Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
First run of my max 4 in the MCD and it burst into flames within the first few minutes of me turning it on. I tried to go into reverse and the esc acted like it turned off and then proceeded to produce the biggest fireball I've ever seen from an esc. My luck is horrible and the most interesting thing is when my XLX2 went up in flames it also happened directly after I tried to go into reverse.

I don't think that's a coincidence. 2 sensored motors, both esc go up into flames after using reverse and both esc take a lipo with them. Rip my SMC 6s lipo. I could cry right now, especially since I know hobbywing will try to play me like it's my fault that a brand new 450$ esc just burst into flames when paired with their brand new 56118 800kv motor.

This was literally mere seconds before it burst into flames. You can see something is not right and the rig wouldn't go in reverse.

And this is obviously the fire. Wish it was 1 clip but tbh we're lucky we even got it on video at all.

I'M THANKFUL I DIDN'T HAVE THE BODY ON YET!! I literally just finished painting it today. Omg I would have been even more devastated.

Last edited:
This was literally mere seconds before it burst into flames. You can see something is not right and the rig wouldn't go in reverse.

And this is obviously the fire. Wish it was 1 clip but tbh we're lucky we even got it on video at all.

I'M THANKFUL I DIDN'T HAVE THE BODY ON YET!! I literally just finished painting it today. Omg I would have been even more devastated.
What the actual f@*k...is there counterfeiting going on here or has HW simply lost the plot?

Their quality control is nowhere it seems, very sorry to hear and witness this.

Do their products have warranty?

Would be tempting to call them up and scream at them-"Take it back!"

take-it-back-arnold-schwarzeegger.gif

First run of my max 4 in the MCD and it burst into flames within the first few minutes of me turning it on. I tried to go into reverse and the esc acted like it turned off and then proceeded to produce the biggest fireball I've ever seen from an esc. My luck is horrible and the most interesting thing is when my XLX2 went up in flames it also happened directly after I tried to go into reverse.

I don't think that's a coincidence. 2 sensored motors, both esc go up into flames after using reverse and both esc take a lipo with them. Rip my SMC 6s lipo. I could cry right now, especially since I know hobbywing will try to play me like it's my fault that a brand new 450$ esc just burst into flames when paired with their brand new 56118 800kv motor.
Damn bro that sucks.sorry for your loss..

Wow, I did not expect to hear that! Shifrin was roasting XLX2’s with TP motors when he was braking (hitting reverse) from high speeds which caused the motors to generate so much back current the ESC couldn’t handle it, and poof. Certainly not what happened with yours though. It looks like it was cogging really bad? Strange behavior from a sensored setup.
Nuts dude, you literally just got this thing, I’ll bet HW will make it right.

Wow!! That really sucks bro!! Wtf is going on at HW!? Seems all their new stuff is problematic? Max8 G2'S going up in flames too..
Perhaps they're pushing the needle a bit too far?
I sure hope they do you right, if history is any indication, you're gonna have a tough time getting them to back it up.. if they balk, I say post that video everywhere!! Best of luck and sorry for the lo$$.

Sucks to hear, brother. Hopefully you have better luck with your Max5 G2. I was considering grabbing one but after reading this I may just stick with my little v1 Max5s for now.
Yeah man, agreed. I used to go exclusively HW because they were so freaking bulletproof and almost never went up in flames, whereas you’d hear of CC ESC meltdowns constantly. Hopefully this ain’t going to be a thing with HW now. I just got the new Max10G2 combo for that Rlaarlo, but haven’t installed it yet.

The pin went off at the end in the first video.
throw side GIF

Last edited:

That’s why I buy electronics off Amazon. If that happens you get a brand new setup no questions asked

That’s why I buy electronics off Amazon. If that happens you get a brand new setup no questions asked
I’ve had a few lipos go bad in the first couple uses and the Amazon return/exchange process is just so easy. No questions.

Doesn't HW have it posted right on their site that Amazon is NOT an authorized distributor? Thought I saw that before?
Now, if Amazon is going to take care of it, why not?
Found it.. looks like they have revised the page since I last saw it..
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma

Screenshot_20230628-120328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry bout that.
Surely sucks and clearly a defect. $Max 4$ is fairly newish.....FWIW.
I bet HW would oblige with a new warranty replacement. I buy from HW/USA directly. So that it is a HW Authorized purchase. They can be rather particular about that. And automatically registered with them. So no receipt is actually even needed in most cases.
May take some time. But I found HW answered many of my Emails rather quickly in the past.
Good luck.
Let us know how it goes.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back