Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite what this thread may lead you to believe HW is not junk. Many can attest to the durability of their products which for the record is typically higher than castle.
On that same note though, it seems all the problems are with hobbywing newer stuff? Maybe quality is dropping. 🧐

I've had two different people tell me they've been through multiple max 4 now. Two people is not much but I make three 😂

This was literally mere seconds before it burst into flames. You can see something is not right and the rig wouldn't go in reverse.

And this is obviously the fire. Wish it was 1 clip but tbh we're lucky we even got it on video at all.

I'M THANKFUL I DIDN'T HAVE THE BODY ON YET!! I literally just finished painting it today. Omg I would have been even more devastated.
If you roll that rc in reverse does it roll smooth or lock up? Almost looks like drive train could be binding?
Sorry you had so many problems with this!

If you roll that rc in reverse does it roll smooth or lock up? Almost looks like drive train could be binding?
You know, I don't think this had anything to do with the max 4 but I think I definitely contributed to the motor shaft snapping. Though I still think it looks like monkey metal and I'm willing to bet a TP motor would have survived.

I think I had the motor mount too tight or something. I think that caused stress on the motor shaft and led to it snapping. I will partly take back my hobbywing rage in regards to the motor. It definitely was causing some binding.

I didn't even notice this until my impatience got the best of me today and I took the whole motor/motor mount out of my rovan f5 and dropped it into the mcd. With the tp motor and the other mount the drivetrain was noticeably smoother.

I have to take an L on that one as much as it pains me to say it. :eek:

Gladd I stuck with castle 😁.hobbywing = junk
No, that’s some BS right there. The reason you see so many people recommending HW Max6/1650 combos for 6s Arrmas is because they’ve always been as bulletproof and reliable, more so, than any other combos available. For years now. Their new new stuff, the G2 series, has been eagerly anticipated but may be experiencing some issues. We‘ll see how it plays out in the long run. But to say HobbyWing=junk is utter bullsh*t in a historical context.

Despite what this thread may lead you to believe HW is not junk. Many can attest to the durability of their products which for the record is typically higher than castle
Not just on this thread ,but all over the forum I'm hearing the same things being said about hobby wing, and also in my lhs just last week 3 customers were in the shop complaining that they had just bought them and caught on fire .people were pissed .so something is going ..not a coincidence if I'm hearing a lot about this situation all in a matter of a few weeks .. maybe a bad batch 🤷.I don't know so you tell me .gladd I don't own any hobby wing junk.like I said I'll stick to castle 🤟

Despite what this thread may lead you to believe HW is not junk. Many can attest to the durability of their products which for the record is typically higher than castle.
We talking about their new products. Motor and escs. The previous models didnt have much issues
No, that’s some BS right there. The reason you see so many people recommending HW Max6/1650 combos for 6s Arrmas is because they’ve always been as bulletproof and reliable, more so, than any other combos available. For years now. Their new new stuff, the G2 series, has been eagerly anticipated but may be experiencing some issues. We‘ll see how it plays out in the long run. But to say HobbyWing=junk is utter bullsh*t in a historical context.
I was called out and criticized for saying how the new G2 and motors were a bad move. Discontinued a few motors who were now replaced by sensored motors. Same for the eac from unsensored to sensored with better specs. But reality is who cares if its not reliable. People bough their stuff for upgrades over stock electronics for this very reason. If you can find the old hobbywing max 6 or max 8 get it there was nothing wrong with them prior to the G2 their esc worked and didnt go up in flames.

How many people have been running those on their xmaxx? I know kevin talbot has been torturing his xmaxx for years and he only had 2 failures in 5-6 years of daily torture.. We all appreciate hobbywing trying to improve their stuff but if you can’t do it right just don't do it because us the costumers are going to be stuck with that bullcrap and we are the ones who are going to be blamed for the failures and we going to have to pay for a replacement. I only have 1 hobbywing esc and its on my felony. Its a max 8 v2. Been running great and i haven’t had any issues yet. I hope it didnt hear me and now identifies as a bomb

Last edited:
You know, I don't think this had anything to do with the max 4 but I think I definitely contributed to the motor shaft snapping. Though I still think it looks like monkey metal and I'm willing to bet a TP motor would have survived.

I think I had the motor mount too tight or something. I think that caused stress on the motor shaft and led to it snapping. I will partly take back my hobbywing rage in regards to the motor. It definitely was causing some binding.

I didn't even notice this until my impatience got the best of me today and I took the whole motor/motor mount out of my rovan f5 and dropped it into the mcd. With the tp motor and the other mount the drivetrain was noticeably smoother.

