Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KnowAir, I saw this posted on sale at rcjuice.
https://www.rcjuice.com/sale/hobbys...s-motor-temperature-protection-1-8-truck.html
View attachment 308032
And then I remembered our conversation about the pinion sizes available for the EXT... 🤦‍♂️
I think the 1780 on 6s would provide plenty of speed for me..tires can be used as a gearing tool also. I have a v1 4092 in my Kraton XL, 1650kv.. I haven't run the XL much since I finished it. Since I don't bash anywhere but home, I haven't really found much use for it yet. Perhaps winter..snow bashing with big tires should be good.
That's a thought... I had considered just re punching holes closer together, like you mentioned. Maybe worth a shot.

I know what you mean about thinner diff fluids. I used to run my HPI bullet as a street basher a while back. Diff were running basically "moist" after all the fluid had leaked out. It would diff out to one wheel all the time on heavy throttle, But consequently, it would also corner on a dime! When i finally went it to service and refill the diffs, all i had at the time was 30k. So the front got 30k. Needless to say, cornering suffered :LOL:

I'm not sure why bashers always use heavier weight oil than racers, maybe because they run too much power? Desire to wheelie? :unsure:

I'm with you. That's why the MT410 is so much fun. Watching the suspension just soak up the bumps while continuously putting power down is super satisfying. Half the fun is the body roll and the risk of flipping over! Takes more skill to keep the lumbering MTs on 4 wheels when cornering fast! At least that's what i'll keep telling myself.
I think the thick fluid is used to provide maximum forward thrust from all 4 tires at any given time with little regards to handling. Better for stunting..

Already at $160 and more to spend? You were over half way there to a new EXT anyway! ;) What did you need to convert to the EXT? Chassis, motor mount, driveshaft, and center skid piece? maybe wing mount/wing if you fancy?

Yeah Jenny's can be pretty unrealistic with prices sometimes. $80 shipped for a set of backflip LPs (when in stock)? When you can just buy two pairs off of amazon for $70 shipped and have amazon back you up if something is wrong? Or $29 shipped for two metal 4s diff input gears and some bearings when you can buy a single gear from amazon for $13 shipped? Seems like a no brainer to go with something like amazon in lots of cases.

I don't get that either.
Maybe the LP 4S are more in demand?
Or it's a mistake.

I find Jenny is usually cheaper.

Dboots Backflip 3.8 MT 6S
(2) pairs of Amazon are $90 ($45/pair)
(4) from JennyRC are $65

Dboots Backflip 3.8 LP 4S
(2) pairs of Amazon are $70 ($35/pair)
(4) from JennyRC are $66 ??

Dboots Fortress 6S, Gunmetal (ARA550069)
(2) pairs of Amazon are $104 ($52/pair)
(4) from JennyRC are $79

I think the 1780 on 6s would provide plenty of speed for me..tires can be used as a gearing tool also. I have a v1 4092 in my Kraton XL, 1650kv.. I haven't run the XL much since I finished it. Since I don't bash anywhere but home, I haven't really found much use for it yet. Perhaps winter..snow bashing with big tires should be good.

I think the thick fluid is used to provide maximum forward thrust from all 4 tires at any given time with little regards to handling. Better for stunting..
I can tell you and I have much different speed needs ;) and that's all good, everyone's got a different style.

Yeah I'm sure I could mess with tires to get the right gearing. I'd usually like to match my motor/pinion/spur to my tire size. Since you can find basically any kv option under the rainbow (and then some with surpass...) and pinion size to meet your needs. But tires are much harder to find a good set that matches the weight, offset, and diameter you need just right. Also I feel like it's much easier to "gear down" with tires than gear up, since by getting bigger tires you usually add weight too. I'll probably just have to remind myself that I'm sticking with the 4074 kraton motor for a while.

I don't get that either.
Or it's a mistake.

(4) from JennyRC are $65

(4) from JennyRC are $79
Or like the 4s spektrum ESCs being more ($87) expensive than the 6s ESCs ($86)....? That makes sense....

I used to do jennys alot more. But now I usually try to minimize extra spare parts, so like buying the single part I need off a different kit breaker or ebay seller saves some money and space in the garage.

I don't get that either.
Or it's a mistake.

(4) from JennyRC are $65

(4) from JennyRC are $79
Yep, gotta do ur homework for sure..$81.79 for a set of Kaiju EXT tires from JRC, $66 from Redcat.. alot of places give free shipping too. Never from JRC. Not knocking them, I've spent alot there, great service too. Just pays to shop around though.
I can tell you and I have much different speed needs ;) and that's all good, everyone's got a different style.

