Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Length is approx 3 inches off the top of my head (give or take) but my "metric" mind did finally catch up with me. Yeah these are just shy of 4 inches. Found a 200mm set of 2 of the same stuff that might be be better suited for this. If that was your point, good looking out šŸ‘Š
I was gonna suggest to see if any other rc used the same size.

I was gonna suggest to see if any other rc used the same size.
Curiously, the answer is no. With 3mm being pretty thin, I would have guessed to have several with a 3.5mm thickness. Mostly 4mm.

The big rock came closest, and I was about to ream out to 4mm on the kaiju, but the big rock pins are like 6 or 7mm too short.

I used 4mm hinge pins on my Kaiju, along with the Mojo 6s rear lower arms all the way around. I had to drill all the Redcat pieces to accept the 4mm pins. What about Rival MT8 hinge pins? Might be more than Redcat though?
Nevermind, MT8 pins are $20..
Apparently I misplaced one of the lower inner hinge pins for the kaiju when doing maintenance. I cant did it for the life of me. Redcats replacement is too expensive imo (RER12430 is like $15 bucks shipped). They measured 3.44mm in diameter. So do you think I could make a decent one out of this?
https://a.co/d/huWQxfh
View attachment 343205
Or would it be too brittle for a hinge pin because its tool steel? I'd probably just cut off to length with my dremel and cut off wheel and maybe slightly chamfer/round the outside edge. Its significantly cheaper, that's for sure.
I'd give these a go.. otherwise just pony up the $12 for the Redcat pins. Seems inevitable you'll either loose, bend or break another hinge pin at some point down the road.

Last edited:
the chassis looks remarkably similar to an Associated MT10/pro4.
Iirc they were designed and produced in the same factory in China. There are only a handful of factories in China that make rc cars. As an example the factory that makes Arrma also makes FS Racing cars.

I used 4mm hinge pins on my Kaiju, along with the Mojo 6s rear lower arms all the way around. I had to drill all the Redcat pieces to accept the 4mm pins. What about Rival MT8 hinge pins? Might be more than Redcat though?
Nevermind, MT8 pins are $20..

I'd give these a go.. otherwise just pony up the $12 for the Redcat pins. Seems inevitable you'll either loose, bend or break another hinge pin at some point down the road.
I haven't had any issues with the stock ones breaking or bending, so I'd just as soon leave it the same size as the rest for consistency. The only problem I have had with the stock pins is my sausage finger hands dropping it somewhere and not being able to find it! :ROFLMAO:

Got the dowel in this morning and fab'd up a replacement. Fits nicely so far, time will tell durability when I get a chance to get it out. Honestly the only real concern I think I would have is for how corrosion resistant these end up being.

Breaking into the kaiju and doing the overhaul maintenance. Now I know why damping sucked!
20240119_120422.jpg

Diameter is 16mm, shock is 4mm. Any Arrma replacements that would work for this?

I haven't had any issues with the stock ones breaking or bending, so I'd just as soon leave it the same size as the rest for consistency. The only problem I have had with the stock pins is my sausage finger hands dropping it somewhere and not being able to find it! :ROFLMAO:

Got the dowel in this morning and fab'd up a replacement. Fits nicely so far, time will tell durability when I get a chance to get it out. Honestly the only real concern I think I would have is for how corrosion resistant these end up being.
Good deal. Hopefully they hold up well. Funny, I never broke a stock Kaiju pin, but every time I took it apart I'd find the inner lower pins bent.. honestly with the noodle like arms they have, I suspect that saves them from damaging the hinge pins to some degree..
Ever take one of the lower arms and twist it while it's connected to the truck? It's crazy how much and how easily they twist. LOL
Breaking into the kaiju and doing the overhaul maintenance. Now I know why damping sucked!
View attachment 343342
Diameter is 16mm, shock is 4mm. Any Arrma replacements that would work for this?
Arrma v5 blx use 4mm shafts, 16mm diameter. Should work. Tekno too IIRC.

Yup, shock pistons/eclips and hinge pins are the main weaknesses on the car. Even if you land it clean every time, they still bend/break.

Piston thickness might be an issue.. Arrma shock shaft is stepped down where the piston sits, Kaiju uses 2 c clips I see..
Yup, shock pistons/eclips and hinge pins are the main weaknesses on the car. Even if you land it clean every time, they still bend/break.
Yeah, I drilled out the pistons early on after I got the Kaiju, suspension was too slow stock and I didn't want to use thin fluid. Worked out well, couldn't say what size drill bit I used though, was 3+ years ago.

Piston thickness might be an issue.. Arrma shock shaft is stepped down where the piston sits, Kaiju uses 2 c clips I see..

Yeah, I drilled out the pistons early on after I got the Kaiju, suspension was too slow stock and I didn't want to use thin fluid. Worked out well, couldn't say what size drill bit I used though, was 3+ years ago.
You'll notice these were drilled out too! And was running 40wt.

