New HOBBYWING 12s!!! max 5 g2 and motors?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats rough bro! if thats the case you can totally save money and just get a max 5 or mmx8s. I'd still consider some server fans though! I think the max 5 definitely runs cooler than the mmx8s so it might be the better option in your use case. G2 even better!

Edit: I just realized the max 5 g2 says 6-12s and not 4s :eek:
Good you saw that. Thanks!

Are you running a Hobbywing 4985?
After seeing your motor and conservative gearing, I take back my comment about an XLX2. Since an MMX8S fits in the stock location, I would do that with a 4028 fan plugged into the receiver. It’ll run much cooler than a Max6.

I run all of my fans off the BEC since I don’t like the complication of dedicated fan batteries. My basher Infraction has three 4028 server fans with an MMX8S/1650 combo and it runs plenty cool. The BEC handles it all fine.

I think you answered your own question… 250 amps…
Xlx2 can pull more than that. 😂

But a rumor that there will be a new castle next year?
I think you answered your own question… 250 amps…
Xlx2 can pull more than that. 😂

But a rumor that there will be a new castle next year?

The Max 5 is rated 250 amps continuous and 1600 amps max.

After seeing your motor and conservative gearing, I take back my comment about an XLX2. Since an MMX8S fits in the stock location, I would do that with a 4028 fan plugged into the receiver. It’ll run much cooler than a Max6.

I run all of my fans off the BEC since I don’t like the complication of dedicated fan batteries. My basher Infraction has three 4028 server fans with an MMX8S/1650 combo and it runs plenty cool. The BEC handles it all fine.
After my "WTF HAPPENED" phase, I never run fans off my BEC or even receiver. Had my MAx6 combo geared 34/40 so I was running 5 fans just to keep it out of thermal shutdown. And that when fellow members here educated me on a funny thing called "brownouts".
Dedicated battery for fans and lights since.

After my "WTF HAPPENED" phase, I never run fans off my BEC or even receiver. Had my MAx6 combo geared 34/40 so I was running 5 fans just to keep it out of thermal shutdown. And that when fellow members here educated me on a funny thing called "brownouts".
Dedicated battery for fans and lights since.
I hear you. I'll probably do the same if I run into any issues, but so far so good 🤞

Got the MMX8s. Tiny thing. Pity the wires are so short but OK.

Max5 g2 new firmware update

Screenshot_20231224_082631_HW Link V2.jpg

It cost more money. I personally do not care about sensored systems. Hobbywing now went complete U turn and now only want to offer sensored setup and motors. Sensored motors are more fragile and have ussualy shorter rotors. The 4076 motors they offering have a little shorter than a traditional 4074 rotor.

More fragile. Sensors are known to fail. They biffed up the plug but when the sensors inside the motor breaks motor is rendered useless
I love sensored over most any nonsensored setup. Got spoiled. There is a difference.

>>>>But hate to say it, you are right. Sensored motors are more delicate in regards. The 3 Hall Effect sensors on its PCB are delicate. When damaged you can always run them Unsensored however. For bashing extremely hard and fast, seems sensored stuff is far from mandatory anyway. With sensored, throttle inputs are nice and linear from 0 Rpm's and up. No cogging is noticeable. Much more refined at the lower end. But at some point in the power Band, Sensored control becomes Unsensored anyway. Sensored setups can also provide motor Telem data. .i.e Temp, Rpm feedback. Can force a Motor to Thermal cut if overtemping it, much like an ESC will. etc. Sensored setups always have an added layer of complexity to your overall setup. Best to keep sensored motors dry and clean as a rule. If that is not your thing, stay away from sensored.. When opening a sensored motor for maintenance, need to pay extra attention to shimming. The Hall effect sensors/Pcb needs to have a very tight air gap to the rotor. So shimming is very critical. Or your fixed timing advance goes out the window, with poor performance. A fraction of a mm counts here. My BLX motor analyzer reveals this every time.

Last edited:
So wait all I have to do is buy a uncensored motor to make my max5 G2 ESC WORK PROPERLY?????
Yes, the sensor wire is not a requirement. Unpug it and see if the ESC acts normally. You don’t necessarily need a non-sensored motor, you can run them either way.

Honestly, it makes no sense getting a sensored ESC and not using a sensored motor with it. You pay more coin for sensored ESC's. Nothing wrong, just little vaIue for the money spent. It's like buying a turbo'ed engine and removing the turbo, only because it is too complicated and requires more maintenance. The ESC Upgrade industry is all going the Sensored direction anyway. Haven't seen any RTR sensored setups yet.

^^^ I stand corrected. Yes SCX6 does have it.
And actually I did see that before when the Axial SCX6 first was released. . But forgot about that. I have Not seen much chatter in regards since then . That Sensored Spektrum ESC is an outliar for sure.;)

so did the update fix the problem? turns out i'm an idiot and also experienced the delay on my 12s kraton. I never noticed it before because I never jam throttle from a deadstop and my air control has been fine but I actually tried to jam it from a dead stop and saw what everyone has been saying for a while now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back