Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Let me know how it stands the test of time. Diy for the win! ๐Ÿคฃ
Will do๐Ÿ‘ Ma nature just dropped a foot of wet snow on us overnight..snowbank time!!๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿป
I will say, it's a bit too rigid.. thinner kydex for the upper support woulda been better. Might have to form a crumple zone into it..
I mean to create some "give" into it..๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Welp, the kaiju do love snow!! I think๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ

20230304_130606.jpg

20230304_130645.jpg

Stock tires started ripping apart this weekend. I'm not mad, i've got decent life out of them for running 6s :ROFLMAO:

Looking at the options:
-stock replacements are around $55
-backflip LPs are around $70 (jennys is never in stock and about the same price when you include shipping)
-copperhead 2 LPs around $60-70 (seem to be harder to find)

I like my full size backflips i run on my kraton, so i'm tempted to spend more to try the LPs out. Anyone run the backflip LPs on the kaiju? Or any other good value options I haven't yet thought of? I usually go for cheap replacements, but i think the backflips would probably last much longer than the stock tires.

Rival MT8 tires/wheels sound promising..see post #11 here.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/any-rival-mt8-owners.53974/#post-904979
Also keep in mind if you run Arrma (or others) backflips, the offset of the wheels are less. May require extended hubs to clear.
Good call. Now that you bring it up, i'm reminded that I tried on the kaiju tires on the MT410 a few weeks back remember it looked super funny with the tires sticking far out. I'm betting it was the different offset.

I have been using this list to track offsets:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/
But something isn't right.

The thread says the kaiju wheels are 1/2 inch and arrma 6s wheels (such as copperhead2's) are 1/4 inch. But the kaiju wheels/tires stuck out farther on the MT410 than the copperhead's I usually run. So that means the kaiju wheels have more negative offset than then arrma wheels. Maybe the thread meant to say the kaiju wheels are -1/2 inch? Or maybe the thread is wrong.

I remember the MT8 tires seemed to balloon quite a bit when i was watching the first reviews. I'll take another look though.

I might pick these up and try out the backflips:
https://www.teamredcatshop.com/store/p1708/redcat-kaiju-aluminum-upgrade-part-13333-wheel-hexes.html
I figure running the wide hex's will counteract the narrow track caused by the arrma wheels on the kaiju, and hopefully not make extra stress somewhere else :unsure:

Good call. Now that you bring it up, i'm reminded that I tried on the kaiju tires on the MT410 a few weeks back remember it looked super funny with the tires sticking far out. I'm betting it was the different offset.

I have been using this list to track offsets:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/
But something isn't right.

The thread says the kaiju wheels are 1/2 inch and arrma 6s wheels (such as copperhead2's) are 1/4 inch. But the kaiju wheels/tires stuck out farther on the MT410 than the copperhead's I usually run. So that means the kaiju wheels have more negative offset than then arrma wheels. Maybe the thread meant to say the kaiju wheels are -1/2 inch? Or maybe the thread is wrong.

I remember the MT8 tires seemed to balloon quite a bit when i was watching the first reviews. I'll take another look though.

I might pick these up and try out the backflips:
https://www.teamredcatshop.com/store/p1708/redcat-kaiju-aluminum-upgrade-part-13333-wheel-hexes.html
I figure running the wide hex's will counteract the narrow track caused by the arrma wheels on the kaiju, and hopefully not make extra stress somewhere else :unsure:
Yep, sounds about right..there's alot of confusion about offset and wheels in the world, LOL. I'm no expert, but my understanding is a wheel that has positive offset means it sticks out further from the hub, negative offset being further inboard..
When I first built out my Mt410 I put kaiju wheels and tires on it. Worked fine of course, but boy was she wide!! I think there's a ideal width for each application and it varies depending on many things. I find that being too wide takes away some of the handling, but too narrow and then they get tippy..
TRX vehicles, as well as Redcat tend to be narrow, relying on a healthy positive offset to achieve good stance/handling. Whereas Tekno, Arrma and others use little to zero offset because the overall chassis is wider..
I feel like the mt410 has more responsive handlig with zero offset.๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Yep, sounds about right..there's alot of confusion about offset and wheels in the world, LOL. I'm no expert, but my understanding is a wheel that has positive offset means it sticks out further from the hub, negative offset being further inboard..
When I first built out my Mt410 I put kaiju wheels and tires on it. Worked fine of course, but boy was she wide!! I think there's a ideal width for each application and it varies depending on many things. I find that being too wide takes away some of the handling, but too narrow and then they get tippy..
TRX vehicles, as well as Redcat tend to be narrow, relying on a healthy positive offset to achieve good stance/handling. Whereas Tekno, Arrma and others use little to zero offset because the overall chassis is wider..
I feel like the mt410 has more responsive handlig with zero offset.๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

You've figured out stuff that 99% of people get wrong... (y)(y)(y)

A couple of small corrections. Technically, more -offset makes the wheels stick out further, but Proline screwed everyone up by calling super narrow wheels "zero offset" and then the wider you go they call it +offset, when technically it's the opposite.

Ideal offset reduces what's called scrub radius, which is based more on pivot ball vs. C-hub style front suspension than wide vs. narrow chassis. The MT410 is a special case because it's based on the ET48 which uses truggy race wheels that are very narrow offset.

This is why you never see me run axle/hub extenders for that super-wide offset. People say it makes the trucks handle better, when in fact as you've seen, it's the complete opposite.