Yeah I'm sure I could mess with tires to get the right gearing. I'd usually like to match my motor/pinion/spur to my tire size. Since you can find basically any kv option under the rainbow (and then some with surpass...) and pinion size to meet your needs. But tires are much harder to find a good set that matches the weight, offset, and diameter you need just right. Also I feel like it's much easier to "gear down" with tires than gear up, since by getting bigger tires you usually add weight too. I'll probably just have to remind myself that I'm sticking with the 4074 kraton motor for a while.

Or like the 4s spektrum ESCs being more ($87) expensive than the 6s ESCs ($86)....? That makes sense....

I used to do jennys alot more. But now I usually try to minimize extra spare parts, so like buying the single part I need off a different kit breaker or ebay seller saves some money and space in the garage.
LOL!! Yeah, when I say I don't care how many mph someone's getting I mean it. It's just irrelevant to me. It's fast enough or it ain't 🤷‍♂️
Not sure what this formula is you speak of with kv,gearing and tire size? 🤪 If I need a calculator to set up or build an rc, I'm not interested, LOL. Just me.😉

Last edited:
I reworked my rear body mounts, dumped the "gray matter" from the rear shocks and filled with some nice red drank (Losi 50wt). I also reworked the front bumper to prevent it from pushing back on the body at rest. I realized that the Mojo arms combined with Kaiju shocks is limiting my downward suspension travel by quite a bit. Might have to look for some longer shocks. I'd guess the same is happening at the front. I have Thunder Tiger shocks up front right now. The Mojo arms there cuts the downward travel too. Since I mainly run it on a track, I don't think it's hurting anything.

20230626_210335.jpg

20230626_210314.jpg

20230626_210349.jpg

20230626_210358.jpg

I reworked my rear body mounts, dumped the "gray matter" from the rear shocks and filled with some nice red drank (Losi 50wt). I also reworked the front bumper to prevent it from pushing back on the body at rest. I realized that the Mojo arms combined with Kaiju shocks is limiting my downward suspension travel by quite a bit. Might have to look for some longer shocks. I'd guess the same is happening at the front. I have Thunder Tiger shocks up front right now. The Mojo arms there cuts the downward travel too. Since I mainly run it on a track, I don't think it's hurting anything.

View attachment 308140

View attachment 308141

View attachment 308142

View attachment 308143
Is that due to the different angle the shocks are sitting at now, like they sit farther out on the arms? How much longer do you think you need for shocks? Looks like Jennys says the rear Kaiju shocks are 10mm longer than the front. Maybe you could swap the rears to the front and then find a set for the rear? I'd try the MT410 rear shocks on the rear of the kaiju, it appears those are 10mm longer than kaiju stock rears. You could swap over the mt410 shocks just for a test fit and see. Jennys has the tekno mt410 rear shocks in stock, fwiw.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/te...cks-bag-m-dampers-137mm-set-w-springs-tkr5603

Is that due to the different angle the shocks are sitting at now, like they sit farther out on the arms? How much longer do you think you need for shocks? Looks like Jennys says the rear Kaiju shocks are 10mm longer than the front. Maybe you could swap the rears to the front and then find a set for the rear? I'd try the MT410 rear shocks on the rear of the kaiju, it appears those are 10mm longer than kaiju stock rears. You could swap over the mt410 shocks just for a test fit and see. Jennys has the tekno mt410 rear shocks in stock, fwiw.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/te...cks-bag-m-dampers-137mm-set-w-springs-tkr5603
Nice! That's a really good price for the Tekno shocks!
Yes, it's the hole location in the Mojo arms. At the front I have the C hubs that are hitting the arms that's limiting down travel..along with the shocks being too short. I've been running it this way for about a year now. It's "like" having droop screws..at the potential expense of ripping the shocks apart though,LOL. I gotta say, while the Kaiju shocks aren't the best I've had, they're pretty darned tough!! Going for 3 years worth of neglect/abuse with nothing more than fluid changes. That's saying something IMO.

Nice! That's a really good price for the Tekno shocks!
Yes, it's the hole location in the Mojo arms. At the front I have the C hubs that are hitting the arms that's limiting down travel..along with the shocks being too short. I've been running it this way for about a year now. It's "like" having droop screws..at the potential expense of ripping the shocks apart though,LOL. I gotta say, while the Kaiju shocks aren't the best I've had, they're pretty darned tough!! Going for 3 years worth of neglect/abuse with nothing more than fluid changes. That's saying something IMO.
Exactly. I remember buying the aluminum shock caps a while back and thinking it was all mostly unnecessary. The only reason i did it was because at the time it was cheaper than the plastic ones!! Really the only issue with the shocks is the pivot ball/shock perch. The plastic inserts they use just seem to break easily (at least with the aluminum caps). But that's solved with washers. the only reason i broke the plastic shock cap was because the kaiju weighed 20 pounds with slush and I kept on bashing!!

