New HOBBYWING 12s!!! max 5 g2 and motors?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys
Hi guys, i found that max5 G2 has a punch delay, idk why, I'm on 12s 56113 hobbywing motor, and it does not wanna run at start up even I set punch to 9

Guys
Hi guys, i found that max5 G2 has a punch delay, idk why, I'm on 12s 56113 hobbywing motor, and it does not wanna run at start up even I set punch to 9
have you changed any other settings? also what lipo are you using and what is your lvc set to? I have had similar problems before.

have you changed any other settings? also what lipo are you using and what is your lvc set to? I have had similar problems before.
Thanks for replying, I'm using gensacearespammers 6s 6800mah 120c and lvc 3-medium, how do you manage to solve it ?

other settings i changed: motor rotation to CW, BEC to 8.4v, Initial throttle force to 8%,

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, I'm using gensacearespammers 6s 6800mah 120c and lvc 3-medium, how do you manage to solve it ?

other settings i changed: motor rotation to CW, BEC to 8.4v, Initial throttle force to 8%,
i suggest you put the initial throttle force back to stock which is 1% I think?. That is definitely part of the problem. Whenever I changed that setting bad things happened. Put that back to stock and try lowering your punch back down to 5 or 6 and trying again. If that works you can try increasing the punch again if you feel you need to. :cool: (y)

The Max6 and Max5 have always been able to handle 12S, you just needed to know how to hack them.

If you have one, all you need is a cap pack that will handle 12S (50V) and a voltmeter. Connect everything and power on the ESC. The ESC won't fully start because too much voltage. Disconnect the positive lead and wait for the cap pack voltage to go back down to 33V and then reconnect the positive lead. Boom. ESC will now run on 12S.

Learned this from Jason Flores/Flopack.

Yes, it's the short duration. Things do get warm, even with 8AWG and QS8 connectors but if your soldering is good, they should hold for the duration of a speed pass. In one of Raz's videos, he links to a gentleman who did some stress tests with Perfect Pass QS8s (I only specify PP connectors because those are the ones he tested and there are some questions regarding the uniformity of performance regarding QS8 connectors). The connections held 600A for 20 seconds, 1000A for 10 seconds both without failure or desoldering of the connection. He went so far as to test them at 1400A until failure and even under such extreme load it still held for 6-8 seconds IIRC.

Edit: Took me a minute to find it, but here's the video testing the PP QS8-V2 connectors.
Can always go 6 Guage and QS10…. Lol, but i know I know the ESCs are hardwired with 8… like let’s go already, as if we can’t just find a 12 - 16S ESC with 6 gauge leads!! There are eno big vehicles out there now that can handle all that sexy power!

Hence why it's always said Castle for speed runs and HW for bashers
I don't understand why people say that. I have 1 xlx2 and 3 mmx8s all in bashers. And I send my stuff off a 4' freshpark ramp. I average 120' jump and have not had a single problem with any of them

I don't understand why people say that. I have 1 xlx2 and 3 mmx8s all in bashers. And I send my stuff off a 4' freshpark ramp. I average 120' jump and have not had a single problem with any of them
I prefer castle and think the MMX8S is amazing. The xlx2 on the other hand? One fire and two just died on me for no damn reason. I also had a Max 4 blow up but yea. I will say I've never had an xlx2 problem in an on road rig! it's been an 8s basher every time.

Castle is a bit on the delicate side, whereas HW is the Timex of ESCs. Seriously, I even had a fire from a lipo that melted away all wires on Max6 that were replaced and the combo did 129mph almost a year after.
I'm not knocking Castle here, I have both MambaX and XLX2. And honestly, I appreciate the simplicity of HobbyWing's setups. I feel like I need a degree to properly program the Castle's.
Take for example, my recent efforts to interpret NotoriousJ's datalog:
Screenshot_20230813_125412_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_125354_Facebook.jpg
You need and want technical precision for racing or speedruns, not to beat the volts out of it jumping 20' up with epic Olympic event worthy nosedives.

I prefer castle and think the MMX8S is amazing.
Best all-around ESC out there IMO. I run it in (35 pound) 1/5 basher, 1/7 basher, 1/7 road car, 1/8 bashers. Tough as hell.

I haven’t had as good of luck with other Castle ESCs though. Good durability, but not as good as HW.

Best all-around ESC out there IMO. I run it in (35 pound) 1/5 basher, 1/7 basher, 1/7 road car, 1/8 bashers. Tough as hell.

I haven’t had as good of luck with other Castle ESCs though. Good durability, but not as good as HW.
Do you run it with an extra cap pack?

