Max 4 up in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This HW & CC back and forth is funny. I have all spektrum and hobby wing with no problems. 4 Max6's, 2 Max5's. My Max5's cog from time to time but that's about it, which may be due to my lack of technical knowledge. Bought a CC MMX recently to "change things up" and try something new. The telemetry sounded appealing. I'v had nothing but trouble with the MMX!!! From the ESC locking itself up after using the B Link and iphone, just trying to reverse motor direction. FINALLY acquired a pc to reset esc because you can't flash firmware without a pc..dumb! Got the firmware flashed and was able to get the esc calibrated then the esc itself started to heat up when the battery was plugged in. The motor direction was still backwards, reversing it on the TX limited the speed forward to reverse speed, reversing it in the app made it cog and heat up. Fkd with it for about another hour before giving up and saying fk CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So my first experience with castle is pretty shtty. Think I'll stick with HW until I get into speed running..if that ever happens.
every kind of ESC from every brand has a customer that has had bad luck with it..it's part of the nature of this hobby, nothing and no brand is perfect..sorry you had issues with yours..castle is definitely nice for speed runs ..👍I'm hearing HW is more for bashing🤷
Right but earlier you made a blanket statement about HW in general not just the new stuff. 🤷‍♂️
Ok so let me edit then plz so I'm not misjudged on how I feel about HW...
The newer stuff from HW = junk. Not the older 👍 sorry I should have been more clearer .

Last edited:
This HW & CC back and forth is funny. I have all spektrum and hobby wing with no problems. 4 Max6's, 2 Max5's. My Max5's cog from time to time but that's about it, which may be due to my lack of technical knowledge. Bought a CC MMX recently to "change things up" and try something new. The telemetry sounded appealing. I'v had nothing but trouble with the MMX!!! From the ESC locking itself up after using the B Link and iphone, just trying to reverse motor direction. FINALLY acquired a pc to reset esc because you can't flash firmware without a pc..dumb! Got the firmware flashed and was able to get the esc calibrated then the esc itself started to heat up when the battery was plugged in. The motor direction was still backwards, reversing it on the TX limited the speed forward to reverse speed, reversing it in the app made it cog and heat up. Fkd with it for about another hour before giving up and saying fk CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So my first experience with castle is pretty shtty. Think I'll stick with HW until I get into speed running..if that ever happens.
Guess I didn't see this post before. I understand the value of data logging and all. In the pursuit of maximum performance it makes perfect sense. I just happen to be from the opposite end of the universe I guess. Based on the above statement, I feel blessed to be satisfied by rtr electronics. 😁🍻

Guess I didn't see this post before. I understand the value of data logging and all. In the pursuit of maximum performance it makes perfect sense. I just happen to be from the opposite end of the universe I guess. Based on the above statement, I feel blessed to be satisfied by rtr electronics. 😁🍻
I‘ve never had an issue with Spektrum electronics either. After all the bad things I’ve heard about their 6s stuff I’ve been expecting problems, but I‘ve yet to have any.

I‘ve never had an issue with Spektrum electronics either. After all the bad things I’ve heard about their 6s stuff I’ve been expecting problems, but I‘ve yet to have any.
No Spektrum myself..oh, wait, yes I do. Lasernut. I always forget about the 'Nut..it's too unused to have electronics problems TBH.
Aside from the Nut, I don't have any Spektrum. My bro has at least a half dozen 4 and 6s Firma's though. No problemo here🤷‍♂️🍻
I have a BLX185 system that's been great, along with a mixed batch of "other" rtr systems that I can't complain aboot😉😁
Now, can't those darned Canucks keep that smoke to themselves!? Horrible air quality these last 36hrs.🤣🤣

I'm guessing wire orientation (A,B,C) is more critical with sensored setups?
Yes it is. You must change motor direction via software and transmitter, rather than swapping two motor wires.
Sensored motor must remain sensored.
That's not quite accurate. You can run sensored motors without a sensor wire and they operate like any other non-sensored motor.

No Spektrum myself..oh, wait, yes I do. Lasernut. I always forget about the 'Nut..it's too unused to have electronics problems TBH.
Aside from the Nut, I don't have any Spektrum. My bro has at least a half dozen 4 and 6s Firma's though. No problemo here🤷‍♂️🍻
I have a BLX185 system that's been great, along with a mixed batch of "other" rtr systems that I can't complain aboot😉😁
Now, can't those darned Canucks keep that smoke to themselves!? Horrible air quality these last 36hrs.🤣🤣
Yeah, I always lump in the BLX185’s with Spektrum. And yes, the air quality here is garbage today as well. Ain’t quality warnings, hazy sky, etc. I wish I could send those folks some of our omnipresent rain.

Yeah, I always lump in the BLX185’s with Spektrum. And yes, the air quality here is garbage today as well. Ain’t quality warnings, hazy sky, etc. I wish I could send those folks some of our omnipresent rain.
Agreed.. funny aboot the rain though, a week ago we were heading into drought status here in my area..brown lawns in June is always a bad sign..great rc weather however!!🤣🤣
Yes it is. You must change motor direction via software and transmitter, rather than swapping two motor wires.

