Why does Arrma not want to smash the Traxxas 100mph XO-1 RTR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey you are honest, and at least are willing to try other brands. We all started out with different brands of RC, somewhere. I never was a fanboy of any one brand. That includes Arrma stuff. I have one TRX-4. It was a give me basket case for free. And probably TRX crawlers are their best RC examples to date if you ask me. But will never hold a candle to any Axial IMHO. Trx does have some decent Taiwan Plastic molding FWIW. Maybe slightly better precision and fit. Their platform designs are not all that. And their business model is nasty.. Very pompus attitude.
I agree, TRX molded parts fit together better than any I've come acrossed to date..disassembly/reassembly of the Xmaxx for the first time seemed a bit tedious, but TBH, the fitment of all the parts is quite amazing IMO.

I like the look of XRT and Xmaxx, and as I've said many times - the Xmaxx runs light and looks like a ton of fun. But.

I'm old enough to recall all the lawsuits. Shops closed. Distribution centres finished. HPI was taken to the brink. Maclan. Arrma. Even HBOMax. Lesser known is the case against Traxass for failing to adhere to payments/licence stuff to do with full-size Monster Trucks. Not to mention the aftermarket parts dude for Crawlers.

I'm quite certain we like everyone that runs Traxass. But we dislike morally reprehensible companies.

If any of the brands I've enjoyed in RC over the past 40 years come close to this level of peepee Dastardly - if I'm wrong - please specify.

I'm happy to say - I've managed since 1981 not to buy any Traxass products. 👍

This isn't hate towards Traxass, or the people that buy them b̶y̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶. It's calling out a bad actor for what they've done.

That's not to say Traxass hasn't attracted people into the hobby that wouldn't otherwise have bothered. Great! Whoopdydoo!
Unfortunately it's become more about the dollars than the "sense".. was bound to happen. Whether it's Traxxas or another company, someone saw the opportunity to turn it into a lucrative business, the rest is history..in business, everyone has to protect their own ASSEtS.. or someone else will take them.. BTW, also why I'm not a businessman.. just not in me.🤷‍♂️

Too nice for me. LOL. It look's awesome for sure but uh, I buy em to use, not show off or stare at..to each their own, as always!👍🍻
I like them to look nice, but I'm not scared getting them dirty. I just have to get them clean again before I can bring them back in. 🤣 By order of 'da management'....
1000014336.gif

I like them to look nice, but I'm not scared getting them dirty. I just have to get them clean again before I can bring them back in. 🤣 By order of 'da management'....
View attachment 339610
I hear that!! Truth be told, my manager wouldn't allow ANY of my rc's in the office in their current condition..I forget about these kinds of RealWorld dilemmas. Heck, if I didn't have a 1000sq ft man cave..I wouldn't have most of my toys! AND they would definitely have to be cleaned on the regular..LOL

Trx products have saturated the Market no doubt. $Marketing$ and all right to the LHS level. They are everywhere. I just never met a Trx guy who knew his rig or RC in general. Not that a knowledgeable one does not exist out there. In the last 5-6 years, Arrma has pulled up right behind Trx IMO. How close, IDK.
Having a TRX-4, given to me, I have gained a different out look to TRX. (the product) But dealing with them on the phone wasn't any great experience. Far from it. I tested the waters in regards. TRX must be doing something right. They are a very old and yet dominant Brand.
I hear that!! Truth be told, my manager wouldn't allow ANY of my rc's in the office in their current condition..I forget about these kinds of RealWorld dilemmas. Heck, if I didn't have a 1000sq ft man cave..I wouldn't have most of my toys! AND they would definitely have to be cleaned on the regular..LOL
Same for me. RC's get all musty and stinky, dirt trapseing all over the house. My basement smells like a mud hole sometimes. Dog and Duck poop collected from the ground and all out in the fields. Slung all over the tires and chassis. :LOL: That sweet smell of an RC. ;)I just wont make them perfectly clean. I think they look nice dirty. New looking is only one time, from when out the box. No shelf queens allowed here.

