What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Read somewhere the average appliance last 7 years today. Pathetic.

I knew the term 'Planned Obsolescence' but I didn't know this:

"The concept gained significant attention in the 1920s and 1930s, with products like light bulbs and nylon stockings being early examples. The term was popularized by economist Bernard London and later by Vance Packard in his 1960 book "The Waste Makers."

Thanks ChatGPT! 👍

Giving my John Deere front drive walk behind mower some love today. Front wheel hub stripped out. Traced problem to failed bearing on axle which lets drive gear pinion change positions as it meshes with wheel hub. I cannot get the outer part of the bearing out of the casing to save my soul. It's in the freezer overnight....lol.

IMG_20240626_201727625_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240626_201625813_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Damn 20yr old front load Samsung dryer stopped heating today. Had to replace the heating element. Hell, 20yrs before it failed 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:

View attachment 375958View attachment 375959

Out with the old
View attachment 375960
I replaced the element in mine about 2 months ago, Lasted almost 10 years. TBF there a 9 people this dryer supports, so it likely has 20 years worth of cycles on it! The element I bought has already went bad, sooo I have to replace it again. I went cheap last time, I might just go factory parts this time even though it's MUCH more expensive. Will be ordering this weekend. Did you go cheapy?

I did go cheap. I saw that the OEM price was $130-$200, so I did the cheaper $30 part. I saw those reviews, so they are for the FYI.

At least on my unit, the parts are not very hard to remove to get to the bottom. If it goes I will follow your steps next time.

Giving my John Deere front drive walk behind mower some love today. Front wheel hub stripped out. Traced problem to failed bearing on axle which lets drive gear pinion change positions as it meshes with wheel hub. I cannot get the outer part of the bearing out of the casing to save my soul. It's in the freezer overnight....lol.

View attachment 375970

View attachment 375971
There is a product called Kroil that’s better than anything out there. I was turned on to it by a guy who worked at a nuke plant near me. He said before they discovered it they would have to torch cut many of the giant valves that had frozen up during overhauls. Since they started using the stuff, he said the incidents of cutting the valves off decreased dramatically because the Kroil would free them up.
Good luck, man. That kind of thing is frustrating.

@Johnny b It ain’t cheap, but it works like gangbusters. I was always a PB Blaster man before I found Kroil and it puts it to shame. I save mine for extreme situations because it’s so expensive, but I try to always have a can on hand.
https://www.amazon.com/Penetrating-...l&qid=1719584655&sprefix=kroil,aps,106&sr=8-3

There is a product called Kroil that’s better than anything out there. I was turned on to it by a guy who worked at a nuke plant near me. He said before they discovered it they would have to torch cut many of the giant valves that had frozen up during overhauls. Since they started using the stuff, he said the incidents of cutting the vlaces off decreased dramatically because the Kroil would free them up.
Good luck, man. That kind of thing is frustrating.
Thanks Dan, problem solved yesterday. I found the perfect size socket and pounded it in there with my favorite tool ( hammer ) I then was able to pound it out with an extension from the back and it finally popped out. Now I cannot remove it from my 17mm socket but oh well. :LOL:

IMG_20240628_102700227.jpg

Thanks Dan, problem solved yesterday. I found the perfect size socket and pounded it in there with my favorite tool ( hammer ) I then was able to pound it out with an extension from the back and it finally popped out. Now I cannot remove it from my 17mm socket but oh well. :LOL:

View attachment 376215
That 17mm won’t be pulling off any Arrma wheel nuts now! 😂

View attachment 376215
Cut it off with a dremel! Save the socket!

Giving my John Deere front drive walk behind mower some love today. Front wheel hub stripped out. Traced problem to failed bearing on axle which lets drive gear pinion change positions as it meshes with wheel hub.

I cannot get the outer part of the bearing out of the casing to save my soul. It's in the freezer overnight....lol.

View attachment 375970

View attachment 375971

mortal kombat pointing GIF

View attachment 376215

Just get a Larger socket to slide over that 17mm and bang that bearing off!

Last edited:

View attachment 376215
Maybe you could use a size extra small puller to get that off? Heat it up first.

Back