Using a Max6 in a 4s Limitless. Built as a street basher Felony with grippy tires. Keeps cutting due to heat after a few minutes. Not sure what ESC to replace it with.

Do you run it with an extra cap pack?

Using a Max6 in a 4s Limitless. Built as a street basher Felony with grippy tires. Keeps cutting due to heat after a few minutes. Not sure what ESC to replace it with.
No, I don’t run a cap pack with any of my MMX8S ESCs. And I have a lot of them.

However, I would add a cap pack if I was going to use it for speed running. It doesn’t control ripple voltage as well as an XLX2.

You’re asking for trouble with a 4S 1/7 street basher. The lower voltage will drive current (and therefore heat) higher. A Max5 or an MMX8S with a 4028 fan might be okay, but I’d probably go XLX2.

It's a Felony built on a Limitless V2. So I'm limited with smaller pinions, 26T is limit, perhaps a 25T would fit. Spur is already bigger than stock. Tires are Louise Tarmac - pretty grippy - drives Amps up. Going on 6s not really possible without really driving heat and amps up. Right now I'm giving it all, full speed burts, spinning, drifting, lots of full throttle - typical parking lot bashing. Was wondering if the Max5 V1 would be a safer option but then I think of Moirae mentioning it's only 40 AMPs more and he's right about that. Max5 G2 - 12s ESC seems like a bit of overkill.

Felony-4s-47s-26p-103.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Felony built on a Limitless V2. So I'm limited with smaller pinions, 26T is limit, perhaps a 25T would fit. Spur is already bigger than stock. Tires are Louise Tarmac - pretty grippy - drives Amps up. Going on 6s not really possible without really driving heat and amps up. Right now I'm giving it all, full speed burts, spinning, drifting, lots of full throttle - typical parking lot bashing. Was wondering if the Max5 V1 would be a safer option but then I think of Moirae mentioning it's only 40 AMPs more and he's right about that. Max5 G2 - 12s ESC seems like a bit of overkill.

View attachment 317171
Are you running a Hobbywing 4985?

I put in 6s for your build and it's only 81 mph. Every single one of my parking lot bashers is geared for that. I could see the max 6 not liking that very much though haha. I think A max 5 would be be good here and xlx2 even better. If it was me I'd get an xlx2 and some server fans on a tiny 3s or 4s lipo for the motor and rip that thang

For comparison, one of my felonies is geared 24/46 with a 1720kv TP 5660. 2 fans hooked up to 3s lipo = weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I put in 6s for your build and it's only 81 mph. Every single one of my parking lot bashers is geared for that. I could see the max 6 not liking that very much though haha. I think A max 5 would be be good here and xlx2 even better. If it was me I'd get an xlx2 and some server fans on a tiny 3s or 4s lipo for the motor and rip that thang

For comparison, one of my felonies is geared 24/46 with a 1720kv TP 5660. 2 fans hooked up to 3s lipo = weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We generally don't have huge parking lots over here like in the USA. I get a bit jealous when I see some of those. So it's bashing in tighter parkinglots with lots of braking and accelerating. That just generates heat like crazy. And for some stupid reason parking lots here often have lots of curbs inbetween. A bit frustrating at times. In industrial areas where there is realy cool space on logistics companies properties etc. or so it's all with fences and gates. And if it's a bit bigger you are competing with motorcycle schools who also want the open areas. Guess that's just a city thing. Rural areas are better concerning that. Was scouting again today for some better spot and speed running stretch outside the city in industrial area.

Anyway - helpful insights. Thanks! MAX5 or XLX2 .... will see.

We generally don't have huge parking lots over here like in the USA. I get a bit jealous when I see some of those. So it's bashing in tighter parkinglots with lots of braking and accelerating. That just generates heat like crazy. And for some stupid reason parking lots here often have lots of curbs inbetween. A bit frustrating at times. In industrial areas where there is realy cool space on logistics companies properties etc. or so it's all with fences and gates. And if it's a bit bigger you are competing with motorcycle schools who also want the open areas. Guess that's just a city thing. Rural areas are better concerning that. Was scouting again today for some better spot and speed running stretch outside the city in industrial area.

Anyway - helpful insights. Thanks! MAX5 or XLX2 .... will see.
Thats rough bro! if thats the case you can totally save money and just get a max 5 or mmx8s. I'd still consider some server fans though! I think the max 5 definitely runs cooler than the mmx8s so it might be the better option in your use case. G2 even better!

Edit: I just realized the max 5 g2 says 6-12s and not 4s :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back