Fully built car - what breaks most often? (Talion EXB)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's probably why it keeps breaking lol.
Why couldn't they just do a adjustable link for the upper like they did in the back.
I believe it's nature of the pillow ball and the adjustable caster.

All the C Hub cars have the link like the rear
Then think about that extra 2 pounds that putting force on every hit the car take.

As for me I also run it mostly on a track and I never bent a hinge pin (stock ones).
I removed most of the EXB stuff, it's heavy. all but the chassis, bumper and the steering components.
The old motor mount is much lighter, the old arms are stiffer and lighter, removed all braces as chassis flex is good for handling...

View attachment 204849
Hey @Yonic you could probably save a lot of weight with my custom m2c/EXB bumper

Screenshot_20220308-153001.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-153231.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-153305.jpg

It about as big as the Tekno bumper!

About 6 grams versus 50grams for the EXB bumper

Last edited:
I never broke an hinge pin ever. Bent a few thats about it on my 6s. What breaks the most is ur number 1 in ur case. The outdrives needs upgradibg at least for the center and rear diffs also changibg the pins of the driveshafts to tool steel pins would be a +.

The wing mount is another common breakage if u run stock. Try boiling the arms before their first use. I had never one snap on me even after crashibg knuckle first on a tree.

I recently did a maintenance check on my kraton exb. 2 arms out of 4 had a micro crack starting to form Near the hinge pin hole. Remplaced them that was a full summer of sends and crashes to do that. I run nothing really fancy. My major upgrades are a rear alluminum gearbox, an m2c hackerman plate a 3D printed wing mount and front bumper spring.

Going overkill on upgrades i believe is what makes the trucks break more. Weight is everything the heavier the truck less durable it becomes.
This is it today with no battery, body or wheels.

9lbs 6oz

A little on the chubby side

View attachment 204844
My notorious. Same upgrades as my kraton exb minus chassis and shock towers. It survived winter bashing and one wheel landings 3.6kg. 6.61lbs

20220308_190637.jpg

😂 My talion 11lbs without a battery but that is with a tp 4070. It was probably even higher with the src road crushers but I had just swaped to method Rc sct tires.
Twice as heavy😳

Last edited:
I'm reaching the point that it costs about a dollar a gram to shave off anymore weight lol

I I'm pretty sure I can get into the 6lbs range, but that's a bit excessive

I think maybe a 6lbs 13oz is possible, no wheels,body, battery

I'm at 10.58 with tires and body and still think it's to much. I want under 10. I have more stuff I want to do but like 21STalion said it's the cost for what weight savings you get.

20220304_213921_HDR.jpg

For everything I'm still looking at for my Talion I would be around $500. Not even sure of total weight savings lol.

Yea my weight was with body and tires no battery. I'm sure it's even heavier with backflip lp's The methodRC tires are a lot smaller. Even smaller diameter than stock tires by like 10mm.

So thanks guys, especially @Yonic for the tips

GREAT tip with the v3 carbon shock tower +1 +1 +1
Xtreme Racing 5mm Carbon Fiber Arrma Talion V3 Rear Shock Tower

Since I had all the parts here, and that part likely fixing my RPM Arm problem allowing me to use them, so that $35usd part saved me 3 ounces off my build! And finally I get to use the rpm arms.

I didn't go nuts but I ordered the plastic braces, ti pillow balls (mine were bent! one or two), and that CF shock tower, with that and a few other dirty tricks and it should be at the low 7lbs - just amazing @Yonic

Cheers guys

Hey @Yonic
One more thing, can you tell me more about these rear CVDs?
What part# is that? I've never seen them before.
Cool you're in Tel Aviv, I didn't get a chance to go there in many years.

And I imagine the v3 carbon rear tower will fix the shock length issue for the back as well?
Mmm, I'm not sure what issue you are referring to.. the shock towers haven't changed between the v3/v4/exb

Hey @Yonic you could probably save a lot of weight with my custom m2c/EXB bumper

About 6 grams versus 50grams for the EXB bumper
Yeah I know, it's one thing I kept because I feel it worth for the extra durability, not only it adds a skid plate for the front, but also the bumper helps keeping the front shocks from bending, when crashing into other cars on the track.

I didn't go nuts but I ordered the plastic braces, ti pillow balls (mine were bent! one or two), and that CF shock tower,
Plastic braces will save you 20g
Ti PB will save you 40g (and its unsprung weight even)
I didn't weight the carbon shock tower before installing.. but I believe that's another 25-30g

I would also recommend the v3 motor mount, as its another 40g you can save

One more thing, can you tell me more about these rear CVDs?
it's just the front CVD's used in the rear (instead of the dog bones). I don't recall the weight differences.. maybe just 20g, but it's rotating mass so that was my excuse :). I also think it worth it since the dog bone axle let dirt get though to the area inside the wheel hub (between the inner/outer bearings), which shorten the bearings life.

If you're feeling fancy, you can install the Durango cvd's.. it's a little extra over the Arrma counterpart, but they are thinner, nicer machined and a little bit lighter (not substantial). I got a set and put it in the front, and I moved the stock ones to the rear.

Last edited:
BTW, why do you have your steering link connected on the underside? (on the steering block side)
don't it gives you weird bump steer like that? stock it is mounted on top.

Well I am impatient and can't wait on thing so I ordered $360 worth of parts and when they get here and I have time I will post the weight savings if any I got from them all. Still have a M2C speed chassis to order but I am trying to wait on getting that lol.

Mmm, I'm not sure what issue you are referring to.. the shock towers haven't changed between the v3/v4/exb
Something about the position changed and there is some binding,or at least less travel when mixing EXB cars and prior rear arms together

You are probably right, I may have attached the link to the wrong side in haste and not noticed, thanks
Well I am impatient and can't wait on thing so I ordered $360 worth of parts and when they get here and I have time I will post the weight savings if any I got from them all. Still have a M2C speed chassis to order but I am trying to wait on getting that lol.
Always wanted to try the speed chassis!
Let me know it's exact weight when you get it 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back