Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Max 4 that I ordered from amazon as a spare got here today. Soldered up some qs8's and it's working great. I will say though that after using the max 5 g2 and the max 4 back to back I'm a little salty with the missing settings on the max 4. iirc I thought the max 4 came out when the max 8 g2 did but they left all the extra settings that all the G2 esc's have off the max 4. No timing adjustment but max8 g2 and max 5 g2 can both do it.

Very weird of them to leave the max 4 with the basic settings of the max 6 and max 5 g1

I also saw a noticeable difference in the power between the max 4 and the max 5 g2 when using 12s and my tp 5870 750kv. The max 4 definitely made the rig feel like it had more power.

I just got a HW Max4 and the 70125 motor about a month ago I put in my 5iveT, I'm running 12S also and so far it's been good. Just like you I was bummed with the lackluster amount of settings we get. I have the OTA programmer also, found a guy on fakebook that said he had the turbo boost feature available with his. He had both the OTA and the program box and it only showed up with the program box. He even took a video to show me that was the case, well I ordered the program box also trying to get some added features but no luck for me. The box had the exact same options list the OTA had. I think HW may have took some stuff away which sucks, maybe they think extra features were causing more warranty issues who knows.

I just had a max8 g2 smoke on a known good battery; I paid to ship and have them inspected and they said it either incorrectly wired, reverse polarity, or overcurrent. They offered a courtesy replacement but I had to pay for shipping. When I got the replacement the motor seized 5 minutes into a a new battery. I put a dispute with my cc and they were quick to offer a free replacement. But after this experience I told them I wanted a refund I didn’t want to have to deal again with them in the future.

I just had a max8 g2 smoke on a known good battery; I paid to ship and have them inspected and they said it either incorrectly wired, reverse polarity, or overcurrent. They offered a courtesy replacement but I had to pay for shipping. When I got the replacement the motor seized 5 minutes into a a new battery. I put a dispute with my cc and they were quick to offer a free replacement. But after this experience I told them I wanted a refund I didn’t want to have to deal again with them in the future.
Oof that sounds like something else is up. Was this all in a short period of time? Motor still seized? I wonder if something bound up and took out the ESC.

I've learned you're much better off buying hobbywing stuff from amazon. I think they don't warranty it the same way but being able to return in the first 30 days with no questions asked is amazing. I think if something survives a month it is probably okay. Really sucks we're going through these problems though. I'm going to have to keep that CC dispute thing in mind :cool:

What the actual f@*k...is there counterfeiting going on here or has HW simply lost the plot?

Their quality control is nowhere it seems, very sorry to hear and witness this.

Do their products have warranty?

Would be tempting to call them up and scream at them-"Take it back!"

View attachment 308339
ive been wondering the same thing . now seeing all the "copies" of the max5 , 6, etc. ive been wondering about Hobbywing quality . my 1st max5 let out the magic smoke after a very light rinse off with some water . 4 hours after , i plugged in the lipo and poof ... they took care of me on it , but i thought that was very odd . ive been a little dicey about them since . my replacement has been under water , mud all kinds of crap and still goin strong though . sorry for your loss man , hope they straighten it out for ya .. maybe slip a comment in an email about how thousands of people are seeing your problem and are watching to see what they do for you .. if they know their under the magnifying glass they might be more apt to help

Never seen a Max4 up in flames before, except, the one in my Raminator that 5 minutes into the first electric run it blew a flame like that of a 12” flame from a jet. This was because a grub screw on the pinion backed out and started to do some armature CNC work. Hobbywing had my back after I discovered and admitted the problem to them and that I was the one that messed up.

Hobbywing is a good company and I will stick with them. User error can wreck your week, in my case it took months to rebuild because I want to drive not wrench and I feared more wrenching in my near future.

Did I mention a have punch turned down to 1? A lot less brakes and I can make it a full 12amp hour run on 12s.

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3850.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back