New HOBBYWING 12s!!! max 5 g2 and motors?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
I think you answered your own question… 250 amps…
Xlx2 can pull more than that. 😂

But a rumor that there will be a new castle next year?
yea but 600 amps doesn't mean anything to a basher, especially when officially castle will tell you even 300 amps is overdoing it with an xlx2 lol. I would gladly take an xlx2 that capped out at 400 amps if it wouldn't catch on fire for no damn reason. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love running TP motors in everything and sometimes I don't think the typical hobbywing esc can keep up even in a basher. Having something in the middle between the 2 that gives a bit more umph than a max 5 but more durable than an xlx2 would be amazing to me.

And are you saying amps > volts? I was wondering if 12s would have the motor run cooler than 8s geared for the same speed.

yea but 600 amps doesn't mean anything to a basher, especially when officially castle will tell you even 300 amps is overdoing it with an xlx2 lol. I would gladly take an xlx2 that capped out at 400 amps if it wouldn't catch on fire for no damn reason. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love running TP motors in everything and sometimes I don't think the typical hobbywing esc can keep up even in a basher. Having something in the middle between the 2 that gives a bit more umph than a max 5 but more durable than an xlx2 would be amazing to me.

And are you saying amps > volts? I was wondering if 12s would have the motor run cooler than 8s geared for the same speed.
What's that saying, over volt under gear 🤔

Only issue is all the extra weight of 12s, that's 2x 6s packs 🤪 that's nearly 2kg's of batteries..!!!
Fine if it's in a 1/5 car/truck/buggy other than that it just seems pointless...😎

Hobbywing shoving us sensorless systems down our throats

What about Castle? Or Tekin? Or Maclan? They only offer sensored escs. I have never seen anyone complain about that.

What about Castle? Or Tekin? Or Maclan? They only offer sensored escs. I have never seen anyone complain about that.
Seriously, it seems like a plus in my book? especially when the new esc doesn't really cost anymore than the old one.

It cost more money. I personally do not care about sensored systems. Hobbywing now went complete U turn and now only want to offer sensored setup and motors. Sensored motors are more fragile and have ussualy shorter rotors. The 4076 motors they offering have a little shorter than a traditional 4074 rotor.
Seriously, it seems like a plus in my book? especially when the new esc doesn't really cost anymore than the old one.
More fragile. Sensors are known to fail. They biffed up the plug but when the sensors inside the motor breaks motor is rendered useless

It cost more money. I personally do not care about sensored systems. Hobbywing now went complete U turn and now only want to offer sensored setup and motors. Sensored motors are more fragile and have ussualy shorter rotors. The 4076 motors they offering have a little shorter than a traditional 4074 rotor.

More fragile. Sensors are known to fail. They biffed up the plug but when the sensors inside the motor breaks motor is rendered useless
You know that you can buy motors that aren't sensored and still run them right?

Not in the minority. TP seems capable of withstanding more abuse than almost every other motor on the market. Better components help. Honestly, I only ever owned one other motor I felt held up just as good in regards to heat and durability and that's my HW 4985 1650kv.

Not sure everyone appreciates how many amps 250 is or even 400. That's a crazy amount of power and no way our "toys" can handle anything close to that.

200 amps already requires double aught cable

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
Yeah but the point is the XLX2 has been outputting 300 or more for awhile now. So the 250 new HW hardly makes it a Castle killer. But I DO agree that 250 amps in a basher is just insanely awesome.

Yeah but the point is the XLX2 has been outputting 300 or more for awhile now. So the 250 new HW hardly makes it a Castle killer. But I DO agree that 250 amps in a basher is just insanely awesome.
It just doesn't make much sense is all. Like there's no wires inside a castle ESC that can handle 200 amps. And then my hobby shop has trouble getting me 8 gauge wire never mind 10.

So if you run 200 amps to your 8 gauge wire let's say wouldn't that overheat your ESC all by itself?

We need to start getting some double aught wire in these riggs or the voltage will need to increase (to lower amps)

It's no wonder these rigs can only run for a couple of seconds

It just doesn't make much sense is all. Like there's no wires inside a castle ESC that can handle 200 amps. And then my hobby shop has trouble getting me 8 gauge wire never mind 10.

So if you run 200 amps to your 8 gauge wire let's say wouldn't that overheat your ESC all by itself?

We need to start getting some double aught wire in these riggs or the voltage will need to increase (to lower amps)

It's no wonder these rigs can only run for a couple of seconds
You're thinking of it wrong. The wires don't handle those loads continuously. I see the same in household electrical wires. They can take a bunch of quick spikes but not a continuous spike. It's the time it takes to melt the wires and then cause shorts that arcs that lead to fires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back