Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have installed and "tested" the Queens Hobbies 4274 1450kv I picked off ebay.. still needs fans for 4s use, at least during summer months. I am running 14/50 for gearing currently, runs good, cogs a bit on take off..especially after the motor got up to 190f..which took about 10 minutes in 80f ambient temps.
The motor I was running was a Tenshock 4274 2200kv with 10/50 gearing.. the current(new) setup has a little less "gitty up" and def less top end..however, the Tenshock has been measured over 200f more than once in the Kaiju. Tough "sum b" that Tenshock is!! Just dropped that into my Tekno MT48, still rips.
Maybe it's time for me to make the switch to 6s in the Kaiju? I know efficiency will be higher, so maybe temps will be easier to manage. Was thinking either a 4000mah 6s brick or perhaps 2x3s 4000's.. I feel the need to keep it on the lighter side. I've run 6s by using 2x3s 5200mah but, handling sucks IMO. The Kaiju wheelbase will always be a hindrance I know but I still want it to handle as good as possible. My bro has done some mods to his Maxx and is now kicking my Kaiju's butt with it.. can't have that!!
I feel though that overall, the lower kv motor is a success in the Kaiju as it definitely opens up gearing options as compared to the stock setup where there is literally nothing smaller than a 9t pinion available in mod1 and stock pinion being a 10t.

So I have installed and "tested" the Queens Hobbies 4274 1450kv I picked off ebay.. still needs fans for 4s use, at least during summer months. I am running 14/50 for gearing currently, runs good, cogs a bit on take off..especially after the motor got up to 190f..which took about 10 minutes in 80f ambient temps.
The motor I was running was a Tenshock 4274 2200kv with 10/50 gearing.. the current(new) setup has a little less "gitty up" and def less top end..however, the Tenshock has been measured over 200f more than once in the Kaiju. Tough "sum b" that Tenshock is!! Just dropped that into my Tekno MT48, still rips.
Maybe it's time for me to make the switch to 6s in the Kaiju? I know efficiency will be higher, so maybe temps will be easier to manage. Was thinking either a 4000mah 6s brick or perhaps 2x3s 4000's.. I feel the need to keep it on the lighter side. I've run 6s by using 2x3s 5200mah but, handling sucks IMO. The Kaiju wheelbase will always be a hindrance I know but I still want it to handle as good as possible. My bro has done some mods to his Maxx and is now kicking my Kaiju's butt with it.. can't have that!!
I feel though that overall, the lower kv motor is a success in the Kaiju as it definitely opens up gearing options as compared to the stock setup where there is literally nothing smaller than a 9t pinion available in mod1 and stock pinion being a 10t.
You can get stoooopid with the Dremel's and grinders. Summer of 2020.

That was insane. The RX was in front of the motor, the ESC was in the battery tray, and I used a drone 6s 2200mah brick pack to fit it all. Ended up with a castle system after buying a new tub chassis and selling it. It was nuttier than squirrel poop.

8.JPG

How it sold.

IMG_1014 (1).JPG

That was insane. The RX was in front of the motor, the ESC was in the battery tray, and I used a drone 6s 2200mah brick pack to fit it all. Ended up with a castle system after buying a new tub chassis and selling it. It was nuttier than squirrel poop.

View attachment 305749

How it sold.

View attachment 305750
Wow! Must have been "nutty"!! TBH, a 4274 feels plenty for me, this "Queens Hobby" is a tad soft compared to the Tenshock but, still "enough" I'm convinced. Especially if I go 6s. I had thoughts of relocating the esc to the stock radio box location to give a little more front bias to the truck. I had to "raise and rotate" the esc to fit the 4274. My biggest issue right now is steering, just simply doesn't steer "on throttle".. I know this is to be expected with HCG and short wheelbase but, by comparison, the Maxx does turn way better..

View attachment 305749

How it sold.

View attachment 305750
Was that a 4282 in the top pic? I did bend the cheesy stock motor mount over the winter jumping snowbanks with the 4274 installed. I straightened it and added some o rings to the motor to try and prevent it from bending again. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Wow! Must have been "nutty"!! TBH, a 4274 feels plenty for me, this "Queens Hobby" is a tad soft compared to the Tenshock but, still "enough" I'm convinced. Especially if I go 6s. I had thoughts of relocating the esc to the stock radio box location to give a little more front bias to the truck. I had to "raise and rotate" the esc to fit the 4274. My biggest issue right now is steering, just simply doesn't steer "on throttle".. I know this is to be expected with HCG and short wheelbase but, by comparison, the Maxx does turn way better..