Last edited:
Trx products have saturated the Market no doubt. $Marketing$ and all right to the LHS level. They are everywhere. I just never met a Trx guy who knew his rig or RC in general. Not that a knowledgeable one does not exist out there. In the last 5-6 years, Arrma has pulled up right behind Trx IMO. How close, IDK.
Having a TRX-4, given to me, I have gained a different out look to TRX. (the product) But dealing with them on the phone wasn't any great experience. Far from it. I tested the waters in regards. TRX must be doing something right. They are a very old and yet dominant Brand.

Same for me. RC's get all musty and stinky, dirt trapseing all over the house. My basement smells like a mud hole sometimes. Dog and Duck poop collected from the ground and all out in the fields. Slung all over the tires and chassis. :LOL: That sweet smell of an RC. ;)I just wont make them perfectly clean. I think they look nice dirty. New looking is only one time, from when out the box. No shelf queens allowed here.
Given what we pay for our toys, I certainly understand why many take much pride and put forth the efforts to keep them nice and clean. I definitely do clean my rigs, but like you said, only new once..after that, the cleanings become less and less frequent for me. When I have to go deep for maintenance, I give everything a decent cleaning, mainly to avoid contamination of sensitive parts. I do find myself becoming more critical of weather conditions over time though.. cleaning packed in gumbo mud gets old quick..this year has been pretty wet in the northeastern US for sure. I don't think I've run my K8S to LVC yet. Had it for almost a month now.. Really want to get a good bash in but, not worth having to clean mud off of it. Snow either. This one's not hitting the snowbanks.. not this year anyways 🤔🤣 I got a TRX for that!!👊😜🤣

+1
My stuff is pristine when they get a complete overhaul. Every single part taken off is scrubbed , washed etc. Overcleaning when assembled tends to screw up the BB's, etc. Many guys hose them off like its their scale car. Spraying/ soaking WD40 ( solvent) all over the place. Just so it shines "Like New" (n)Not smart IMHO. From exper. Being anal like that works against you. As well as time consuming. My time is worth more. Being a slave to any hobby is not a fun hobby. I guess doing this straight for 35+ years, 19 models later, has taught me this.
Time spent Wrenching a model, keeping it mechanically sound is most important. Not how clean it is. Pristine clean is for Pictures and video and for shelf Queens.
Never run in the mud or wet with my Basher rigs. So I am ahead of the curve. A little dust never hurts any RC. We all do this differently.

Edited.

Last edited:
+1
My stuff is pristine when they get a complete overhaul. Every single part taken off is scrubbed , washed etc. Overcleaning when assembled tends to screw up the BB's, etc. Many guys hose them off like its their scale car. Spraying/ soaking WD40 ( solvent) all over the place. Just so it shines "Like New" (n)Not smart IMHO. From exper. Being anal like that works against you. As well as time consuming. My time is worth more. Being a slave to any hobby is not a fun hobby. I guess doing this straight for 35+ years, 19 models later, has taught me this.
I agree, I cringe when folks speak of using a hose to wash an rc!!😬😯😕🤷‍♂️ I think it's better off dirty..let dry, use a plastic brush to clean.. Until maintenance time anyway.

GT85 is great for cleaning. Works well. PTFE helps prevent dirt from sticking in the first place and it dry lubes UJ's and dogbones.

It's good to keep rigs clean, but I don't hose or pressure wash (yes, really!!) like some people! 😬

WD40 is excellent for softening belts. Makes your belt driven systems less lossy. Unfortunately, it's not kind to plastics or o-rings.

