky AF too, I think I'm bout to go buy some lottery tickets because this is just unbelievable. I'm damn near done with hobbywing at this point.

I'm sticking to TP motors from now on, never again will I purchase a cheap ass hobbywing motor.
View attachment 308502
Well, that sucks big green donkey d!cks. Mos def get back with HW’s response to this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back