Was that a 4282 in the top pic? I did bend the cheesy stock motor mount over the winter jumping snowbanks with the 4274 installed. I straightened it and added some o rings to the motor to try and prevent it from bending again. So far, so good.

4985 lol.. I removed material on the chassis to fit, the side/bottom of the can rested on the chassis. Thing was stupid, it could mince that whole truck with the wrong person on the TQ. I'll have to look but if I find more pics of that thing built ill post up. I only built that because at the time there were a coupla guys in here hating on my overbuilds. I was bored.

Took delivery of the EXT last night. Was driving around on the street with the 4000mah 6s brick i have. Overall, i can definitely agree that a 4068 is on the small size for this rig. Gets warms quick and lack low end grunt to manage the vehicle properly. Much like the 3s arrma's, they have "power", but it takes some spinning up to get there. I think a quality 4274 would be good, but something slightly larger like a cheapo 4282 would be my choice (at least for the longer wheelbase EXT).

The stock Kaiju motor mount is pretty wimpy. The EXT one is almost twice as thick. Wonder if there is a way to retrofit one into the OG.

I highly recommend the light 6s brick. Keep it under 600g (about the weight of a 6000mah 4s pack), you don't need a high C pack, something around 4000mah. My 6s brick doesn't have as much power as my 2x 3s packs do (with a total weight of 660g) but those are heavy enough to notice the weight difference.

Took delivery of the EXT last night. Was driving around on the street with the 4000mah 6s brick i have. Overall, i can definitely agree that a 4068 is on the small size for this rig. Gets warms quick and lack low end grunt to manage the vehicle properly. Much like the 3s arrma's, they have "power", but it takes some spinning up to get there. I think a quality 4274 would be good, but something slightly larger like a cheapo 4282 would be my choice (at least for the longer wheelbase EXT).

The stock Kaiju motor mount is pretty wimpy. The EXT one is almost twice as thick. Wonder if there is a way to retrofit one into the OG.

I highly recommend the light 6s brick. Keep it under 600g (about the weight of a 6000mah 4s pack), you don't need a high C pack, something around 4000mah. My 6s brick doesn't have as much power as my 2x 3s packs do (with a total weight of 660g) but those are heavy enough to notice the weight difference.
Good stuff! Glad to hear. Agreed, a good 4274 or budget 4282 will give all the Kaiju needs, short or long wheelbase. Make sure to drop some kv's when you do. 1500kv is about right I think. I wondered about the motor mount too.. so far mine's holding. I had thoughts of tracing it out on a better grade sheet and making one, perhaps if it bends again..
Pics, or it never happened! LOL 😁🍻
4985 lol.. I removed material on the chassis to fit, the side/bottom of the can rested on the chassis. Thing was stupid, it could mince that whole truck with the wrong person on the TQ. I'll have to look but if I find more pics of that thing built ill post up. I only built that because at the time there were a coupla guys in here hating on my overbuilds. I was bored.
Oh man!! 4985 would shred those sintered gears!!😂😂
While I am conservative myself with power, I can appreciate those with a more aggressive approach. 😉🍻

Good stuff! Glad to hear. Agreed, a good 4274 or budget 4282 will give all the Kaiju needs, short or long wheelbase. Make sure to drop some kv's when you do. 1500kv is about right I think. I wondered about the motor mount too.. so far mine's holding. I had thoughts of tracing it out on a better grade sheet and making one, perhaps if it bends again..
Pics, or it never happened! LOL 😁🍻

Oh man!! 4985 would shred those sintered gears!!😂😂
While I am conservative myself with power, I can appreciate those with a more aggressive approach. 😉🍻
Will throw some pictures on eventually! You and @gotnitro have given me some good ideas here. I hadn't though about rearranging the chassis, but that's an interesting idea. I tend to lean more towards "excess power" as well... :LOL:

