Kraton How to stop dust getting inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having 3 of them in the past, I was all in originally.. Based on my experience alone is Purely subjective. Many others don't run them for the reasons I stated. But yeah covers are still a thing and serve some well enough. I pick and choose my RC battles. Running a cover is not one of them any longer.
I gear my stuff at the upper end, so heat control, and all out performance is my priority. Not how dirty the chassis gets. I could justify a DMC for a Closed wheeled bodied SCT or dessert truck, which is more like a vacuum for dirt. Which became my first attempt , with my TA SCT.
And I simply don't run in Cut Grass 99% of the time, if I can avoid that. Some can't, so I get it.
Place some finer metal mesh screen over your fans and clean them off every so often during running. Shake out the chassis of any rocks and pebbles. What I do.
I guarrantee that you will not be using your cover after some good experience with it. What happens with many who try them out. Like me.
I could be wrong....:giggle:
Covers are not any new concept and Many were running Ladies nylon stockings stretched over the chassis for years. Once commercially available , Covers became an RC option. DMC was the first, and hard to get in the States. A UK based comany. DMC as a brand has poor customer service FWIW. Never repsonded to numerous Emails with basic questions I had , before and even after purchasing them. The Velcro Tape they included was all dried out and sucked. had to buy all new Velcro. No biggy... Not that it is any great rocket science in regards to operate. They never answered even one of my emails. And they are overpriced in retropspect. Now there are other RC brands that offer them. Not just DMC.
I hated to Un zip and Rezipper my Covers when changing out lipos. A tight PIA. My DMC covers had a zipper. My main complaint. It got hotter. And I still had to shake out all the crap that collects on top of the Cover regardless. The pros didn't outweight the cons.

Like I said 50% mesh air flow is already a 50% loss with air circulation. Splitting hairs over "More than 50%" is a moot point, and really means nothing. And what's the use of leaving it unzippered anyway. Makes no sense. Them admitting things WILL run hotter.(n) DMC has changed their wording in years past, BTW. Just remove it altogether if heat becomes an issue.
Their nylons are quite flammable as well. Happened without warning for me. Thought it was a Lipo fire in that split moment. It wasn't. The 6s mains Lipo normally sparking when connecting caused it to burn instantly. And I intentionally simulated a second flash fire on my other Cover to confirm combustibility, since I would not be using them any more. And DMC never answered my final email in regards to this. Asking them about their materials used.
That aside, DMC is a zero as an RC brand, IMHO. More of a blatant money grab Brand if you ask me.
DMC got me for $100.+ with 3 of them, in various sizes. So I think I am entitled to have my say here about them.
Just my thoughts..:cool:

Last edited:
I think the best way of tucking this fallacy into bed once and for all is to ask the following questions:

How much air are my fans drawing on to blow through the heat sinks?

Is my shroud preventing the volume of air the fans are capable of moving?

Whereas it only takes 1 chipping, stone, gravel, twig or matted grass to prevent the fan from drawing ANY air, depriving the ESC/Motor of the air required to stay within the operating limits.

Now these shrouds are made from the same mesh as Outerwears, air filter covers, crankcase covers etc for full size stuff.

"Will adding a Pre-filter reduce my airflow or horsepower? - 11/03/2004
Adding an Outerwears Pre-Filter will not have any significant reduction in airflow (independent lab test results available upon request). Most Performance air filters allow more air in than the engine can actually handle."

Given that induction systems draw far more air than our fans can, it's reasonable to conclude that as Outerwears don't negatively affect air intakes, the same mesh used on Dusty Motors shrouds should have even less detrimental effect on our cooling requirements - provided fans are being properly utilised.

Conclusions:
  • you need operational fans
  • you need to use gearing appropriate for your motors KV rating / wind
  • your dusty motors shroud must also be cleaned
  • making up your own informed mind to determine what is required is better than following fads

Last edited:
I always had to wash the covers frequently.... using dish soap and water. Let air dry. You have to absolutely clean them. Been there. The Muck that collects doesn't release simply blowing them out, after these become well used over time. Trust me I ran them religously for more than a year. All 3 of them.
I did give them the old college try.:giggle:
I realized in the winter they were more realistic. With colder ambients. My Temp gun never lied.
I ran them in the mud, water and snow. It all collects and packs down the cover well onto the whole chassis, fans and all.(n)
Which I don't do anymore, for other reasons. Keep my stuff dry now. My electrics thanked me.;)
Not saying these covers can't work for some of us.
The way I bash, just not practical.

