Kraton Leopard or Hobby Star brushless motors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.White

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Have been eyeballing a Leopard 4092 in either 1480 or 1730, but RCJuice just got in Hobby Star 4092 in 1480 or 1730. On paper the HS 1730 is rated for higher voltage (26V compared to 20V on the Leo). Been following vanning various posts about Leo motors and am impressed. The HS are 20-30 bucks cheaper but I'm willing to spend the extra coin if it can be shown it's worth it.

I don't do much as far as speed runs and mostly run around the yard, so I want something that won't overheat.

What say ya'll?

Probably no difference between both 4092 cans that any normal driver can tell. I have the Leopard 4092 in my Kraton and it's fantastic but I wouldn't hesitate to use the new Hobbystar one either. Totally your preference.

I run the Leopard 4092 1730 and love it. Never over heats and tons of power. But I wouldn't hesitate to try a HS to save a buck. These long can motors typically run much cooler on a 1/8 truck because they really don't have to work very hard. If you get the HS, Keep us posted on how it performs.

Probably almost identical. I would save a few bucks where you can. I have been eyeing the HS motors also.

I actually have a Hobbystar motor in another car (non arrma) and it's fantastic. Even better, the main person at RCJUICE (Hobbystar main distribution) is active on a couple of RC forums and extremely quick to respond to any questions

I have both a Leo 4092 and 4082 and they are great motors.
But I would defiantly give the new Hobbystar ones a try. A lot of bang for the buck right there.

I pretty much run exclusively on 5 or 6s, but my main reasoning behind the 1480 was to help keep temps down when I'm running in grass. Plus, the 1480 version of the Leopard is rated for higher amps and volts than the 1730.

I think I am going to go with the Hobby Star since the specs are very similar and a bit cheaper.

Not sure why it keeps moving this to my previous post:
Just pulled the trigger on the Hobby Star 4092 1730KV. We'll see how she runs when she gets here. Also picked up a pretty trick looking heatsink/fan combo that should keep it nice and chilly.

Last edited:
I did the colossus 1450kv and was disappointed in top end and went back to the Blx200. I'd give the 1730 a try. I've got a 1450 l will sell you. Ha
This was in my Nero btw.

Also, not a speed runner much either....Just back yard mostly.

Holy crap are they fast. I ordered Friday night around midnight and I have it in my hands right now. From Cali to Northern IL in 2.5 days for free.

This motor is a tank compared to the stocker. Didn't realize I needed different plug ends though, so now I've gotta get those gathered up.

Yes, RC Juice is no joke...I've placed multiple orders and they arrive in no time to PA. :happy:
As for the connectors, I had to do the same with my big Leopard motor. Did the motor come with new connectors for the ESC?

Yes, RC Juice is no joke...I've placed multiple orders and they arrive in no time to PA. :happy:
As for the connectors, I had to do the same with my big Leopard motor. Did the motor come with new connectors for the ESC?
Nope, just the male 6.5mm connector. Hopefully my LHS has them, don't feel like having to place another order and wait lol

IMG_5027.JPG
Finally got it swapped in. Started with the 12T pinion to be safe. Tons of torque.

Am having an issue though. I only get about 30 seconds of full voltage before it goes into LVC (or feels like it). I've got my other set of batteries charging and will give it a try again tomorrow.

Try an 18t, 12 is way too small for that motor. I'm running a 18 in my leopard for bashing and running 160 degrees after hard running on 6s.

Try an 18t, 12 is way too small for that motor. I'm running a 18 in my leopard for bashing and running 160 degrees after hard running on 6s.
I'll get there. This was just a "make sure everything works and doesn't catch on fire" shakedown.

Still perplexed by the power cutting out. I put my batteries on the charger thinking they must be drained and I never charged them back up. Checked the charger before bed and they indicated full charge in less than a few minutes. Is there something I'm overlooking?

I know many people using the Hobby Star motors in 1/5 scales and love them. Also....after running the Arrma Hard Rock for a while, I'm very impressed with how cool that truck runs with the stock combo. The ESC and motor must be a good combo.

If you run the Leopard 1480KV, you should run 6S.

Make sure the solder joints are perfection when you put together your system.

How is the part situation with Arrma now ?

I've only been running 2S/3S (5S total) because my 2x3S batteries won't fit in the Outcast tray. I'll have to take out the adjustable part of the box and try 6S tonight.

LHS has some ARRMA parts, but I'm not sure how extensive it is. Tower still has quite a few marked as due in later. I've been lucky, haven't broken anything that would put the truck out of commission. I don't really have a place to catch big air, so that's probably why it has survived. :eek:

I've only been running 2S/3S (5S total) because my 2x3S batteries won't fit in the Outcast tray. I'll have to take out the adjustable part of the box and try 6S tonight.

LHS has some ARRMA parts, but I'm not sure how extensive it is. Tower still has quite a few marked as due in later. I've been lucky, haven't broken anything that would put the truck out of commission. I don't really have a place to catch big air, so that's probably why it has survived. :eek:
If you are running the stock Arrma ESC it cannot detect 5s batteries. It is detecting your fully charged 5s battery at 21 volts (4.2 volts per cell) as a 6s battery at 21 volts (3.5 volts per cell) and is hitting the low voltage cutoff. You need to switch the ESC to NIMH mode and run an external voltage alarm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back