Will throw some pictures on eventually! You and @gotnitro have given me some good ideas here. I hadn't though about rearranging the chassis, but that's an interesting idea. I tend to lean more towards "excess power" as well... :LOL:
Glad to hear. The 4068 was never the right choice for the Kaiju.. Then there's the diff gear ratio which is kinda wonky. Not sure what that ratio is, but pretty confident it's not the "norm". If it were, it wouldn't have come stock with nearly the smallest pinion gear available in the range.. thankfully we have the ability to corroborate here to hash these things out together!🍻

I'm gonna pick up a couple 3s packs between 3-4.0A.. pickings are slim for 4000mah 3s I'm finding.. have to wait till after father's day though. Hopefully I get a few gift cards😁
I figure 2x3s is more practical for me than 6s bricks since I have quite a few 1/10 scales I can use 3s in. Plus, if I loose a cell, it doesn't hurt soo bad tossing a 3s away..
Then I can finally try my MT/ET48 on 6s too. Not sure thats really a good idea but.. my Kronos is itching for some 6s action to. Does okay on 4s but I know it'll be epic on 6s.

I'm gonna pick up a couple 3s packs between 3-4.0A.. pickings are slim for 4000mah 3s I'm finding.. have to wait till after father's day though. Hopefully I get a few gift cards😁
I figure 2x3s is more practical for me than 6s bricks since I have quite a few 1/10 scales I can use 3s in. Plus, if I loose a cell, it doesn't hurt soo bad tossing a 3s away..
Then I can finally try my MT/ET48 on 6s too. Not sure thats really a good idea but.. my Kronos is itching for some 6s action to. Does okay on 4s but I know it'll be epic on 6s.
My only issue with the 3s packs is that in the 3-4k mah range, they tend to be really subpar cells and pack designs. Like the several 2500 and 3500 Zeee packs i've had held less than half of their stated capacity, and some that under even moderate load trigger LVC early because they have such bad voltage sag. Hopefully you can get some decent luck on finding one! You might also consider looking at the low C rating 5000 mah 3s packs, as those are usually lower weight.

Once you go 6s, it's really hard to go back. Just so you're aware before hand ;) I even went so far as to convince my buddy to stick to 4s with his MT410 from the get go, cause I spent most of the past year running the MT410 on 6s and when i tried to go back to a 4s pack, i was super underwhelmed!

My only issue with the 3s packs is that in the 3-4k mah range, they tend to be really subpar cells and pack designs. Like the several 2500 and 3500 Zeee packs i've had held less than half of their stated capacity, and some that under even moderate load trigger LVC early because they have such bad voltage sag. Hopefully you can get some decent luck on finding one! You might also consider looking at the low C rating 5000 mah 3s packs, as those are usually lower weight.

Once you go 6s, it's really hard to go back. Just so you're aware before hand ;) I even went so far as to convince my buddy to stick to 4s with his MT410 from the get go, cause I spent most of the past year running the MT410 on 6s and when i tried to go back to a 4s pack, i was super underwhelmed!
Hmm.. that's not what I like to hear.. I believe you, just don't like it. LOL
I have run 6s in everything except the Tekno before. The Kronos was spitting tires everywhere, as I suspect the Tekno will too!!
Might have to re think it..not sure.
I could just grab a pair to try for $40. I'm sure they'd suffice in a 1/10 at least if they don't in my 1/8...
Belted tires just don't drive well IMO, too stiff and heavy. I really only bash on the track during summer, snowbanks and driveway during winter.. no high speeds in my uses.

Aside from the redcat being redcat (picture below), overall impressed with the EXT. They made alot of good design changes overall
20230618_165758.jpg
20230618_132954.jpg

The motor mount is substantially beefier, it's still intuitive to take apart, there is lots of room in the chassis to work with everything, and the tires balanced out pretty well (though it took some weight). Threw in the spektrum 4074 I had laying around with a 40mm fan mount, slapped some washer over the shock cap screws, balanced the tires, and filled up the diff with 500k. Looking forward to seeing how it does ripping through the nearby field!
20230618_162635.jpg

Aside from the redcat being redcat (picture below), overall impressed with the EXT. They made alot of good design changes overall
View attachment 306696View attachment 306697
The motor mount is substantially beefier, it's still intuitive to take apart, there is lots of room in the chassis to work with everything, and the tires balanced out pretty well (though it took some weight). Threw in the spektrum 4074 I had laying around with a 40mm fan mount, slapped some washer over the shock cap screws, balanced the tires, and filled up the diff with 500k. Looking forward to seeing how it does ripping through the nearby field!
View attachment 306701
Lookin good!! Assuming the T-plugs aren't staying? I was gonna pick some lower mah 3s to try running 6s, probably still will pick at least a pair, but the rest of the Father's day money is going into an EXT conversion.. my Kaiju needs some love so. Why not.