Last edited:
@ SrC - I'm pretty certain that nothing was said here that indicated you weren't entitled to comment? Or that it was an RC Battle?

I thought it was a discussion, on a forum. Albeit if you re-read your original post it contained no answers to the OP, only assertion.

I've been using my shroud since May 2022, so if there was any negatives to using it, I'd have established the fact by now.

If it ever impedes what I want to do, I'll see just how well it burns! 🤣👍
I always had to wash the covers frequently.... using dish soap and water. Let air dry. You have to absolutely clean them. Been there. The Muck that collects doesn't release simply blowing them out, after these become well used over time. Trust me I ran them religously for more than a year. All 3 of them.
I did give them the old college try.:giggle:
I realized in the winter they were more realistic. With colder ambients. My Temp gun never lied.
I ran them in the mud, water and snow. It all collects and packs down the cover well onto the whole chassis, fand and all.
Which I don't do anymore, for other reasons. Keep my stuff dry now. My electrics thanked me.;)
Not saying they can't work for some of us.
In Blighty, we have to endure 'liquid sunshine' all the time.

If I avoided wet use entirely, they'd never be used. 🤣🤣

I use a temp gun too. Very handy - Nitro background - nuff said. Peace.

Nitro background likewise. I was using a Temp Gun with my Nitros when temp guns were well over $100.00 + dollars. O.S. Race engines.
Like I stated above, we all do it differently.
Others read here as well.
So I give my experience and others can make their own decision. A decision based on both our opinions.
The right way is one that works for YOU.

I finally digress.:giggle:
I Can be a PIA. :giggle:
No disrespect to the OP at all. None.
I saw misinformation unfolding thats all.
An AF search would garner better info in regards.

Last edited:
@ SrC - I'm pretty certain that nothing was said here that indicated you weren't entitled to comment? Or that it was an RC Battle?

I thought it was a discussion, on a forum. Albeit if you re-read your original post it contained no answers to the OP, only assertion.

I've been using my shroud since May 2022, so if there was any negatives to using it, I'd have established the fact by now.

If it ever impedes what I want to do, I'll see just how well it burns! 🤣👍

In Blighty, we have to endure 'liquid sunshine' all the time.

If I avoided wet use entirely, they'd never be used. 🤣🤣

I use a temp gun too. Very handy - Nitro background - nuff said. Peace.
Lots of great advice provided and justified. Thank you for your sharing your knowledge and experience.

Nitro background likewise. I was using a Temp Gun with my Nitros when temp guns were well over $100.00 + dollars. O.S. Race engines.
Like I stated above, we all do it differently.
Others read here as well.
So I give my experience and others can make their own decision. A decision based on both our opinions.
The right way is one that works for YOU.

I finally digress.:giggle:
Just one off topic post, if I may...
1000013075.png

Well I suppose back when I started in Nitro, it was a PB Nova with a Webra .20 engine. 'Spit test' was used to guage if the engine was too hot or too cold. 🤣

Now I use an O'Neil temp gun.
Lots of great advice provided and justified. Thank you for your sharing your knowledge and experience.
Cheers! 🤩 It's good to talk about our rigs, what works well - and what works not so well.

It's an amazing pastime. And these modern rigs are awesome. 😎💪

Last edited:
leaft blower is unable to get rid of dust which is accumulated from silicon spray easily as i need to brush it thoroughly

but with ptfe lube its definitely as you say. blowing it off with leaf blower will get rid of most of it
Yeah obviously if theres oil and grease it wont do anything

Just one off topic post, if I may...
View attachment 333489
Well I suppose back when I started in Nitro, it was a PB Nova with a Webra .20 engine. 'Spit test' was used to guage if the engine was too hot or too cold. 🤣

Now I use an O'Neil temp gun.

Cheers! 🤩 It's good to talk about our rigs, what works well - and what works not so well.

