Limitless Mmx8s or motor getting to hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester194

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
I have a question, I take my v1 limitless out and within a out 7 minutes the esc shuts throttle off due to temp.. gearing is 39 spool and 29 pinion is it normal to get hot that fast, I do brake alot

Heat is increased pretty quickly when you brake… even though it’s not exactly like a brake and a caliper, think what happens when you’re either riding on the brakes or say making a emergency braking at 120mph Rotors glow hot…. But that seems awful high gearing for a mmx8s

Heat is increased pretty quickly when you brake… even though it’s not exactly like a brake and a caliper, think what happens when you’re either riding on the brakes or say making a emergency braking at 120mph Rotors glow hot…. But that seems awful high gearing for a mmx8s
So what your saying is I need a xlx2 , I've been looking for a reason to buy one lol...

I mean Xlx2 solves a few issues. But it’s not the cure all fix all… you will have to change your braking habits as well.
I need a bigger road to use it in lol
I grew up using nitro cars and it was all throttle or brakes it's a bad habit I know

I grew up using nitro cars and it was all throttle or brakes it's a bad habit I know
I'm thinking of just selling the mmx8s combo I just bought and getting the xlx2 combo instead

I'm thinking of just selling the mmx8s combo I just bought and getting the xlx2 combo instead

Last edited:

I’ve had my fair share of nitros, but it’s a easy habit to break. At first when I got back into the hobby I was bad at it too. When speed runs. I tend to never use the brakes. I’ll let up about 3/4 to 1/4 depending on how fast i think I’m going. Unless I have to abandon the run… then I’ll do it

Having recently bought an XLX2, I'm already second guessing that choice. If I did my homework a little better rather than jump on a deal my lhs offered, I may have gotten the MMX8S or Max5. Unless you don't mind roasting marshmallows over your rig, motor choices seem very limited. As recently explained to me, this esc doesn't get along with 6 pole motors, so kv needs to stay under 1440 and crappy batteries would be an added layer of protection.

Having recently bought an XLX2, I'm already second guessing that choice. If I did my homework a little better rather than jump on a deal my lhs offered, I may have gotten the MMX8S or Max5. Unless you don't mind roasting marshmallows over your rig, motor choices seem very limited. As recently explained to me, this esc doesn't get along with 6 pole motors, so kv needs to stay under 1440 and crappy batteries would be an added layer of protection.
Xlx2 fires are a thing of the past…… it happened the first few batches 🙄 I’m just going to leave it at that…

Dibs on the mmx8s when you sell😉😄

If I get the xlx2 combo , what motor do you recommend with it. I'll be putting in my v2
That's a pretty broad question. Bashing or speed running? I put the 1721 2400kv in my 2nd speed runner, but sadly all I've done so far w/ it is drive it up & down my street a couple times to make sure it works.

That's a pretty broad question. Bashing or speed running? I put the 1721 2400kv in my 2nd speed runner, but sadly all I've done so far w/ it is drive it up & down my street a couple times to make sure it works.
Speed run... I bash with v1
Speed run... I bash with v1
The 2 I've found on Amazon is xlx2 with 2028 1100kv and 2028 800 kv

Not at all, just not sure what other companies make decent products
Check out TP power motors. They have A LOT of motor options- different can sizes, kv values, pole counts etc. It can be a little overwhelming because of all the different motors that they offer, but do some searching on here & you can find a lot of good info/experience from more knowledgeable folks than me. BTW, I run a tp 4060cm 2610kv in my stretched typhon speed runner- due to chassis space limitations- & it absolutely screams/howls!!

Check out TP power motors. They have A LOT of motor options- different can sizes, kv values, pole counts etc. It can be a little overwhelming because of all the different motors that they offer, but do some searching on here & you can find a lot of good info/experience from more knowledgeable folks than me. BTW, I run a tp 4060cm 2610kv in my stretched typhon speed runner- due to chassis space limitations- & it absolutely screams/howls!!
Ok cool..

I have a question, I take my v1 limitless out and within a out 7 minutes the esc shuts throttle off due to temp.. gearing is 39 spool and 29 pinion is it normal to get hot that fast, I do brake alot

You cannot run over and over with gearing for speeds over 70mph without cool downs.
Even the XLX2 will get hot in those scenarios.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back