Lookin good!! Assuming the T-plugs aren't staying? I was gonna pick some lower mah 3s to try running 6s, probably still will pick at least a pair, but the rest of the Father's day money is going into an EXT conversion.. my Kaiju needs some love so. Why not.
Would you guys be interested in buying another Kaiju? My buddy has one, he takes really good care of his stuff, and is getting tired of breaking stuff barely bashing. He was fired up yesterday 🤣 Said...I'm gonna fix this thing one more time and sell it! 😂 He mentioned $100 but think he was upset when said price was mentioned. Honestly...I've seen that thing break multiple times with small to non existent jumps. Just driving around and break 😜 I told him about this thread and how happy ya'll seem to be 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also..I have a shredder with a bunch of parts I'd be willing to sell super cheap. I joked we should do a redcat combo/package 😝

Would you guys be interested in buying another Kaiju? My buddy has one, he takes really good care of his stuff, and is getting tired of breaking stuff barely bashing. He was fired up yesterday 🤣 Said...I'm gonna fix this thing one more time and sell it! 😂 He mentioned $100 but think he was upset when said price was mentioned. Honestly...I've seen that thing break multiple times with small to non existent jumps. Just driving around and break 😜 I told him about this thread and how happy ya'll seem to be 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also..I have a shredder with a bunch of parts I'd be willing to sell super cheap. I joked we should do a redcat combo/package 😝
I don't have funds for a purchase like that tbh.. Shredder!?🤣🤣 No thank you!! LOL.
I've seen the Shredder in action, while it does run okay, it's a "delicate flower".
What kinds of breakage is he getting from the Kaiju? Front C hubs and upper arms were the most common for me. I picked up the Redcat aluminum C hubs, replaced upper arms with 5mm camber links, haven't broken any of those in at least a year and a half..
I took it further though by using Mojave rear arms at all 4 corners on my Kaiju..bulkhead breaks before the arms do now,LOL.

I saw one of the towers pulling out of the bulkhead and he said he just fixed that. Shock was broke from the factory. Dog bones kept coming out yesterday. Not sure what else but I know there's more. He is a redcat fan...he has a bunch of crawlers and drag cars that he's built. He has both models of the kaiju. I knew better after the pile of 💩 the shredder turned into 😂 That brand of bashers must be for beginners and non-hobby grade enthusiasts. I want a low rider but they look like they are over priced and underpowered. Yeh I know it's not made for bashing but for 5-600 I expect a little more.

I saw one of the towers pulling out of the bulkhead and he said he just fixed that. Shock was broke from the factory. Dog bones kept coming out yesterday. Not sure what else but I know there's more. He is a redcat fan...he has a bunch of crawlers and drag cars that he's built. He has both models of the kaiju. I knew better after the pile of 💩 the shredder turned into 😂 That brand of bashers must be for beginners and non-hobby grade enthusiasts. I want a low rider but they look like they are over priced and underpowered. Yeh I know it's not made for bashing but for 5-600 I expect a little more.
I see. I haven't experienced the towers pulling out, have had shocks pop off the upper mounts, fixed that with some convex washers. The dogbones popping I have experienced a few times. As well as bent cvds.. I'm guessing you mean the cvd is coming out of the diff cups? Over extension or compression of the suspension is likely the culprit. One of the reasons I went to Mojo arms on mine. The stock are soo flexible.. it's recommended to lay the shocks over as far as possible to prevent the cvds from sliding out of the diff cups. So, outermost holes in the arms, inner most holes at the tower for the shocks.. compress the suspension by hand as far as you can to see if that's what's happening...if needed, he can stack some o rings or a piece of fuel line above the shock rod end. Between the rod end and shock body to prevent the arms from traveling too far upward..