Honestly, i'm really surprised that, with how overdampened the stock shocks come, i haven't seen more people destroying pistons or shock caps or rod ends more often! I know the screws that hold the shocks into the tower at the top are definitely not straight anymore :LOL: getting those out can sometimes be a pain, but that's about it.

Exactly. I remember buying the aluminum shock caps a while back and thinking it was all mostly unnecessary. The only reason i did it was because at the time it was cheaper than the plastic ones!! Really the only issue with the shocks is the pivot ball/shock perch. The plastic inserts they use just seem to break easily (at least with the aluminum caps). But that's solved with washers. the only reason i broke the plastic shock cap was because the kaiju weighed 20 pounds with slush and I kept on bashing!!

Honestly, i'm really surprised that, with how overdampened the stock shocks come, i haven't seen more people destroying pistons or shock caps or rod ends more often! I know the screws that hold the shocks into the tower at the top are definitely not straight anymore :LOL: getting those out can sometimes be a pain, but that's about it.
Yep, I bought the aluminum caps about a year ago..still haven't used them,LOL. My bottom pivots are getting sloppy, top are solid. I too added washers after the second time a cap popped off the pivot ball. Also, I put the longest socket head cap screws I had into each upper shock mount, body mounts too. The aluminum angle I used for body mounts has been simply unbreakable, even the Losi body posts, never broke one. At least not on the Kaiju, MT410 I broke a post or 2, was running the same setup with aluminum angle on that for quite some time.

For those interested in trying a light 6s lipo on the kaiju (or MT410), I have one of these and my all accounts, its been a great battery. Only $40 right now!
https://a.co/d/eit7NDP
Screenshot_20230712-190623_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Withstood countless hard crashes in the kaiju (the bottom cell may be smashed back a bit...) and still balances out well after a year. IR is about 3.5 to 4 mOhm per cell, and pretty evenly matched, which is more than acceptable for this truck on 6s. It works with the stock battery straps, no problem and weighs just a hair over what a 6000mah 4s lipo weighs. The only issue I had was with the balance wire cutting in half, but that's my fault for not securing them down like I should have.

For those interested in trying a light 6s lipo on the kaiju (or MT410), I have one of these and my all accounts, its been a great battery. Only $40 right now!
https://a.co/d/eit7NDP
View attachment 311037
Withstood countless hard crashes in the kaiju (the bottom cell may be smashed back a bit...) and still balances out well after a year. IR is about 3.5 to 4 mOhm per cell, and pretty evenly matched, which is more than acceptable for this truck on 6s. It works with the stock battery straps, no problem and weighs just a hair over what a 6000mah 4s lipo weighs. The only issue I had was with the balance wire cutting in half, but that's my fault for not securing them down like I should have.
Nice! I did see a couple nice deals on the Socokin batteries during prime days.. however, I had just bought 2 6s x 4000mah 100C Zeee's for $50 a piece.. @SrC Was right too..the ir's are kinda all over on these. I actually bought 4, 6s batteries from Zeee, the other 2 are 5200mah 100C. I am tempted to reach out, but I've actually already cut the EC5's off and soldered on XT90's..too late I think. Oh well, I'll just stick my head in the sand and run em like I normally do!🤪😜
FWIW, I do have a pair of Socokin 2s 5200 80C that have been stellar for almost a year now, ir's are near perfect between cells..
As a side note, I have a 3s 5200 50C Zeee battery that's almost 2 years old, perfect. Weird, I feel like Zeee's have gotten worse since becomming more popular? As soon as they started using higher "C" ratings, they have gone down in quality. Back when I bought the 3s Zeee and most of my 2s from them, 70C was the highest I remember seeing from them..now, they don't seem as good.
Oh, and yes, 4000 6s is perfect fit in the Kaiju! They get a little warm, say 110f..but wow, 6s is bonkeers even in the EXT.
I thought about trying one in my ET48 but..nah. It's perfect on 4s IMO. Definitely doesn't need to go any faster.

Nice! I did see a couple nice deals on the Socokin batteries during prime days.. however, I had just bought 2 6s x 4000mah 100C Zeee's for $50 a piece.. @SrC Was right too..the ir's are kinda all over on these. I actually bought 4, 6s batteries from Zeee, the other 2 are 5200mah 100C. I am tempted to reach out, but I've actually already cut the EC5's off and soldered on XT90's..too late I think. Oh well, I'll just stick my head in the sand and run em like I normally do!🤪😜
FWIW, I do have a pair of Socokin 2s 5200 80C that have been stellar for almost a year now, ir's are near perfect between cells..
As a side note, I have a 3s 5200 50C Zeee battery that's almost 2 years old, perfect. Weird, I feel like Zeee's have gotten worse since becomming more popular? As soon as they started using higher "C" ratings, they have gone down in quality. Back when I bought the 3s Zeee and most of my 2s from them, 70C was the highest I remember seeing from them..now, they don't seem as good.
Oh, and yes, 4000 6s is perfect fit in the Kaiju! They get a little warm, say 110f..but wow, 6s is bonkeers even in the EXT.
I thought about trying one in my ET48 but..nah. It's perfect on 4s IMO. Definitely doesn't need to go any faster.
I have a few zeee's as well. Nothing special for sure. The "premium" zee lipos I had were probably okay, but I ran them in my kraton and that was too much for them.

