Tesla Cybertruck // Everything we want to know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alternative viewpoints..

I agree with some of his assessments about the Cybertruck and Elon

However, E.Musk IS trying to bring about improvements and Big changes in the automotive industry.
Yes, it took him a few years to get this truck out to the public ,but compared that to ALL the other established Auto makers with their immense resources haven't really made much of a dent in bringing us anything (much) better... in the past 30-50 years.

Also, keep in mind this is only version 1.0
Give the chap some time and let's see what versions 2 ,3 ,or 4 will be like in 5 years...

He's Not standing still with his production capabilities.

Just look at his major advancements with his SpaceX Rockets ,for christ sakes..
Beat out Every other rocket company in the World including major government institutions.
From a guy who had NO previous knowledge or experience in that industry.

Everyone being close minded about the design.. pickup trucks have looked almost exactly the same for 70 years. Musk is an eccentric billionaire who sends cars to space and does other strange thing - did you all expect another full size electric F150? I’m really curious what you could have possibly expected here.

It’s different sure, it’s not my favorite but I see the appeal - it doesn’t look like anything else out there.

It would ...if they ship the current "regular" trucks to the Moon or Mars.

I'd pefer they concentrate their efforts on those of us stuck on earth. 🤣 Don't forsee a big market on Mars for any kind of truck anytime soon.

Last edited:
Everyone being close minded about the design.. pickup trucks have looked almost exactly the same for 70 years. Musk is an eccentric billionaire who sends cars to space and does other strange thing - did you all expect another full size electric F150? I’m really curious what you could have possibly expected here.

It’s different sure, it’s not my favorite but I see the appeal - it doesn’t look like anything else out there.
No but for me it's completely orthogonal. Most beings on this earth expect incremental innovation not a WTF is that?

Personally the looks are cosmetic. It's a bit way to ugly and imposing for me. When you see one in person it looks overwhelming, perhaps excessively large. The HFS and exoskeleton is very cool.

But there are two things that bug the crap out of me with any new car.

The first is there is no real button or knob on the thing. Touch screens and touch buttons are not accurate and require 100% of your attention to use. A friend recently bought a Model 3 and said it well as "The car demands your attention". Which is code for it's not easy to drive. When I'm driving I look at the road and should not be looking at for a "button" on a screen buried under 3-layers of menus.

The second thing is EVERYTHING is controlled by software. Which means that a child 1/2 way around the world can push an update to your vehicle and you have no choice. Although the update is not the problem, it's the fact that they can change behaviors. So you get in your car in the morning and want to turn on the defroster, but it' doesn't work like it used and you need sit in the cold and figure out how your new and improved A/C works while you're late for work.

This is not to mention the EULA that you have to accept so the company can have access to your cameras and all your data 24/7, including while it's inside your garage.

I'm just saying.

No but for me it's completely orthogonal. Most beings on this earth expect incremental innovation not a WTF is that?

Personally the looks are cosmetic. It's a bit way to ugly and imposing for me. When you see one in person it looks overwhelming, perhaps excessively large. The HFS and exoskeleton is very cool.

The first is there is no real button or knob on the thing. Touch screens and touch buttons are not accurate and require 100% of your attention to use. A friend recently bought a Model 3 and said it well as "The car demands your attention". Which is code for it's not easy to drive. When I'm driving I look at the road and should not be looking at for a "button" on a screen buried under 3-layers of menus.

The second thing is EVERYTHING is controlled by software. Which means that a child 1/2 way around the world can push an update to your vehicle and you have no choice. Although the update is not the problem, it's the fact that they can change behaviors. So you get in your car in the morning and want to turn on the defroster, but it' doesn't work like it used and you need sit in the cold and figure out how your new and improved A/C works while you're late for work.

This is not to mention the EULA that you have to accept so the company can have access to your cameras and all your data 24/7, including while it's inside your garage.

I'm just saying.
All fair points, the design's personal preference of course. But my point is, this isn't Ford, it's Tesla - they're going to do something completely different, it's sort of what defines them. It is absolutely a love or hate aesthetic, that's for sure.

It's a little Mad-Maxy to me personally, but the utility of a pickup is excellent and having a huge truck _and_ front trunk space is an added bonus. Plus the lack of paint and that steel exoskeleton are nice features. It's not covered in plastic like everything else these days trying to get better mileage by shedding weight.

Appearances are purely subjective..
Just like when the Hummer H2 & H3 came out for public consumption..
Some folks Love the sh!t out of them based on looks alone.

I strongly agree with this.

It is Absurd to NOT have any physical buttons and knobs..
IF anything as a Backup to if your Touchscreen gets Cracked or LCD panel gets dead pixels or leaks, or even Unresponsive due to grease or oils accidentally smeared onto the screen surface.

Not only that but WHO on Earth can remember ALL the placements of the virtual buttons, menus and tabs there are nested in the Massive screen!?

Most folks can't even remember or find where their contacts, alarms or downloaded files are stored on their Little smartphones...

This is a major problem waiting to happen.
Especially when a major foreign actor/country ever decides to alter our vehicles functions.