Thats why it's such a good value during these June sales they've had every year. $330 for a kaiju? Yes please!

I honestly can't relate to your buddy's experience with the kaiju. Mine has taking by far the most abuse of any of my trucks by miles and aside from cheap or easily DIY repairs, it's been almost maintenance free.

I swapped over to the v2 upper arms and 5mm turnbuckles, no more problems there. I occasionally break one at the inner hinge pin, but that's from huge impacts, so I'm not surprised about a cheap 2 or 3 dollar replacement every now and then.
20230619_072828.jpg

The chassis has a minor crack from landing on the steel edge of a skatepark quarter pipe from 15 or 20 ft in the air. Can't really fault the kaiju for that. And that was 3 or 4 months ago. Still been driving it like this with no problems.
20230619_072913.jpg

The diff outdrive split last December or January. It's kept driving ever since with no problems--on 6s no less-- and I haven't felt the need to change it yet.
20230619_073000.jpg

I've replaced the casters and rear hub carriers for aluminum, but since I got the truck for $330, I didn't feel too bad. And that was after months of serious hard bashing. I keep the steering knuckles plastic as a "fuse". But only broken one of those.

A few other things here and there, but most of it was DIY possible, not necessary, or super cheap to replace. Still stock servo, stock motor, stock ESC. Can't say that with my Arrmas. The stock plastic ESC fan finally just died a few weeks ago, after running for a year! I've bent the motor plate and was running on a loose motor mount for a few weeks. My fault I didn't notice. But I didn't even notice any issues because the kaiju was still driving like normal!! I took it apart for something unrelated, and once I saw it flopping around, I tightened the bolts up with some more loctite and it's been fine since.

I can't begin to describe how much abuse this thing as taken, with next to no major repairs! Frankly, it's been an awesome truck! Sucks that your buddy has had a rough time with his :confused:

Thats why it's such a good value during these June sales they've had every year. $330 for a kaiju? Yes please!

I honestly can't relate to your buddy's experience with the kaiju. Mine has taking by far the most abuse of any of my trucks by miles and aside from cheap or easily DIY repairs, it's been almost maintenance free.

I swapped over to the v2 upper arms and 5mm turnbuckles, no more problems there. I occasionally break one at the inner hinge pin, but that's from huge impacts, so I'm not surprised about a cheap 2 or 3 dollar replacement every now and then.
View attachment 306751
The chassis has a minor crack from landing on the steel edge of a skatepark quarter pipe from 15 or 20 ft in the air. Can't really fault the kaiju for that. And that was 3 or 4 months ago. Still been driving it like this with no problems.
View attachment 306752
The diff outdrive split last December or January. It's kept driving ever since with no problems--on 6s no less-- and I haven't felt the need to change it yet.
View attachment 306753
I've replaced the casters and rear hub carriers for aluminum, but since I got the truck for $330, I didn't feel too bad. And that was after months of serious hard bashing. I keep the steering knuckles plastic as a "fuse". But only broken one of those.

A few other things here and there, but most of it was DIY possible, not necessary, or super cheap to replace. Still stock servo, stock motor, stock ESC. Can't say that with my Arrmas. The stock plastic ESC fan finally just died a few weeks ago, after running for a year! I've bent the motor plate and was running on a loose motor mount for a few weeks. My fault I didn't notice. But I didn't even notice any issues because the kaiju was still driving like normal!! I took it apart for something unrelated, and once I saw it flopping around, I tightened the bolts up with some more loctite and it's been fine since.

I can't begin to describe how much abuse this thing as taken, with next to no major repairs! Frankly, it's been an awesome truck! Sucks that your buddy has had a rough time with his :confused:
So...is that a yes? You're interested..😝

So...is that a yes? You're interested..😝
I've already got an OG kaiju and just bought the EXT a week ago. And a crawlers for Father's day. My budget is blown for the next long time :LOL:
EXT conversion would be kicking! I'll drive the EXT today and let you know how differently it drives. It won't be used for the same type of driving as the OG, but I should get a good idea how different the LWB makes!

And yeah, in my excitement yesterday of putting on the 4074 and going over the truck, I forgot to solder on new connectors :p I'm sure I can run it a time or two on the adapters until I get more time.

Back