For these light 6s packs, I've been sticking to cheap. They don't see much draw on these lighter 6s capable trucks, so they last quite a while. I'm always tempted to try something new though. Looks like the socokin deal was already passed...? I thought prime day was 13th, not the 12th LOL. I had a Yowoo graphene in mind as well that would have been $50, but looks like the price went up on that too. I don't think I understand Amazon sometimes 🙄

EDIT: oh looks like prime days is 11th and 12th. Guess it's my fault haha

Last edited:
I have a few zeee's as well. Nothing special for sure. The "premium" zee lipos I had were probably okay, but I ran them in my kraton and that was too much for them.

For these light 6s packs, I've been sticking to cheap. They don't see much draw on these lighter 6s capable trucks, so they last quite a while. I'm always tempted to try something new though. Looks like the socokin deal was already passed...? I thought prime day was 13th, not the 12th LOL. I had a Yowoo graphene in mind as well that would have been $50, but looks like the price went up on that too. I don't think I understand Amazon sometimes 🙄
At one point I had like 20 Zeee batteries. I bought them about 3 years ago when they were actually cheap to buy.. I recently had to "retire" 4 or 5 of them due to bad cells.. still have em, just not using. I wanted to salvage the good cells but after taking them apart, not so sure I'm that ambitious..🤔😮💣💥🔥..🤣🤣
Prime day was actually 2 days this year.. I didn't get anything cuz I'm always broke. But yeah, amazons price gouging is real for sure. Soon as they get a hit on something, bam, price increase.. I've seen it way too many times to be coincidence.. which is why I went Zeee power direct on my last purchase..saved some coin over amazon's prices too. Funny though, they actually shipped from amazon warehouses..
I bought some Sypom 3s batteries about a year ago. $38 for a pair, 5500 80C. They're great! Then once they actually started selling, prices went up..onto the next unheard of brand!🤷‍♂️😉🤣🤣

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe time for a new chassis?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 323769
How did you do that? I lost signal on my Kaiju once (crappy stock remote), and I hit a wall head on doing around 40 mph. Only the center driveshaft bent, the front bulkhead cracked and I destroyed the the front bumper, but the chassis was intact 🤣

How did you do that? I lost signal on my Kaiju once (crappy stock remote), and I hit a wall head on doing around 40 mph. Only the center driveshaft bent, the front bulkhead cracked and I destroyed the the front bumper, but the chassis was intact 🤣
I've driven this hard - and i mean HARD - this past year.
That video was tame compared to most hits I've given it.
Definitely not disappointed the chassis cracked, cause it's on me for how rough I drive it. Center driveshaft is still pretty straight, ironically.
And it's been cracked for some time now:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...the-new-redcat-kaiju-mt-1-8.18920/post-951455

Must have been one of the rough hits at the skate park yesterday that propagated the crack from that last post. Skate park edges tend to do that though 🤷‍♂️

Apparently I misplaced one of the lower inner hinge pins for the kaiju when doing maintenance. I cant did it for the life of me. Redcats replacement is too expensive imo (RER12430 is like $15 bucks shipped). They measured 3.44mm in diameter. So do you think I could make a decent one out of this?
https://a.co/d/huWQxfh
Screenshot_20240118-150437_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Or would it be too brittle for a hinge pin because its tool steel? I'd probably just cut off to length with my dremel and cut off wheel and maybe slightly chamfer/round the outside edge. Its significantly cheaper, that's for sure.

Apparently I misplaced one of the lower inner hinge pins for the kaiju when doing maintenance. I cant did it for the life of me. Redcats replacement is too expensive imo (RER12430 is like $15 bucks shipped). They measured 3.44mm in diameter. So do you think I could make a decent one out of this?
https://a.co/d/huWQxfh
View attachment 343205
Or would it be too brittle for a hinge pin because its tool steel? I'd probably just cut off to length with my dremel and cut off wheel and maybe slightly chamfer/round the outside edge. Its significantly cheaper, that's for sure.

I am pretty sure I have seen people use that for hinge pins before. What is the length of the hinge pin?

I am pretty sure I have seen people use that for hinge pins before. What is the length of the hinge pin?
Length is approx 3 inches off the top of my head (give or take) but my "metric" mind did finally catch up with me. Yeah these are just shy of 4 inches. Found a 200mm set of 2 of the same stuff that might be be better suited for this. If that was your point, good looking out 👊

Back