I have to take an L on that one as much as it pains me to say it. :eek:
I did the same thing on a motor in my son's 18 scale truck. Set the pinion and spur mesh and never checked. I noticed it wasn't rolling as free. And then I thought the pinion loosened, NOT samething that happened to you. Snap goes the motor shaft. I now check that mesh twice!

Lets also not forget a rock can destroy a rotor if it gets caught perfectly. I heard running Safe D pinions can lead to this. On normal pinions the grub screw backs out. In safe D it doesn't matter. Also those pinions makes ur rc sound like a lawnmower because of how crappy they are made

No, that’s some BS right there. The reason you see so many people recommending HW Max6/1650 combos for 6s Arrmas is because they’ve always been as bulletproof and reliable, more so, than any other combos available. For years now. Their new new stuff, the G2 series, has been eagerly anticipated but may be experiencing some issues. We‘ll see how it plays out in the long run. But to say HobbyWing=junk is utter bullsh*t in
Sorry if my opinion offended you..every so often you'll hear about how someone's ESC caught on fire that's acceptable and understandable.but in the last few weeks I'm hearing a lot complaints about hobby wing ESC .and like I mentioned earlier I also been hearing people back at my lhs this week and last week ..i said my opinion of hobby wing is junk ,that's being nice compared to what those other customers said about hobby wing .if you have had good luck with hobby wing well good for you, but seems like more and more keep popping up with problems 🤷. Recently.

Reverse had issues, I watched the vid that is why I asked does it roll in reverse with no power? And if their was binding it could cause the electronics to over heat. Or just stress itself when you hit reverse.
Ether way that just sucks!!! I hope HW does the right thing with your fried esc. I know if that happened to me I'd be done. Could not afford to replace that now.

Did you change the connectors on the battery leads? Heating up the wires too much can damage the ESC.

Funny how in my first couple of years in the hobby I killed probably 4-5 Hobbywing ESCs, and zero in the last 7. What’s the most likely explanation? That I know what I’m doing now.

@Moirae that is some salt in the wound right there! I would be pretty unhappy as well..

I have still had excellent luck with HW (Motors and ESC's), the Max6 in the 1/8th scales seem unstoppable, the Max5 in my 5th scale just keeps going! Shoot even the Firma 160 has been awesome. I seem to be having less issues now with the Firma 150 after setting the timing to 0 on those out of the box.

Hope you get a great resolution from HW, let us know how they treat ya! (y)

My opinion on water/snow, stay out of it unless you are ok with possible failure. Sure you might get lucky and have some really well made ESC's, but, if a tiny drop gets in, Game over. It is amazing how fast a non waterproof ESC will go ablaze with the tiniest bit. Not to mention.. Rusty RC's... :sick:

Last edited:
Actually I remember Dan mentioning HW when i first joined this forum..so maybe i was wrong in saying their quality control has gone up s@*t creek as we say here down under.

So regarding CC...did they maybe have a case of getting too big for their own boots?

Did you change the connectors on the battery leads? Heating up the wires too much can damage the ESC.

Funny how in my first couple of years in the hobby I killed probably 4-5 Hobbywing ESCs, and zero in the last 7. What’s the most likely explanation? That I know what I’m doing now.
The car was basically not moving or under any load. Was using the same smc lipo that I use in my other 12s max 4 rig just fine. I didn't even solder a single piece in the chain as it was all done by hobbywing, radiocontrolpower and smc.

And the max 5 g2 just preformed great in the test drive, with battery leads that I soldered myself. :cool: (y)

The car was basically not moving or under any load. Was using the same smc lipo that I use in my other 12s max 4 rig just fine. I didn't even solder a single piece in the chain as it was all done by hobbywing, radiocontrolpower and smc.

And the max 5 g2 just preformed great in the test drive, with battery leads that I soldered myself. :cool: (y)
Yep 100% you scored a dud right there amigo. :unsure:

Yep 100% you scored a dud right there amigo. :unsure:
I definitely think so. The max 4 in the rovan has been great. Though I will say I don't know if it's the mcd vs the rovan or the max 4 vs the max 5 g2 but the mcd with the max 5 g2 felt so smooth! like it was a sensored setup almost and it was the same motor I had used with the max 4 in the rovan.

I also think the max 5 g2 has more esc settings. Either that or the max 4 only shows certain settings when connecting with bluetooth. I haven't tried the max 5 g2 with bluetooth yet but with the led program card it definitely had more options than the max 4 did with the ota programmer. Timing stuff, throttle force etc etc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back