What C rate are people charging at these days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t want to throw a flat pack on a board with a full one. I’ve done it a few times I don’t recommend it. It’s just a learning process. You will want a battery balance lead checker. Check them before you put them on the board set a timer for 10 or so minutes then pull them off individually and see how close the cells got to one another in that time. (Remember your only looking at cell 1 compared to cell 1 of each pack cell 2 to cell 2 and so on…. This will not balance cells within a pack. The board just connects all the cell 1s, cell 2s, and so on.) For me if the cells are within .05 of one another I’ll start the store/charge process. It’s the same if your discharging with your charger for the packs you didn’t use. (But depending on your setup this will be a slow storage/discharge this way. That’s y I use a dedicated discharger.
Thank you. It's hard to find good advice on the forums regarding this. I'm going to have to find some parallel boards with xt90 connectors and just go for it.

Been out of the hobby for a few years but now my interest is piqued again. Just built a Limitless and running on 6S and looking for a Kraton now. I used to charge my short course trucks at 2-3c but it seems like most people are charging at 1-1.5c?

I'm using a Revolectrix PowerLab 6 with a 1200W power supply and a parallel board. What's the general consensus now when using cheaper batteries like CHNL, Zee, or Turnigy's?

I have the same setup. I charge at 3c. Have for years. I charge 2 6s 5000 packs in about 20 minutes.

Personally, I charge everything at 1C because I know it's a good balance between speed while being gentle enough on the cells but that's not to say you can't or shouldn't charge them at higher rates. Even lower cost lipos such as the CNHL G+ line are advertised with a max charge rate of 5C. What it boils down to is, in how big of a rush are you to get out there? A 1C charge rate is sufficient to charge any of my batteries from storage to full in about 20 minutes (which is plenty fast enough for my liking), including a set of G-Ace 15000mAh bricks. I've never sat there thinking, "Hurry up!!" and I just use the time to work through a checklist of things I like to go over every time before I take my car out. It is worth noting, however, that the higher the rate you charge your lipos at, the less mAh you'll be able to pump into them and it will shorten the overall lifespan of the battery. By how much? Difficult to say, I've never seen any quantitative analysis of cell degradation in relation to charging rate. To my knowledge, typical lipos will degrade to 80% of their initial power/performance within 300-500 charging cycles (I believe these figures are based on a 1C charge rate but I'm not 100% on that so take it with a pinch of salt).

Best practice would be to monitor and keep a journal of the internal resistance (IR) of the cells in your packs as these will be a decent indicator of cell degradation over time. There are some things to look out for when measuring IR, particularly that the conditions and variables specific to IR measurements are kept as homogenous as humanly possible so that the readings you get are meaningful as simple things as a few degrees temperature difference can skew values by a few mΩ. But as long as you keep the conditions under which you take measurements as close to identical as you can, you'll have data that you can track to keep a closer eye on battery condition.

To your second question, CNHL makes great batteries at a reasonable price. Unless you're trying to squeeze every last bit out of a high performance setup for speed running or drag racing, the extra money you're paying for premium lipos such as SMC or Onyx is a waste of money imho but I've seen speed runners get excellent results with CNHL G+ lipos that rival batteries at twice the cost. Unless, of course, you have money to burn and just want to have the best because they exist, I'm the last person who'd try to talk you out of it.

My take. As always, YMMV :)
In my opinion depends how on fast I want to hit the track..I really don't stress about how long my batteries will last in the long run.when I notice they don't last as long as they should I just buy new ones..cost of batteries don't bother me since I allways find them cheap enough.i only use 3s batteries at 5200 mah so they are not expensive..I have some that are 4 years old still get 25 minutes at least on them of run time..I think people over think ..or I suppose it's the mind set of the cost.. listen it's a expensive hobby so if your going to worry about battery cost well then maybe it's time to find a solar powered RC car lol..just saying..stop worrying about cost..just bash and have fun ..I charge mine at 4.5 amps and no problem s yet.and when and if I do get problems well then I'll buy more..no big deal ..most important thing is not to over charge over 4.2 on each cell or keep your lipos under 3.0 .charge them in lipo bags and make sure you use the balance board..that's it..worry about other things...I only do speed runs and if I should worry about anything it should be tire cost since I burn through sets like crazy..doing 145 -160mph tires don't last long for me .. but who cares ..it's the nature of the hobby..have fun .

I've always just charged at 1c. After a 3c charge rate diminishing returns kicks in and you are only cutting off a couple of minutes from your charge time.

What charger are you using if you don’t mind me asking. I charge a 6s 5000mah battery from storage to fully charged and it takes me roughly 80min at 2c.
From storage to fully charged never takes me more than 45 minutes at 1c. Something isn't right there.

