ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has the right to their own opinions. While I do prefer the inherent stiffness of an aluminum chassis rig for it's handling benefits, I have also enjoyed the forgiving nature of my plastic chassis rc's as well. I know my Arrma's get just as sloppy with usage as any other brand I have, worse than some, including Traxxas. My K8S has more slop in the upper arm hinges out of the box than my Xmaxx has after 2 years of abuse. The 3 and 4s Arrma's all come with plastic pivot balls on all the links, which is quite poor considering the price. As to the electronics, I haven't really been disappointed by either Arrma or TRX, I cut the plugs off of each without prejudice, LOL. ✂️ At the end of the day, I enjoy each, some I'd buy again, some I won't..

The aftermarket came up with the x-maxx chassis?
Tamiya? Modular, plastic and around 20 years older? Back in the day people would take busted in half trucks and put a 1/8 scale buggy chassis in the middle. The truggy was born! No manufacturer really came up with it as they saw what people did and wanted. Pretty sure the current chassis design is a product of injection molding the part for quicker assembly. I wouldn't call the MAXX chassis a revolutionary design, back in the day it was all about rigid parts, now people want soft spaghetti.

Tamiya? Modular, plastic and around 20 years older? Back in the day people would take busted in half trucks and put a 1/8 scale buggy chassis in the middle. The truggy was born! No manufacturer really came up with it as they saw what people did and wanted. Pretty sure the current chassis design is a product of injection molding the part for quicker assembly. I wouldn't call the MAXX chassis a revolutionary design, back in the day it was all about rigid parts, now people want soft spaghetti.
I've always preferred my spaghetti soft..🤷‍♂️😜
As to who created the modular chassis or what's tougher, Xmaxx vs K8S, I couldn't care less. I like both, so I bought both. What a perfect world!! 🤗

I really wanted a XRT, but this Redcat is very interesting. I already have a Xmaxx , K8, O8, and a DBXL-E 2.0. This would be my last 1/5 scale. After that someone has to go, if I get another. My only question, why Redcat couldn't do what Corrally does and give you different colors from the jump?

I really wanted a XRT, but this Redcat is very interesting. I already have a Xmaxx , K8, O8, and a DBXL-E 2.0. This would be my last 1/5 scale. After that someone has to go, if I get another. My only question, why Redcat couldn't do what Corrally does and give you different colors from the jump?
I agree with everything you said with the exception of getting rid of any, LOL.
I feel there's enough difference in each to still want to own one of each.. ideally anyways. Unfortunately that's not likely for me, too much dough. Plus I hate the act of selling anything myself. I find it frustrating.
As to the Vigilante, I think Redcat nailed it in looks, but also don't want the exact same color as every other.. that's certainly an area where TRX has everyone beat, color options.

I just watched another video from Exocaged rc on the Vigilante. With a 5690 he got 49mph out of it. That's plenty for me from a 25lb rc. He also hinted that Vitavon may start making parts for the Vigilante which will help some. I think the Vigilante will need some updated arms to really be recognized as a hardcore basher. I have to say from the vids I've seen on this truck it would definitely handle my needs quite well in stock form, maybe just a 56mm motor swap would likely be all I'd want besides center diff tuning. Such an awesome looking truck. Might need a wheelie bar too..
The arms survived around 30ft landings into grass. And it wasn't just one jump. I'd say, that's a pretty good track record 🤔

I agree with everything you said with the exception of getting rid of any, LOL.
I feel there's enough difference in each to still want to own one of each.. ideally anyways. Unfortunately that's not likely for me, too much dough. Plus I hate the act of selling anything myself. I find it frustrating.
As to the Vigilante, I think Redcat nailed it in looks, but also don't want the exact same color as every other.. that's certainly an area where TRX has everyone beat, color options.
Hopefully Redcat will start selling clear bodies for the Vigilante at some point. I would definitely enjoy customizing my own body :cool:

Hopefully Redcat will start selling clear bodies for the Vigilante at some point. I would definitely enjoy customizing my own body :cool:
Knowing Redcat's track record with the Kaiju, it's very likely they will.

I for one am excited about the vigilante. I've got the MT10 and Kaiju. Having the vigilante would be the trifecta of that same type of platform and build amongst all the different scales!