Last edited:
This is why you never see me run axle/hub extenders for that super-wide offset. People say it makes the trucks handle better, when in fact as you've seen, it's the complete opposite.
Agreed, I think some equate more stability to better handling. Sure a wider stance will allow us to stick more landings from stunting, or keep a rig on it's wheels at higher speeds, but in reality that isn't really "better" handling..

You've figured out stuff that 99% of people get wrong... (y)(y)(y)

A couple of small corrections. Technically, more -offset makes the wheels stick out further, but Proline screwed everyone up by calling super narrow wheels "zero offset" and then the wider you go they call it +offset, when technically it's the opposite.

Ideal offset reduces what's called scrub radius, which is based more on pivot ball vs. C-hub style front suspension than wide vs. narrow chassis. The MT410 is a special case because it's based on the ET48 which uses truggy race wheels that are very narrow offset.

Wait, so you mean to tell me that this isn't right???? This is exactly what i had planned next for my kaiju!!!!
1678198947997.png

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The other day I ran my Kaiju for the first time since "the thaw".. was maybe 65f outside. I'm running a 4274 2200kv on 4s, 10/50 gearing with HPI Savage tires(newer one), no motor fan. After 10 minutes of romping around my track the motor hit 190f. I know the 2200kv is wrong for the Kaiju but, that's what I had available. In winter, it was straight awesome.. now, well, not so much.
So I picked up a 4274 1450kv off ebay to try out. See how it goes. I also picked up an assortment of pinions to try. I figure if I can get away with a larger pinion and stay cooler, win-win. Larger pinion should wear slower than a small one๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Screenshot_20230606-120547_Samsung Internet.jpg

The other day I ran my Kaiju for the first time since "the thaw".. was maybe 65f outside. I'm running a 4274 2200kv on 4s, 10/50 gearing with HPI Savage tires(newer one), no motor fan. After 10 minutes of romping around my track the motor hit 190f. I know the 2200kv is wrong for the Kaiju but, that's what I had available. In winter, it was straight awesome.. now, well, not so much.
So I picked up a 4274 1450kv off ebay to try out. See how it goes. I also picked up an assortment of pinions to try. I figure if I can get away with a larger pinion and stay cooler, win-win. Larger pinion should wear slower than a small one๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

View attachment 304195
I hear you, it's always easier to run when it's at least slightly cooler outside. Just reduces the aspect of heat issues.

My motor fans died a while back (generic plastic ones for the yeah racing heat sink) but I've been running on 6s for a year and am just now started to having heat issues. I think the heatsink i installed with silicon thermal pads to improve contact has helped alot. But by now, the stock bearings are starting to be a big crunchy (plenty of rainy day runs through the winter!), so the the heat doesn't come as a surprise. And i guess it is getting warmer, so maybe that's part of the issue as well!

Since i'm cheap though, i've had to ask myself: "which is cheaper, new bearings or a fan?" To which the answer is definitely "a $5 aliexpress fan" :LOL:

I hear you, it's always easier to run when it's at least slightly cooler outside. Just reduces the aspect of heat issues.

My motor fans died a while back (generic plastic ones for the yeah racing heat sink) but I've been running on 6s for a year and am just now started to having heat issues. I think the heatsink i installed with silicon thermal pads to improve contact has helped alot. But by now, the stock bearings are starting to be a big crunchy (plenty of rainy day runs through the winter!), so the the heat doesn't come as a surprise. And i guess it is getting warmer, so maybe that's part of the issue as well!

Since i'm cheap though, i've had to ask myself: "which is cheaper, new bearings or a fan?" To which the answer is definitely "a $5 aliexpress fan" :LOL:
Yeah, mine is due for some maintenance. Likely part of the issue.. I gotta do something with the steering too, it's quite sloppy these days..
I can say that I have absolutely no regerts about buying a Kaiju though, it's really provided a helluva lot o smiles over the years. I still have aspirations of stretching it to an EXT..
BTW, Redcat is having the 30 days of deals again..

mail.jpeg.jpg

Yeah, mine is due for some maintenance. Likely part of the issue.. I gotta do something with the steering too, it's quite sloppy these days..
I can say that I have absolutely no regerts about buying a Kaiju though, it's really provided a helluva lot o smiles over the years. I still have aspirations of stretching it to an EXT..
BTW, Redcat is having the 30 days of deals again..

View attachment 304200
I was looking at getting another RC (no Redcat pun intended) maybe it might just be that my mind is now made up for me! :LOL:

Buying the kaiju last year at $350 was probably one of the best RC purchases I've ever made. I've got some budget saved up, so now I know to be looking. Thanks for the tip!

I was looking at getting another RC (no Redcat pun intended) maybe it might just be that my mind is now made up for me! :LOL:

Buying the kaiju last year at $350 was probably one of the best RC purchases I've ever made. I've got some budget saved up, so now I know to be looking. Thanks for the tip!

@Hector_Fisher , do you get the emails from Redcat?
It's the same format as last year for the discount code.. today it's "DD230606", basically the days date.. tomorrow will be "DD230607" and so on..
Last year I tried to "splain" it but some didn't get it..๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Hector_Fisher , do you get the emails from Redcat?
It's the same format as last year for the discount code.. today it's "DD230606", basically the days date.. tomorrow will be "DD230607" and so on..
Last year I tried to "splain" it but some didn't get it..๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚
Looks like redcat may have gotten some feedback last time about that, cause when I added the crawler for today's deal into my cart, it auto added the discount!

I don't get their emails, probably should just sign up ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Screenshot_20230606-170927_Chrome.jpg

Looks like about a 22% discount. Not too shabby. I don't think they were all the same percentage last year from day to day, but applying the same percentage here, the kaiju should be about $350!

Darn these summer sales!!

Back