And, take control of its utility... ie: use the FSD feature in Multiple vehicles to use as battering rams or mobile IEDs against us -person or our infrastructures.
If done in a Cybertruck, it will be Very hard to stop because of the bullet resistant shell and its speed.

I'm just saying.

No kidding!

When these vehicles are basically a WiFi Hotspot and Security camera system on wheels that can track and follow you around , wherever you go.

That's a bit too much when you Can't completely shut it off manually AND you've already signed your rights away when you agreed to their EULA.

Last edited:
How do those touchscreens work at -10f? How about with gloves on? Greasy or muddy fingers? My dislike for the modern technology is applicable to all modern autos, not just Tesla. I will stick with the most basic auto's I can for the rest of my days.
My wife's ford has one. Sometimes you are tapping the screen over and over trying to get it to respond.
I am sure the Tesla one is higher quality...

The touch interface is annoying for many things.
The temp control for the rear seats tapping the screen over and over to move the temp sucks.

I usually reach to the back and turn the rotary dial because its so much easier/faster.

My wife's ford has one. Sometimes you are tapping the screen over and over trying to get it to respond.
I am sure the Tesla one is higher quality...

The touch interface is annoying for many things.
The temp control for the rear seats tapping the screen over and over to move the temp sucks.

I usually reach to the back and turn the rotary dial because its so much easier/faster.
I can believe the Tesla hardware is of higher quality than Ford or GM..more years in business usually equates to more greed/overhead,LOL. I think the cyber truck has some visual appeal just by being such a departure from what we expect of a truck visually. As was the Delorean, Hummer, Jeep Gladiator and such. Unfortunately it also doesn't take long to look "dated" IMO.

I mean, it already looks like it came out of the 1980s :LOL: And the 80s never stopped being cool!
Like an 80's Corvette or IROC Z!! 🤢😜 We all have our opinions, I admit, if I saw a cyber truck out in the wild I'd be trying to get a closer look. At the same time, for whatever reason, I've never looked twice at any of their sedans..never even looked through the windows of one parked.🤷‍♂️ Maybe I subconsciously am afraid "I'm " being watched if I do?😜🤣🤣

I can believe the Tesla hardware is of higher quality than Ford or GM..more years in business usually equates to more greed/overhead,LOL. I think the cyber truck has some visual appeal just by being such a departure from what we expect of a truck visually. As was the Delorean, Hummer, Jeep Gladiator and such. Unfortunately it also doesn't take long to look "dated" IMO.
Not exactly. I'm not picking on any specific company here, but it applies to any "new" player to what ever market you are looking at. Cars, computers, TVs, phones, etc..

They use the same hardware as everyone else in the world. However, it comes down to testing and quality. The established manufactures have known tests that exploit and look for design flaws. The new car companies (not specifically Tesla) have to start from scratch. So your basically driving a prototype car until it's 5 or 6 model year.

Now I'm picking on Tesla. If you check the forums for Tesla you will see the problems they have. We have a friend with a Model 3 and the rear door didn't open. Like duh Batman. As another Tesla owner said, they replaced just about every part on the car but they were super nice about it. What you hear from Tesla owners is they are great car because they have bought into the Telsa Cult.

All fair points, the design's personal preference of course. But my point is, this isn't Ford, it's Tesla - they're going to do something completely different, it's sort of what defines them. It is absolutely a love or hate aesthetic, that's for sure.

It's a little Mad-Maxy to me personally, but the utility of a pickup is excellent and having a huge truck _and_ front trunk space is an added bonus. Plus the lack of paint and that steel exoskeleton are nice features. It's not covered in plastic like everything else these days trying to get better mileage by shedding weight.

Agreed. The tech problems are not Tesla specific.

Go see one in person, it's looks totally post-apolitical and a giant boxy beast for sure. I like frunks in general, it's secure storage. But the frunk isn't that big. In one of the videos they show it maxed out with two carry on bags.

I call bull sh!t on the bullet proof nonsense!
No one uses a "Tommy Gun" and a 9mm is one step up from a 22.
Take a look at the push back when they use the guns. There is very little. Tells me the bullets are not very powerful.
Obviously there is no protection in the glass area where your head is at.
NONSENSE! Don't buy into this crap.

Take a look at the push back when they use the guns. There is very little. Tells me the bullets are not very powerful.
I hope Kentucky ballistics can get ahold of one. Did you see that new punt gun he has?

115 Grain 9mm has a higher muzzle velocity than a 45 and can have more penetration than a 45 ACP. I've done the testing with phone books and HDPE. However, 9mm has lower muzzle energy which is confusing. The higher velocity and smaller diameter (less area) allow for more penetration.

To your point though it looks like they did use hollow points which fragment much more than ball (cheap) ammo. Fragmentation is good to impart energy, ball ammo is good for penetration.

The lethality of a round depends on a lot of factors including mass, velocity and fragmentation. In any case I don't want to get shot by any of them.

Never thought you'd see a thread with both ball and penetration used in the same post.

Back