Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of gearing or currents are you experiencing? Any data on it?
Something is telling me that your setup is a killer, but no clue what you have.

Hurts to see this happen. My instinct, your motor setup is causing this to happen. I just don't buy the fact that you have multiple ESC go up in flames, and it's all manufacturing defect related. If it is, you sure have some bad luck streak.

From what i heard with some g2 failures you have to pay something to get a warranty esc in the case of one person it was 40$. You understand now why im not a fan of new "improved escs". The old ones were reliable and trustworthy now with the new ones either castle or hobbywing they don't look to be. I would buy the old hobbywing ones who were discontinued over any of the new escs idc about specs or the improvements. If the esc explodes it doesn't mean crap lmaQ

Last edited:
^^^ I will agree with most of that. An older mature popular ESC is usually the safer bet. At least with my experience with HW.
But with the exception of the OG Max 8, over the years, was always frying for so many users.
Hence why HW made the G2 Max 8 sensored version now . A completely fresh new design. Haven't heard of any complaints so far.;) I will venture to guess, overall, HW has slightly better QC than CC does. HW the bigger, if not the largest RC ESC brand out there.
CC obviousy has their Niche market of Speed Run users. CC Data logs means alot to them.
HW is more of the Race Brand, where CC is more the Bashing brand.

^^^ I will agree with most of that. An older mature popular ESC is usually the safer bet. At least with my experience with HW.
But with the exception of the OG Max 8, over the years, was always frying for so many users.
Hence why HW made the G2 Max 8 sensored version now . A completely fresh new design. Haven't heard of any complaints so far.;) I will venture to guess, overall, HW has slightly better QC than CC does. HW the bigger, if not the largest RC ESC brand out there.
CC obviousy has their Niche market of Speed Run users. CC Data logs means alot to them.
HW is more of the Race Brand, where CC is more the Bashing brand.

Was gonna say.. I've heard nothing but troubles from the Max8 G2. The specs are great, but what good are they when it's letting out the magic smoke?
I'll stick with my lamo Max6 and WP-8BL150 thanks😎😉
To add, I'm really hoping the G2 Hobbystar esc's prove to be good. Having only 2 companies to choose from isn't ideal.. I know there are others but, pricing goes up quite a bit after Castle.

What kind of gearing or currents are you experiencing? Any data on it?
Something is telling me that your setup is a killer, but no clue what you have.

Hurts to see this happen. My instinct, your motor setup is causing this to happen. I just don't buy the fact that you have multiple ESC go up in flames, and it's all manufacturing defect related. If it is, you sure have some bad luck streak.
It definitely is not me. I'm not an idiot, Max 4 was brand new, hobbywing 56118 800kv was brand new, Lipo were the same SMC ones I use on my other max 4 zero problems. Bought max 4 from radiocontrolpower, they solder all the esc's I buy. Motor wires pre soldered from factory.

What exactly could I have messed up in this process?

Same for the XLX2, XLX2 worked fine for a year. Only thing I did was change from a tp motor to a castle 2028 and first bash afterwards = BOOM.

My max 4 paired with tp 5870 = working like a charm. I never have problems when I stick to TP motor

Last edited:
You answered your own question. You changed motors and 3 booms in a row. Id' take the hint and not use that motor.
Lipo has nothing to do with it, just makes for a warmer fire when the ESC blows.
When my xlx2 blew up I thought it might be the motor but I tried the replacement xlx2 with the same motor and it's been working fine ever since. I don't know if something is wrong with this hobbywing motor but could a motor really cause esc to burst into flames? I was debating trying the hobbywing motor with the max 5 g2 but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive.
Don’t be so hard on yourself, brother. They’re just toys.

Expensive af toys!!! man you should have saw the look on my face when I saw my brand new mcd on flames. Was the first time something in the hobby actually depressed me. I wasn't even that upset when the k8s/xlx2 went up in flames :ROFLMAO:

It definitely is not me. I'm not an idiot, Max 4 was brand new, hobbywing 56118 800kv was brand new, Lipo were the same SMC ones I use on my other max 4 zero problems. Bought max 4 from radiocontrolpower, they solder all the esc's I buy. Motor wires pre soldered from factory.