It's an amazing pastime. And these modern rigs are awesome. 😎💪
Tuning a surface nitro engine is somewhat different I imagine than Air RC engines. All I know is that tuning my O.S. engines needed to be around 200F-212F to run great. That meant having the correct Glow plug heat range for given ambient temps. The Spit Test was thing years ago. I remember those days. I recently retired a rather old temp gun. So I am down to my small RS one.

I was considering this, or something similar. Less$$.
I would use it for my scale 1:1 cars as well.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKMICRO-Resolution-Thermal-Measurement-4-1022°F/dp/B09FT8HJKF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=flir+temp+gun&qid=1700797816&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

silicone will form a thicker, wetter layer that may collect dust and dirt. PTFE will have a thinner, yet harder layer that will not attract dust or absorb grime.

This is why I get GT85 - it's excellent for cleaning, displacing water and making plastics look nice.

View attachment 331887
Available for Canada 🇨🇦?

Tuning a surface nitro engine is somewhat different I imagine than Air RC engines. All I know is that tuning my O.S. engines needed to be around 200F-212F to run great. That meant having the correct Glow plug heat range for given ambient temps. The Spit Test was thing years ago. I remember those days. I recently retired a rather old temp gun. So I am down to my small RS one.

I was considering this, or something similar. Less$$.
I would use it for my scale 1:1 cars as well.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKMICRO-Resolution-Thermal-Measurement-4-1022°F/dp/B09FT8HJKF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=flir+temp+gun&qid=1700797816&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Aero engines are next to a giant fan for air cooling, which helps!

Tuning principles are the same, but running in and operational aspects are different for sure

PXL_20231124_155231882~2.jpg

New tyres being small diameter worked out with less rollout, even going up to 16t on the pinion. So speed-wise, I was back exactly where I started last week. 57 mph. 🙄

Motor temps stayed barely luke warm 93°F (34°C) with the shroud on, but being under-geared like this it was hardly a test.

New 18t and 19t Tekno pinions on the way. Sliding mount requires fettling for 19t. Watch this space....70mph, 0-60 mph in 3.3seconds and temps below 200°F?

It depends how bad stuff gets at the time and how long between runs really. To keep stuff tip top, it should really be after every run - especially if it's wet.

My rigs look like new, but they're antique. 😅

View attachment 331843
They work better, look nicer and are easier to maintain if kept as clean as possible.

Yes, I regularly get them filthy, but keeping them mint is as much a part of the hobby as blasting them around.

View attachment 331847
Regardless of all of the above - I'm not sure my wife would 'let' me bring them into the home - unless they are clean. 🤣
They are very nice. I like to give mine a serious deep cleaning from time to time. Any time I do any kind of maintenance or work that requires the bulkhead to come off the chassis, it’s time to get out the ol solvent+olive oil mixture and brush it down, grease it up. I can’t bring them inside caked with mud either haha. but realistically I would still say that keeping them blown out every 2-3 runs -depending on where you’ve been running- is fine. If I’ve been running primarily on asphalt I don’t see any need to do anything other than a quick blow out with a compressor. It gets dusty every time, and immediately. I won’t leave it caked with mud or anything like that. I’m gonna have to try the silicon spray method others have mentioned.

Out of my friends, I’m the one that’s over the top fanatic about keeping my trucks clean. I guess everything is relative haha

They are very nice. I like to give mine a serious deep cleaning from time to time. Any time I do any kind of maintenance or work that requires the bulkhead to come off the chassis, it’s time to get out the ol solvent+olive oil mixture and brush it down, grease it up. I can’t bring them inside caked with mud either haha. but realistically I would still say that keeping them blown out every 2-3 runs -depending on where you’ve been running- is fine. If I’ve been running primarily on asphalt I don’t see any need to do anything other than a quick blow out with a compressor. It gets dusty every time, and immediately. I won’t leave it caked with mud or anything like that. I’m gonna have to try the silicon spray method others have mentioned.

Out of my friends, I’m the one that’s over the top fanatic about keeping my trucks clean. I guess everything is relative haha
Cheers buddy.

Yeah, it's all about keeping on top of things and making stuff last. I guess we all have different degrees of OCD. 😝

The main reason I keep mine so clean is because my wife threatens to put them on a bonfire fairly regularly. 🤣

Use the PTFE spray - it's much more effective than silicone. 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back