What C rate are people charging at these days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great replies. So a couple things. As previously noted, 1c charge rate roughly equates to 1 hour charge time from a depleted battery (10-15%) to fully charged (not counting balancing). Therefore, if you are charging at "2c" and it's taking longer than 1 hour you really aren't charging at 2c. So charge rates will depend on cell size, total capacity and the charger. My understanding is it's (cell) x (4.2v) x (capacity)= Watt/c. For example, to charge a 6s 10 amp battery at 1 c would be 6 x 4.2 x 10= 252W.

There were a few assumption made regarding charging. First, I normally store at 50% capacity which may be wrong since everyone here appears to be storing at 70%. Second is sometimes I "field charge". I have some old lipos that I used to have in a multi rotor that I'll charge up and use as a DC source hooked up to portable ISDT charger to charge while I'm driving. These lipos are being charged from a nearly depleted state and 1c v 2c would actually make a pretty significant difference.

Sounds things have changed back to 1c so I'll have to rethink my charging habits.

1C has always been the “best” baseline for charging any lipo. That said think of it like filling a glass of water in the sink. If you turn the water on slow and fill it over 60sec. And as soon as it gets to the top shut it off as a posed to turning it on full blast and shutting it off as soon as some water flows over the top then shut it off, it will be less than topped off. 1C is the best of both worlds. So the occasional 5c charge if your in a hurry (if the battery can handle it) is totally fine. And if you have the time charging at 1/2c is better still. 1C is just the safest and best baseline for most all lipos.

There are a couple of big things to consider when looking at your charging time and what C or amps you're actually charging at:

-You should be able to tell right away what amperage your charger is charging at. If you put in 2c for the battery (let's say that's 10a for example), you would be able to know in about a minute or two if your charger is at 10a, most chargers have amp readouts.
-usually the longest part of charging isn't cramming in Mah at high amps, but balancing the cells at the end and the slow declining charge that your charger does when batteries approach their end voltage (storage or full charge). This means you'll probably get 90% fully charged (from storage) in about 15 minutes. 95% will probably be around 20 to 25 minutes. 99% usually 30 to 35.
-how fast your charger can fully charge is dependent on 1) how easy your batteries are to balance, 2) how good of a balance algorithm your charger has, and 3) the specs for balancing on your charger.
-its more likely that your getting lots of Mah in the battery faster, and then it takes a long time to finally get up to fully charged on that last little bit.

I would take log next time you're charging to see how long it take your charger to get to around 90% and 95% etc. That would be most revealing about whether you can charge at 2c or not. It may also be that your charger is fine and the packs you have are just a pain to balance. I have two SMC packs that are that way. Take twice as long as the rest of my packs.

I charge all this from storage to full in 48ish mins at 1C. The rate at which the charger can balance is also key, but it’s something else you will pay for money wise. Also having old damaged cells that aren’t balanced easily will greatly retard the overall time of balance charging. View attachment 234478
I like the setup. I read the iChargers are nice as well. What balance boards are you using?

I charge all this from storage to full in 48ish mins at 1C. The rate at which the charger can balance is also key, but it’s something else you will pay for money wise. Also having old damaged cells that aren’t balanced easily will greatly retard the overall time of balance charging. View attachment 234478
What is that power supply?

I like the setup. I read the iChargers are nice as well. What balance boards are you using?
I use all Progressive RC stuff. Great company and they have been around forever.
What is that power supply?
That is an old progressive RC 600watt power supply it was about 14years old it died a few weeks ago. This is my setup now.
C07D4AEE-DEC6-4851-ACCA-6FE5BFE813A8.jpeg

And this is my discharge setup.
D8DE0470-9A1E-4A8C-9F71-B47C8097A9F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies. So a couple things. As previously noted, 1c charge rate roughly equates to 1 hour charge time from a depleted battery (10-15%) to fully charged (not counting balancing). Therefore, if you are charging at "2c" and it's taking longer than 1 hour you really aren't charging at 2c. So charge rates will depend on cell size, total capacity and the charger. My understanding is it's (cell) x (4.2v) x (capacity)= Watt/c. For example, to charge a 6s 10 amp battery at 1 c would be 6 x 4.2 x 10= 252W.

There were a few assumption made regarding charging. First, I normally store at 50% capacity which may be wrong since everyone here appears to be storing at 70%. Second is sometimes I "field charge". I have some old lipos that I used to have in a multi rotor that I'll charge up and use as a DC source hooked up to portable ISDT charger to charge while I'm driving. These lipos are being charged from a nearly depleted state and 1c v 2c would actually make a pretty significant difference.

Sounds things have changed back to 1c so I'll have to rethink my charging habits.
A decent 24V DC power supply and a Hota d6+ is what I'd recommend since it's what I have. THIS is the PSU I use and it works great. The ISDT chargers are also great.