What exactly could I have messed up in this process?

Same for the XLX2, XLX2 worked fine for a year. Only thing I did was change from a tp motor to a castle 2028 and first bash afterwards = BOOM.

My max 4 paired with tp 5870 = working like a charm. I never have problems when I stick to TP motor
Very small problem, but did you plug all the motor wires in, correctly, ABC?

I know you have a ton of experience with sensored stuff but just checking.

Very small problem, but did you plug all the motor wires in, correctly, ABC?

I know you have a ton of experience with sensored stuff but just checking.
Yep! I've never made that mistake thankfully. I do a lot of searching and reading of forums as I get obsessive sometimes when I'm into stuff. I read about what could happen when you don't plug them in correctly even before I had a sensored setup and it spooked me good enough to make sure I NEVER make that mistake. I literally triple check :ROFLMAO:

Ouch, keep us posted. First run has to be a qc issue on v1 launch.

Motors without rpm act like a short to the motor and can cause significant current spikes.
D-wound motors must have 0 timing (one of the reasons, unless vendor is recommending something different) to minimize any chances of spikes. High load does the same, and you were rocking back and forth, which is about the worst you can do for a situation like this. Those spikes typically don't show in any log as they are too short to be detected, but semiconductors have an absolute max rating and once you exceed they send their smoke signal.

Don't know what else to tell you. I truly have no idea what is causing this, the odds are not in favor of manufacturing defects, but some people win the lottery more than once.

I don't know how a motor could cause an esc to destroy itself when it's not under load?

I'm just getting back into the hobby, my last car was a 1/8 scale truggy with CC esc and motor, wish i never sold it for it was a beast...but i never had an issue with that.

Personally i think it's a quality control issue, keep us updated amigo.

I don't know how a motor could cause an esc to destroy itself when it's not under load?

I'm just getting back into the hobby, my last car was a 1/8 scale truggy with CC esc and motor, wish i never sold it for it was a beast...but i never had an issue with that.

Personally i think it's a quality control issue, keep us updated amigo.
For sure. I know I didn't do anything wrong. I think I am unlucky af and you combine that with the fact that I buy so many esc and im bound to run into problems. I definitely think there might be a problem with the max 4 tho as even blacksheeprc on YouTube told me he had 2 blow up and he was only using 8s.

I've bought at least 10 xlx2 and have had 1 fire and 2 just randomly never turn on again with no signs of any problem in previous run. 😔

Some people buy like 1 or 2 and never have a problem. It's like Russian roulette for me 🤣

It took a lot of back and forth but rcp going to take care of me. Probably because I've spent thousands on esc from them, they really wanted me to go to hw directly though. I think they contacted hw on my behalf and will exchange it for me. I definitely wouldn't expect rcp to do this for everyone though so your milage may vary. I'm thankful they ultimately decided to help me because at first they weren't.

It took a lot of back and forth but rcp going to take care of me. Probably because I've spent thousands on esc from them, they really wanted me to go to hw directly though. I think they contacted hw on my behalf and will exchange it for me. I definitely wouldn't expect rcp to do this for everyone though so your milage may vary. I'm thankful they ultimately decided to help me because at first they weren't.
That's great news! :D:cool:

Hopefully this was a random horrible incident and it doesn’t keep happening (with other similar builds). I don’t anything HW but I’ve been eyeing the Max5 G2 for my Infraction build. Not sure what to make of this other than saying sorry for your loss. That absolutely sucks and hopefully they make it right asap!

Motors without rpm act like a short to the motor and can cause significant current spikes.
D-wound motors must have 0 timing (one of the reasons, unless vendor is recommending something different) to minimize any chances of spikes. High load does the same, and you were rocking back and forth, which is about the worst you can do for a situation like this. Those spikes typically don't show in any log as they are too short to be detected, but semiconductors have an absolute max rating and once you exceed they send their smoke signal.

Don't know what else to tell you. I truly have no idea what is causing this, the odds are not in favor of manufacturing defects, but some people win the lottery more than once.
Does manufacturers tell you the windings?
I don't understand how a motor can explode ur esc. When such motor has been used with lower spec esc without issues

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back