I agree, I cringe when folks speak of using a hose to wash an rc!!😬😯😕🤷‍♂️ I think it's better off dirty..let dry, use a plastic brush to clean.. Until maintenance time anyway.
Exactly how I clean them off after bashing. They don't come into the house a complete mess. Not at all. I sometimes bring my leaf blower and paint brush out in the field. They don't even make into my SUV, unless I do that. I never bring the loose dirt home with me. At home, I have a small pancake air compressor. I will wash the Body in the sink all nice, and remove my wheels to spray with some Simple Green 50%, and simply wipe them down. They don't have to be perfectly clean at all. I don't wet my wheels in the sink or hose them off, especially, That's how they get all trashed, the foams get all moldy, smelly and rotten till they crumble apart, then the tires get way unbalanced and blow out this way. Obsessively Over cleaning them the wrong way after every run, so they "look new" again, can really bite you in the butt. I tried this many ways over the years. K.I.S.S.

Last edited:
I still use a quality, small, natural bristle paintbrush for getting the dry debris off. Used between every round for 1/10th buggy, touring car and 1/8th buggy. It's still in my tool bag with my Hudy drivers. 😁

Astra WRCA 04.jpg

I think clean, clean, clean is just how it is when you race - indoors or out - it makes no difference. Clean is fast. My Astra bodied Yokomo Rayspeed SSG powered to a National A final 4th place. I was told it was impossible to be competitive with that body. 😜

rschassisinst.jpg

In the UK, RC cars get a special kind of dirty. Mud clearance is a thing, grass as well as grit are all the enemy. It's not really possible to dry rigs properly unless they get cleaned. Properly cleaned. Otherwise, corrosion becomes an issue too.
Screenshot_20231228-233902.png

My rigs are old, because I look after them.
IMG_20230331_195431.jpg

When the Baja gets dirty, it properly gets rammed with crud. It's a mission to get it back to wifey acceptable standards. 😱

Sorry - all this RC 'dirty talk' has derailed the thread. 😅

I still use a quality, small, natural bristle paintbrush for getting the dry debris off. Used between every round for 1/10th buggy, touring car and 1/8th buggy. It's still in my tool bag with my Hudy drivers. 😁

View attachment 339673

I think clean, clean, clean is just how it is when you race - indoors or out - it makes no difference. Clean is fast. My Astra bodied Yokomo Rayspeed SSG powered to a National A final 4th place. I was told it was impossible to be competitive with that body. 😜

View attachment 339681
In the UK, RC cars get a special kind of dirty. Mud clearance is a thing, grass as well as grit are all the enemy. It's not really possible to dry rigs properly unless they get cleaned. Properly cleaned. Otherwise, corrosion becomes an issue too.
View attachment 339682
View attachment 339684
When the Baja gets dirty, it properly gets rammed with crud. It's a mission to get it back to wifey acceptable standards. 😱

Trust me ,I believe it's ok if this thread is derailed over and over lol...no one cares.. probably better off if stays that way.. everything that needed to be said has been said ..as for how I clean my rigs it's pretty simple due to the way I use them 99 percent of my rigs are all street cars and all's I do is flip them upside down shake the pebbles out then I use my blow gun on my air compressor and blow it down real good . Then with a microfiber towel and a detail brush .wipe it all down and then every so often I'll wipe all the plastic with olive oil to replenish the minerals back into the plastic to keep them from dry rotting.after you wipe it down it leaves a nice sheen on everything and looks bran new ...I even use olive oil on the sidewalls of the tires ..keeps them from cracking and stay nice and soft..for the outside body shells ..don't laugh but I even wax and use nano technology to keep dust off.grapheen works great..like I mentioned I'm not a basher .just a street blaster so my maintenance is not like you most on here which I'm sure you all have a higher maintenance .that and I do have a bit of a OCD ISSUE🤣🤣🤣

