Kraton Leopard or Hobby Star brushless motors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are running the stock Arrma ESC it cannot detect 5s batteries. It is detecting your fully charged 5s battery at 21 volts (4.2 volts per cell) as a 6s battery at 21 volts (3.5 volts per cell) and is hitting the low voltage cutoff. You need to switch the ESC to NIMH mode and run an external voltage alarm.
That's interesting. I have been using it on 5S with the stock motor and new ESC for a couple weeks now with no issues.

That being said, I'll give the 6S a wing tonight and see what's up. Thanks!

Are you saying you are running a 2s and 3 s at the same time? If yes, That's a big no no. Always run two of the same exact batteries with same discharge rate. Like 2-2s or 2-3s or one 3,4 or 6s.

Are you saying you are running a 2s and 3 s at the same time? If yes, That's a big no no. Always run two of the same exact batteries with same discharge rate. Like 2-2s or 2-3s or one 3,4 or 6s.
Yes, I was running 2 and 3 at the same time. I wasn't aware that you couldn't run that way. I'll get that remedied tonight. Thanks.

I have heard that you can run one 2s and one 3s in series to create a 5s pack but you need to make sure that the packs are the exact same brand, capacity, discharge rate and everything. I have never done it and just go 4s or 6s myself. I'm just saying what I have read and it makes perfect sense.

I have heard that you can run one 2s and one 3s in series to create a 5s pack but you need to make sure that the packs are the exact same brand, capacity, discharge rate and everything. I have never done it and just go 4s or 6s myself. I'm just saying what I have read and it makes perfect sense.
These batteries are all the same brand, capacity and I think they're the same discharge but the labels have peeled off and I can't remember.

Running a 2s and 3s in series is just fine. The only downside is that the stock ESC's lipo cutoff isn't programmed for 5s. The very simply workaround is to run the esc in NiMH mode and have 2 voltage alarms. Or, you can put a castle esc that recognizes 5s.

Try an 18t, 12 is way too small for that motor. I'm running a 18 in my leopard for bashing and running 160 degrees after hard running on 6s.
How much of a performance difference would you say there is between the stock BLX 2200kv motor and your Leopard 1730 on 6s? Im considering getting the Leopard 4092 just not sure if the difference would be noticible enough to go out and buy a new motor

How much of a performance difference would you say there is between the stock BLX 2200kv motor and your Leopard 1730 on 6s? Im considering getting the Leopard 4092 just not sure if the difference would be noticible enough to go out and buy a new motor
If you gear it right, it could be the same or even better than stock. Plus then you have to think of how much cooler these motors are going to run compared to stock. Plus a longer can is gonna be a little more torque-y at the expense of top end speed (which can be fixed w/ gearing).

Major difference. Tons of torque ,can run larger pinion, faster and runs much cooler. I'll be putting long can motors in all my trucks.

View attachment 10598 Finally got it swapped in. Started with the 12T pinion to be safe. Tons of torque.

Am having an issue though. I only get about 30 seconds of full voltage before it goes into LVC (or feels like it). I've got my other set of batteries charging and will give it a try again tomorrow.

Also, check your gear mesh.
If that pinion is too tight against the spur, the extra load will send the ESC into LVC/shutdown pretty quick.

Also, check your gear mesh.
If that pinion is too tight against the spur, the extra load will send the ESC into LVC/shutdown pretty quick.
Mesh was spot on. We've come to the conclusion that it was because I was running a 2S & 3S combo. Apparently the ESC doesn't like that while in Lipo mode.

Gotcha.
I never tried 5s, just 4s and 6s...usually 6s!

Gotcha.
I never tried 5s, just 4s and 6s...usually 6s!
I only went to 5S because I put the Outcast battery tray in and I can't fit my two 3S packs and still use the hold down doohickey. Guess I'll just tape them together and pop that holder out. Was storming here last night so I didn't get a chance to try it out.

For me, 5S is all about that balance between too conservative and constantly pushing the edge. It's that happy medium that gives you a great boost over the very conservative 4s and the "hold on because something is probably going to break" 6s

For me, 5S is all about that balance between too conservative and constantly pushing the edge. It's that happy medium that gives you a great boost over the very conservative 4s and the "hold on because something is probably going to break" 6s
That's kinda how I feel. I need to get a couple alarms and reset the ESC to NiMh.

Or just say screw it and grab a Mamba Monster ESC that can recognize 5s. No more voltage alarms flying off that way

Or just say screw it and grab a Mamba Monster ESC that can recognize 5s. No more voltage alarms flying off that way
Maybe. I've dumped enough money into it lately, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Major difference. Tons of torque ,can run larger pinion, faster and runs much cooler. I'll be putting long can motors in all my trucks.
Whats the largest pinion you can run on your 4092 on 6s without worrying about heat issues?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back