I've been looking at the parts breakdown for the Vigilante. I was curious to see what diameter the stub axles are, also bearing sizes, ect.. I see Redcat is using sleeves over the hub bearings, between the bearing outer surface and knuckle inner surface..weird. I would think using the largest sized ball bearings would be ideal for durability? BTW, the aluminum knuckles ain't cheap, fronts are $83 a set. You can see the inserts I'm talking about here..
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/rer26709?variant=40706745040986

That's awesome! And it looks like they aren't screwing people out of the hardware like Arrma did with the BR6S lol. I'm slowly going to start piecing together electronics for a roller. Luckily I already have a spare set of O8S tires laying around :giggle: I think a black body with some old school halogen yellow'ish LEDs would look perfect on it.
I'm probably going to to steal the electronics from my K8S and slap them on a roller Vigilante. I'll probably sell the K8S and O8S as rollers. I'm not saying that the Vigilante is a better vehicle than those two, but I'm a bone head that lands wrong, and the Vigilante, from what I've seen, because of the lower weight (like my X-Maxx and XRT), can survive more of my "user error". Plus, I like the look of the Vigilante better. I'm more into MT vehicles than truggies. Just a personal thing. I could have bought 3 vigilantes with the upgrades I've done to both the K8S and O8S 😅

Last edited:
I've been looking at the parts breakdown for the Vigilante. I was curious to see what diameter the stub axles are, also bearing sizes, ect.. I see Redcat is using sleeves over the hub bearings, between the bearing outer surface and knuckle inner surface..weird. I would think using the largest sized ball bearings would be ideal for durability? BTW, the aluminum knuckles ain't cheap, fronts are $83 a set. You can see the inserts I'm talking about here..
That's not super uncommon for billet machined aluminum pieces. Sure you could make a point about whether redcat's material/machine quality are equivalent here, but when you look aluminum hubs and knuckles for the xmaxx or O8s, it isn't that far off IMO. Personally, I would likely call GPM and hot racing stuff in the same ball park for quality, and they end up being in the similar price range.

I'm probably going to to steal the electronics from my K8S and slap them on a roller Vigilante. I'll probably sell the K8S and O8S as rollers. I'm bit saying that the Vigilante is a better vehicle than those two, but I'm a bone head that lands wrong, and the Vigilante, from what I've seen, because of the lower weight (like my X-Maxx and XRT), can survive more of my "user error". Plus, I like the look of the Vigilante better. I'm more into MT vehicles than truggies. Just a personal thing. I could have bought 3 vigilantes with the upgrades I've done to both the K8S and O8S 😅
Same here, I thoroughly enjoy my K8 (although I am terrified of bad landings also lol), but I prefer the MT look, always have since a kid. The Vigilante will no doubt hold up to crappy landings way better due to the utilization of plastic throughout the chassis. Glad I held off on buying an O8. I was out with a buddy that has a Xmaxx and I was amazed at how well it took the abuse. Just to put things into context, he's fairly new to RC so he has no concept or understanding of air control yet, needless to say it survived some brutal jumps.

That's not super uncommon for billet machined aluminum pieces. Sure you could make a point about whether redcat's material/machine quality are equivalent here, but when you look aluminum hubs and knuckles for the xmaxx or O8s, it isn't that far off IMO. Personally, I would likely call GPM and hot racing stuff in the same ball park for quality, and they end up being in the similar price range.
Agreed. When I saw what even JRC wanted for the TRX aluminum bits from the Ultimate editions of the Xmaxx and XRT, I laughed..makes no sense to me. I'd rather break plastic hubs and replace them for $10 than pay for aluminum just to move the breakage elsewhere. 🤷‍♂️

Same here, I thoroughly enjoy my K8 (although I am terrified of bad landings also lol), but I prefer the MT look, always have since a kid. The Vigilante will no doubt hold up to crappy landings way better due to the utilization of plastic throughout the chassis. Glad I held off on buying an O8. I was out with a buddy that has a Xmaxx and I was amazed at how well it took the abuse. Just to put things into context, he's fairly new to RC so he has no concept or understanding of air control yet, needless to say it survived some brutal jumps.
That's what I'm saying too.. the amount of crashing and tumbling that the Xmaxx can withstand is crazy! I have to assume the XRT is similar? I know the Maxx is also very resistant to casual, as well as brutal collisions.. I do like my K8S, and my bro's O8S, but they are way less forgiving when it comes to bad landings, chance encounters with immovable objects, ect.. they each have their attributes though, Arrma and TRX.. and now RC with the Vigilante, which seems to fall somewhere in the middle in between them. Promising indeed I think.

Last edited:
The biggest downer of the Outcast 8s is the body. It starts falling apart very quickly with crashes and it's not cheap at all. That's another thing that I don't likes about the O8S, besides the ridiculous weight, and the 8s Arrma trucks are way meaner to RC tires too. Once again because of weight 😥

I though it was to prevent wear on the hub in case the bearing locks up. 🤷‍♂️ My LC Racing vehicles are like this, their upgrade aluminum hubs have little plastic things the bearings sit in.

#TeamXRT

Back