Trust me ,I believe it's ok if this thread is derailed over and over lol...no one cares.. probably better off if stays that way.. everything that needed to be said has been said ..as for how I clean my rigs it's pretty simple due to the way I use them 99 percent of my rigs are all street cars and all's I do is flip them upside down shake the pebbles out then I use my blow gun on my air compressor and blow it down real good . Then with a microfiber towel and a detail brush .wipe it all down and then every so often I'll wipe all the plastic with olive oil to replenish the minerals back into the plastic to keep them from dry rotting.after you wipe it down it leaves a nice sheen on everything and looks bran new ...I even use olive oil on the sidewalls of the tires ..keeps them from cracking and stay nice and soft..for the outside body shells ..don't laugh but I even wax and use nano technology to keep dust off.grapheen works great..like I mentioned I'm not a basher .just a street blaster so my maintenance is not like you most on here which I'm sure you all have a higher maintenance .that and I do have a bit of a OCD ISSUE🤣🤣🤣
I'm a big fan of microfibre cloths!! 💪 They don't leave any lint behind. 101 uses.

I've never used olive oil on plastics. Doesn't it go all gummy after a while, like caster oil? 🤔

With my Kronos XTR, I use a chassis shroud. Works well for the climate I run in and helps reduce fan death!
PXL_20231201_155727904~2.jpg

View attachment 339673

View attachment 339681
View attachment 339682
View attachment 339684

My racing regimen was a total 360 compared to how I treat my basher's today. Racing is different landscape if you want to be serious and competitive.
Was very common for me to overhaul and disassemble my Race models between Race session days. When I stepped out of the racing scene, I still found myself initially doing the whole disassemble and meticulously clean and lube all. I found I was just spinning my wheels. Not necessary or practical... For me. What others do is their business. If I makes some sense for that one guys who is curious and wants to know what is best, just govern yourself accordingly. If you like and have the many hours to clean your stuff till they are "New Looking", go for it. Knock yourself out. Just there are caveats if cleaning your stuff the wrong way. There are a million ways many can do this. And even a thousand types of snake oil products that purport to be the be all end all way.
Just keep it simple stupid. Less cleaning is more, for basic bashing. Cleaning in general for so many can be an obsession. With most anything in life, best to pick and choose your cleaning battles. Personal hygiene and your living environment comes first. For many it seems to come last. A Very clean rig wont necessarily make your rig any more dependable as basher rigs go. Just a placebo effect if anything.
If you are bringing your models home filthy only to store them in your living room or bedroom I understand that. A problem for sure. I was storing my models in large closed sealed bins to isolate the mess. Worked for me for many years.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of microfibre cloths!! 💪 They don't leave any lint behind. 101 uses.

I've never used olive oil on plastics. Doesn't it go all gummy after a while, like caster oil? 🤔

With my Kronos XTR, I use a chassis shroud. Works well for the climate I run in and helps reduce fan death!View attachment 339695
That's beautiful 😍love it..nice job..as for the olive oil ,no it doesn't leave any oily residue As long as you apply it correctly.. remember all you need is a little bit on a rag over your finger and wipe down and keep doing it untill the plastic is soaking it in.when finished just give it a final wipe and your done .wiping down your rigs misticulously is vital to making sure dirt isnt accumulating where it shouldnt.besides its fun to do 🤣 for me any how..you become one with your rig .👍
Great thing about this hobby is you have many types / kinds of hobbiest ,some love to customize 😁👈 and make and keep things looking great ,and appreciating what they have.we have show offs ,we have bashers ,we have blasters,we have those who just don't give a 🤬about their rigs .we have those who just like to bash on roads ,we have those who love to jump their rigs 100 ft up 🤷 we have those who just build and don't use their rigs .we have those who do nothing but YouTube vids.which I love to watch 😁.you get the point ..we have all kinds that one thing we share..we love this hobby.its imbedded in your soul

Last edited:
The fact that I am a community leader is why it sounds so ridiculous mr putz.

Since when did we find name calling acceptable here on AF?

Ive got as thick of skin as anyone but if someone were to call me a putz I'd punch em in the honker. Just sayin. 😂

Back