The E clip was warped, so I don't know which went first that or the piston.
20240119_131944.jpg

4mm shaft and 69.5mm long, would it be worth swapping out shock shafts for durability?

Edit: looks like typhon shafts are the right dimensions -- ARA330726
Screenshot_20240119_132729_Chrome.jpg

You'll notice these were drilled out too! And was running 40wt.

The E clip was warped, so I don't know which went first that or the piston.
View attachment 343344
4mm shaft and 69.5mm long, would it be worth swapping out shock shafts for durability?

Edit: looks like typhon shafts are the right dimensions -- ARA330726
View attachment 343345
Good question. I mean while there surely are better, my Kaiju shocks lasted quite a while. Like a couple years. The rears are still on it, I swapped some TT Bushmaster 6s rear shocks for the fronts. Arrma 6s shocks seem decent, if you can find a suitable length from a kit breaker maybe worth it? Or, just rebuild stock? How old is your Kaiju?

Good question. I mean while there surely are better, my Kaiju shocks lasted quite a while. Like a couple years. The rears are still on it, I swapped some TT Bushmaster 6s rear shocks for the fronts. Arrma 6s shocks seem decent, if you can find a suitable length from a kit breaker maybe worth it? Or, just rebuild stock? How old is your Kaiju?
Year and half. I don't have any complaints besides the drilling out more relief holes in the pistons (but once done, should be done), and then now with the breakage. Most redcat replacement piston sets cost $12-15, and come with a bunch of parts I don't really need (shock caps, rod ends, etc). I do like shock pistons held on with fasteners, so I'm leaning towards swapping out pistons/shafts to make maintenence easier in the furture. Just doing the research to make sure I'm looking at the right stuff since everything would come separately.

I do hate e-clips with a fiery passion...

I do hate e-clips with a fiery passion...
Oh yeah, I hear that!! Back in the day, all the RC10 and Losi stuff had the tiny e clips all over the place. I got really good with putting on and taking them off, fast forward 30 years, working on a TRX Bandit I'm like WTF!! These clips suck!! LOL

View attachment 343342
Welp, I jinxed myself.. lost the right rear shock jumping snowbanks last night, LOL
I haven't taken it apart yet, everything looks fine from the outside but, there's no damping action going on..

Welp, I jinxed myself.. lost the right rear shock jumping snowbanks last night, LOL
I haven't taken it apart yet, everything looks fine from the outside but, there's no damping action going on..
I ordered TLR typhon rear shock shafts and stock 6s typhon pistons. Got them in just this Monday. Still waiting on some "proprietary" 3.4mm washers that only arrma makes to finish it up :rolleyes:. I plan to do a dry fit tonight without the washers and see if there are any clearance issues with the bladder/shock cap, and I'll let you know how it goes (y)

I ordered TLR typhon rear shock shafts and stock 6s typhon pistons. Got them in just this Monday. Still waiting on some "proprietary" 3.4mm washers that only arrma makes to finish it up :rolleyes:. I plan to do a dry fit tonight without the washers and see if there are any clearance issues with the bladder/shock cap, and I'll let you know how it goes (y)
Cool, please do. I'm on the fence about what to do.. I mean, they did last 3 years, can buy take offs pretty cheap off ebay. Or, find something better that fits. The Bushmaster shocks have done well on the front of the Kaiju. Mine's a mutt though with the Mojo suspension arms. Front suspension has limited down travel due to them.

I'm going to give the TLR shock shafts a try!! Washers won't be here for another week (thanks amain...), but the pistons are the right size, and the length between stock and the TLR typhon shafts is almost spot on! The only difference is that the pistons sit a little higher on the stock shafts because they use e-clips.
20240201_164043.jpg

They both "hit" the bladder in basically the same location. Which if the rod end is installed all the way, it should hit that before the shaft runs into the bladder for both the stock and the TLR shafts.

This is where the TLR shaft makes contact with the bladder.
20240201_164138.jpg

This is where the stock on makes contact with the bladder.
20240201_164239.jpg

Basically the same!
And the piston seems to be as good as stock.
20240201_164434.jpg

Once the washers come in I'll install all together in both rears and take 'er out for testing. I'm excited to see if this is a viable option! šŸ˜

So turns out the lower c clip broke on mine. I just replaced it since I have the original front shocks as spares. Had some fun with the Kaiju yesterday. My bro came out to do some snow bashing but ended up broke and watching from the sidelines..

So turns out the lower c clip broke on mine. I just replaced it since I have the original front shocks as spares. Had some fun with the Kaiju yesterday. My bro came out to do some snow bashing but ended up broke and watching from the sidelines..
Sounds crunchy! Nice rip (y) What was your brother driving?

I like the idea of relocating the body holes for the rear mount more towards the center of the truck. Getting the stock clips/body together in at the stock location on the EXT is definitely a pain, the angles make it more cumbersome than anything. I may have to come up with something like that for myself. And I agree, i think it looks pretty good without the wing!

How do you like the kaiju tires on the LWB like that? Stock EXT tires don't have much bite, unfortunately.

Back