FWIW, I don't use balance boards, I just use balance lead extensions and cut the circled plastic lip off so I can plug in any size lipo from 2-6S. I don't plan on getting any 8S packs anytime soon, so this is more than I need for the time being. I could just plug them directly into the side of the charger but I find this a bit cumbersome as the balance leads on the batteries are typically pretty short and this affords me a bit of slack to work with.
View attachment 234467
I've never needed to cut that on my 6s balance extention leads the plastic is malleable enough that the balance lead plugs right in.

20220813_095803.jpg

Been out of the hobby for a few years but now my interest is piqued again. Just built a Limitless and running on 6S and looking for a Kraton now. I used to charge my short course trucks at 2-3c but it seems like most people are charging at 1-1.5c?

I'm using a Revolectrix PowerLab 6 with a 1200W power supply and a parallel board. What's the general consensus now when using cheaper batteries like CHNL, Zee, or Turnigy's?
1C rate. Best for Lipo longevity. And Lipo Safety. Some lipos are labled with max C rates over 1C. I disregard. Always 1C for me.
Most any decent charger should always supply a 1C rate at a minimum. Depending on the Lipos you are using.

Last edited:
In my opinion depends how on fast I want to hit the track..I really don't stress about how long my batteries will last in the long run.when I notice they don't last as long as they should I just buy new ones..cost of batteries don't bother me since I allways find them cheap enough.i only use 3s batteries at 5200 mah so they are not expensive..I have some that are 4 years old still get 25 minutes at least on them of run time..I think people over think ..or I suppose it's the mind set of the cost.. listen it's a expensive hobby so if your going to worry about battery cost well then maybe it's time to find a solar powered RC car lol..just saying..stop worrying about cost..just bash and have fun ..I charge mine at 4.5 amps and no problem s yet.and when and if I do get problems well then I'll buy more..no big deal ..most important thing is not to over charge over 4.2 on each cell or keep your lipos under 3.0 .charge them in lipo bags and make sure you use the balance board..that's it..worry about other things...I only do speed runs and if I should worry about anything it should be tire cost since I burn through sets like crazy..doing 145 -160mph tires don't last long for me .. but who cares ..it's the nature of the hobby..have fun .
Ok, so you don't even charge at a 1C rate which will increase the longevity of your batteries as I outlined in my post. I'm happy that money is not an issue for you but I'll worry about the costs that I think are relevant as they affect my wallet...and a solar powered RC car? Not really an option for a night speed runner. Cute idea though. I'm on a somewhat limited budget and batteries (the ones I want anyways) aren't cheap and I can't just replace them at a whim. Could I use cheaper batteries? Sure. I have and sometimes do. Do they offer the same performance? No.
1C rate. Best for Lipo longevity. And Lipo Safety. Some lipos are labled with max C rates over 1C. I disregard. Always 1C for me.
Most any decent charger should always supply a 1C rate at a minimum. Depending on the Lipos you are using.
Same. Your charger will need some balls however to charge these at 1C ;)
1660409144159.png

I thought this was a pretty novel use of this monstrosity...oh, and I love the fact that it has 666Wh :LOL:

I only own 4 batteries ATM, all Spectrum 3S. I use a S150 single charger, and put on 1amp and let it do what it needs, when beeps, and done, pull, and replace till all full. I'd like a $179 charger to do 2 at a time, but honestly I only get to go out 1x a week if that, so I'm fine I guess for now.

I only own 4 batteries ATM, all Spectrum 3S. I use a S150 single charger, and put on 1amp and let it do what it needs, when beeps, and done, pull, and replace till all full. I'd like a $179 charger to do 2 at a time, but honestly I only get to go out 1x a week if that, so I'm fine I guess for now.
1 amp or 1 c?
1 amp seems like it would take forever for multiple batteries.

I’m gonna stick with 2c as it seems to be the best compromise between convenience and battery health. I prefer to be watching the charger when charging batteries so time is a factor for me…

Well I put in my mah of the battery and then let it charge by the charger. I don't put in C rating anywhere.

Last edited:
Well I put in my mah of the battery and then let it charge by the charge. I don't put in C rating anywhere.
Well, you are in a round about way. If you put in say 6600mAh, then 6.6A is a 1C charge rate. I'd assume the charger knows this.

Well, you are in a round about way. If you put in say 6600mAh, then 6.6A is a 1C charge rate. I'd assume the charger knows this.
true if I charge it it does shows that. But I have a charger which only gos to 6.8 or 7 and then I don't know what I should do with batteries which have 7.800 or 8500mah. Bought another one just to be save that I don't do anything wrong :D

1 Amp??? :giggle: That's like 1/5th C Rate......for a 5k mah lipo.
How long does it take to charge those 3s lipos?
5 hours?
A 5000 mah lipo should charge within an Hour if set to 5.0 amps. ( at 1C rate)
Hopefully the charger can supply a 5.0 amps, a 1C rate, if powerful enough.