A decent 24V DC power supply and a Hota d6+ is what I'd recommend since it's what I have. THIS is the PSU I use and it works great. The ISDT chargers are also great.
Been looking at that Hota d6+ just hard to find in stock at the moment. Even on banggood looks like it's back ordered. On the SMC site they say the latest batch of them don't have the phone app support due to chip shortage. So many variables.

Been looking at that Hota d6+ just hard to find in stock at the moment. Even on banggood looks like it's back ordered. On the SMC site they say the latest batch of them don't have the phone app support due to chip shortage. So many variables.
I don't have the app. It's not needed. I've also heard the app kinda sucks.

I need to try parallel charging. Never had the guts...so I just use my ichargers x6/x8 connected to one psu and charge at 1C. I break out some of my older chargers if I'm in a hurry.

I need to try parallel charging. Never had the guts...so I just use my ichargers x6/x8 connected to one psu and charge at 1C. I break out some of my older chargers if I'm in a hurry.
Yup get a parallel board, plug similar mah but EXACT same number of cells on the board and let them set there for 15-20 mins so all the cells sink up. Paying close attention to protect the banana plugs coming off the board from touching anything… I usually leave them plugged into the charger unless I have a set sinking up waiting to get in the charger. Then once they have set for a while and your sure all the cells are equal across all the different batteries. (It’s best to start this with all equally stored batteries from the same charger till you get used to it.). You will add all mah together and use that number as your 1C charge rate. It’s no big deal, I was doing it way before there was these nice boards it works well and is totally safe. I never bag or bat safe my batteries cuz I like to keep an eye and finger on them the whole time they are charging. I always stay close. Enjoy your new found freedom from spending all day charging batteries.

I got some research to do on battery charging. Balance boards, PSU etc. more stuff to learn 🤓
Check out the hota d6 plus. It's a great charger and I can charge 2x 6s 6000 mah from storage in about 35m. I bought 2 of them for those times I need 4 or more batteries charged asap 🤣

Check out the hota d6 plus. It's a great charger and I can charge 2x 6s 6000 mah from storage in about 35m. I bought 2 of them for those times I need 4 or more batteries charged asap 🤣
That’s the one I want to purchase but don’t see any in stock at the moment. Do you use a PS with it as well?

Yup get a parallel board, plug similar mah but EXACT same number of cells on the board and let them set there for 15-20 mins so all the cells sink up. Paying close attention to protect the banana plugs coming off the board from touching anything… I usually leave them plugged into the charger unless I have a set sinking up waiting to get in the charger. Then once they have set for a while and your sure all the cells are equal across all the different batteries. (It’s best to start this with all equally stored batteries from the same charger till you get used to it.). You will add all mah together and use that number as your 1C charge rate. It’s no big deal, I was doing it way before there was these nice boards it works well and is totally safe. I never bag or bat safe my batteries cuz I like to keep an eye and finger on them the whole time they are charging. I always stay close. Enjoy your new found freedom from spending all day charging batteries.
I know the flying community parallel charges like it's nothing.

I guess I'll experiment as most of my packs are from storage charge to 4.2v when charging.

What happens after bashing sessions and each battery is different? Is 15 to 20 minutes enough time to ensure voltage is fine? Or is it better to storage charge independently?

I charge all my batteries below 1C. I tend to follow the Traxxas EZ charger has a max of 4A. So a 5000mah battery at a 1C = 5A charge would be set at 4A on my Spektrum S2100 charger. All my basher batteries charge at 4A takes a little over 30min not long, I'm in no rush nice slow smooth charge.

That’s the one I want to purchase but don’t see any in stock at the moment. Do you use a PS with it as well?
I use ac only. It had the highest ac wattage I could find for a reasonable price which is why I bought it. External power supplies confused me 😂

I know the flying community parallel charges like it's nothing.

I guess I'll experiment as most of my packs are from storage charge to 4.2v when charging.

What happens after bashing sessions and each battery is different? Is 15 to 20 minutes enough time to ensure voltage is fine? Or is it better to storage charge independently?
You don’t want to throw a flat pack on a board with a full one. I’ve done it a few times I don’t recommend it. It’s just a learning process. You will want a battery balance lead checker. Check them before you put them on the board set a timer for 10 or so minutes then pull them off individually and see how close the cells got to one another in that time. (Remember your only looking at cell 1 compared to cell 1 of each pack cell 2 to cell 2 and so on…. This will not balance cells within a pack. The board just connects all the cell 1s, cell 2s, and so on.) For me if the cells are within .05 of one another I’ll start the store/charge process. It’s the same if your discharging with your charger for the packs you didn’t use. (But depending on your setup this will be a slow storage/discharge this way. That’s y I use a dedicated discharger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back