That's not quite accurate. You can run sensored motors without a sensor wire and they operate like any other non-sensored motor.
So, either can be used without a sensor, but not together? Strike 3 for the sensored system in my book. No thanks.
On second thought, why can't the Castle system be run without the sensor? Or can it? I'm sure it'll affect data logging but should run without based on the above statement?
I've had sensored HW esc's that worked perfectly fine with a sensorless motor?

Last edited:
Agreed.. funny aboot the rain though, a week ago we were heading into drought status here in my area..brown lawns in June is always a bad sign..great rc weather however!!🤣🤣

So, either can be used without a sensor, but not together? Strike 3 for the sensored system in my book. No thanks.

On second thought, why can't the Castle system be run without the sensor? Or can it? I'm sure it'll affect data logging but should run without based on the above statement?
I've had sensored HW esc's that worked perfectly fine with a sensorless motor?
Any sensored ESC or motor can be used in non-sensored mode. All you have to do is unplug the sensor wire.

Castle really is a premium experience for RC. Powerful, smooth, settings galore, automatic motor temp shutoff.

Any sensored ESC or motor can be used in non-sensored mode. All you have to do is unplug the sensor wire.

Castle really is a premium experience for RC. Powerful, smooth, settings galore, automatic motor temp shutoff.
Got it. So the CC can run unsensored. I'll forego the "premium experience" though✌

I love RTR set ups.i haven't had any issues with any that I own .I have 3 arrma RC,s and so far nothing from stock has broke yet..but also it has to do with my driving style.im more of a moderate speed runner and I don't really bash so I also haven't experienced the issues most have from harsh abuse..or from sending them 100 ft in the sky . obviously things will get fked up eventually.only a matter of time ..I have modified them but because i just like to .not because I needed to.

Last edited:
I love RTR set ups.i haven't had any issues with any that I own .I have 3 arrma RC,s and so far nothing from stock has broke yet..but also it has to do with my driving style.im more of a moderate speed runner and I don't really bash so I also haven't experienced the issues most have from harsh abuse..or from sending them 100 ft in the sky . obviously things will get fked up eventually.only a matter of time ..I have done modified them but not because i just like to .not because I needed to.
Where you rc has alot to do with it I think, as well as who you rc with. If your buddies are all rockin big fancy systems, it's easy to get sucked in.. glad to be a loaner in that regard,LOL 🤣🤣

Where you rc has alot to do with it I think, as well as who you rc with. If your buddies are all rockin big fancy systems, it's easy to get sucked in.. glad to be a loaner in that regard,LOL 🤣🤣
Yes true.peer pressure is back like high school.if my boyz were rockin a certain sneaker I had to get them or poop goes down hill quick lol.damn bullies..oh wait I was one of them hahah. But yeah I'm happy enough with a low budget 3 s or 4 s system..even the 6s in my kraton is over kill for me .I bought my kraton to try to get into jumps and stuff but it's so nice that Im loving just doing speed runs on grass .😁 I suppose breaking things I work hard for isn't who I am..

I'll forego the "premium experience" though✌
I used to think that way. Then I made the mistake of buying a used car with it installed. Opened my eyes a bit. Now all my cars have high-end power systems 🤣

It’s definitely not for everyone though. Pricey.

Everyday I get on this forum and I'd say most of the posts daily are about questions on how or why this or that broke..🤔ever think that it's the driving style you do? Then people upgrade their parts to accommodate for the hard abuse they give these cars and trucks..well those parts have limits to .I suppose if that's what people enjoy and your wallet allows you to be a kaotic driver then it's all good .arrma promotes breakage.How does the saying go?
don't
JUST
BASH
BLAST😁👍

I used to think that way. Then I made the mistake of buying a used car with it installed. Opened my eyes a bit. Now all my cars have high-end power systems 🤣

It’s definitely not for everyone though. Pricey.
I can totally understand.. I mean no disrespect. I believe Castle is a step up. I KNOW I'd get hooked too.. can't miss what I never had? I'll just keep my head in the sand for now!!😉🤣🤣🍻
TBH Castle isn't "as much" more vs HW than they used to be.. I've admired Castle products for years, never bought though. If you look at HW Xerun, they're pretty pricey. Different animal though.

Last edited:
I know I'm off topic and as normally I tend to derail a thread.i don't mean but, why is it that almost every day on all posts it's pretty much the same people that respond? / Reply? I mean this forum has how many members? And it's basically allways the same 20 people I see around maybey occasionally someone new but anyways sorry for derailing..love you guys.😘 No homo👍

I know I'm off topic and as normally I tend to derail a thread.i don't mean but, why is it that almost every day on all posts it's pretty much the same people that respond? / Reply? I mean this forum has how many members? And it's basically allways the same 20 people I see around maybey occasionally someone new but anyways sorry for derailing..love you guys.😘 No homo👍

I believe that's called- Dedication ;) 🍺

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back