Last edited:
1 amp or 1 c?
1 amp seems like it would take forever for multiple batteries.

I’m gonna stick with 2c as it seems to be the best compromise between convenience and battery health. I prefer to be watching the charger when charging batteries so time is a factor for me…
2C charge rates for me as well. I've been doing this (2C charge rates) for the past seven years, and the compromise is great. I started with LiPo batteries back in 2010 and did the whole 1C thing for about five years. Keeping a fleet of RCs running, when friends and family come over to play all day, required many chargers (four ports total). I still had to wait for packs to finish up charging to keep the fun going. Bumping up the amperage to do 2C charge rates made life so much easier. Normally, it takes, from storage voltage to fully balanced charge, 20 ~30 minutes to get things done.
IMG_20220811_175121743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220802_175558346_HDR.jpg

In the Spring, and Fall I come home from work and like to get a run, or two in at the track before the sun goes down. I can't wait an hour. 2C charge rates have become my norm, and lets me have some RC enjoyment before things get too dark.

I don't think I stress my packs. Heck, I still use 2 of the 4 LiPo packs I purchased back in 2010.

Side note: I honestly think a higher balancing current plays a big roll in getting cells ready for play quicker. When looking/shopping for a charger... check that spec out, and compare with other chargers.
1660614514671.png

don't know why but in the last few month I had several packages blow up, not explode just get much larger.

don't know why but in the last few month I had several packages blow up, not explode just get much larger.
Are they all about the same age? It could be they are just at the end of their lives. Did you change your power plant in any of your cars? Could be working them too hard. Maybe your charger is pooping out? Maybe LVC is not working correctly in one of your cars? Are you leaving your batteries at a “good” storage voltage when not actively using them? Could be lots of things.

2C charge rates for me as well. I've been doing this (2C charge rates) for the past seven years, and the compromise is great. I started with LiPo batteries back in 2010 and did the whole 1C thing for about five years. Keeping a fleet of RCs running, when friends and family come over to play all day, required many chargers (four ports total). I still had to wait for packs to finish up charging to keep the fun going. Bumping up the amperage to do 2C charge rates made life so much easier. Normally, it takes, from storage voltage to fully balanced charge, 20 ~30 minutes to get things done.
View attachment 236487
View attachment 236491
In the Spring, and Fall I come home from work and like to get a run, or two in at the track before the sun goes down. I can't wait an hour. 2C charge rates have become my norm, and lets me have some RC enjoyment before things get too dark.

I don't think I stress my packs. Heck, I still use 2 of the 4 LiPo packs I purchased back in 2010.

Side note: I honestly think a higher balancing current plays a big roll in getting cells ready for play quicker. When looking/shopping for a charger... check that spec out, and compare with other chargers.
View attachment 236504
I think many overlook the Balance Current when choosing a charger.
The specs above, 1,600 mah Max Balance rate is actually very good as chargers go. (1.6 amps)
It is the end of the charge cycle (Final Balancing that takes very Long)
Some chargers are well below 1.0 Balance amp current. Not good. (n)

Despite the Charger's Charge Rate being acceptable, a charger needs higher Balance current or it will just take way to long to balance.
I like your 2 chargers there. I have 2 of the same HobbyMates. Running off of PSU's. (24v/400watts)

One of my HM's did finally crap out this weekend. Both channels are dead. But Used the crap out of it. My oldest one. I don't like the Scroll wheel! It skips and jumps around when selecting in the menu, with extended use. So I ordered the new ISDT K2 Air. (ac/dc 2 channel) It arrived yesterday and it was DOA. :cry:(from AMZ) Shipping Box was damaged and no padding or Bubble wrap was used.
But the specs are spot on for me. It has No Scroll wheel. Uses buttons to navigate.(y)

I returned it and ordered another K2 Air . Giving that one another try.:unsure:
I like Smart Screen chargers. 2 line display chargers are kind of obsolete these days IMHO.:cool:
Any charger worth its grain of salt will always Balance at the end of a standard charge cycle. Older Chargers never did by default.

Last edited:
1C charge rate is sufficient to charge any of my batteries from storage to full in about 20 minutes (which is plenty fast enough for my liking),
Would you be kind enough to name your charger, I am looking for a recommendation to charge two 11000 mah batteries in a "reasonable " time frame.

1hr is acceptable to me , unfortunately my charger maxes out at 5 Amps per channel.

SKY RC D100 V2.

Thanks for any and all recomendations.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back