CHNL batteries are junk at least for safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge in an ammo can that I line with rock tile and also have it sitting on tile as well in case of a fire to help absorb a lot of the heat and tile doesn't burn also.

Bat-Safe is nice because it has an inner compartment insulated by mineral wool, which means the outside surface temperature stays low during a battery fire, which along with its soot filtration capability means you can charge on your kitchen table with low risk. After a fire you'll just need to open your house windows to ventilate. Ideal for people in apartments or anywhere without a garage or shop.

Recently happened with a Q8 ISDT. Was talking to someone at the flying field. Battery was charged and the charger beeped. Kept on talking. The charger actually kept on charging further instead of shutting down. Saw it at 4,28Volt. Could reproduce the same behaviour.

You absolutely need to charge and discharge a new lipo a few times. Breaks down chemicals to reduce the internal resistance. Low internal resistance keeps your lipos cooler if you start bashing. Charge slowly with low Amps so the different cells can adjust to each other. Don't have your charger in a rack or so. Put it on the cement floor to charge in a lipo bag (actually pretty useless but will buy you some time).

Normal chargers are useless for discharging large lipos as they can only handle about 10 Watt. Have killed chargers that way. You need a real discharger. Store lipos at storage level. If something decides to burn then the engergy level of the battery is so low that it might not even burn.

First picture of the thread, as someone said before, that charger went first.

Balance boards are just no good. Had one fire with one. One shunt ribbon cable shorted. Minimal damage. I was watching it. Lipos were spared.
I use a Josh Bardwell board now. Uses fast acting resettable Poly fuses for safety on each charge circuit. No fires. ISDT makes a great one also. Cheap generic balance boards are known to fail. U Pay for what you get. But I avoid using them when I can. I have 2 2channel Chargers and one more single channel to charge all my lipos in one shot.
:cool:
Got a picture of what you use and a link? Thanks buddy

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-PC-4860...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482457066017&psc=1

https://pyrodrone.com/products/strix-ultimate-joshua-bardwell-parallel-charging-board-2-6s

This JB bal. board above is the latest one.
I have an older one, below in the video, which was superseded by the one above.
Of course you need your own adapters to charge with bal. boards.
Many don't use bal boards or even know what they are.:giggle: But if you do, use the best. Cheapos will cause a fire easily. Been there.
This below, is the older one I have now:

Last edited:
u did something wrong buddy...couple of bad batteries in a 100000 doesn't mean that are poop dumkun
Then the other times I did it wrong too, over the last 6 years. With zero incidents close to imo 1000 batteries charged. Don't see how you can say I did something wrong bud. I would never make such assumptions.

Last edited:
Then the other times I did it wrong too, over the last 6 years. With zero incidents close to imo 1000 batteries charged. Don't see how you can say I did something wrong bud. I would never make such assumptions.
I wouldn’t even waste your breath on replying to that asshat. When a brand-new members first posts are moronic it’s just not worth wasting energy to respond 😂

how perfect do u want the chinese to be...

Without Lipos, RC does not exist, as with any device, cellphones and many other consumer goods. Like you can't run a gas car without gas.
Chinesium stuff, whatever the goods, have a quick life cycle. They are not focused on longevity at all. Part of their successful Mfr. culture. Politically driven in many cases. Replace products constantly. Like it is a normal thing. NOT here it is. Just that they control our buying habits. They dominate complete Global control of the raw materials for Lipo production. Got us by the Balls. Nothing new.
User error is not ALWAYS to blame.
Planned obsolescence and high failure rates, guaranty's repeat sales at high profit margins. If I get 50+ cycles out of a Lipo before they are tired and done, I did well. The theory that lipo's can last 500 cycles on paper is a lie. From experience.
Why should we buy lipos like it is toilet paper? At the high markups they sell for. It's because they are the only game in town.:( And they know this.
Expensive toilet paper if you ask me.:unsure:

Real Toilet paper is even super expensive in China. They use recycled paper to wipe themselves.:whistle: It is a serious crime to steal Toilet paper from public restrooms. It is that much of a problem. Another issue and off topic altogether. I digress.
A different culture. True stuff.

Last edited:
u must be perfect bud 1000 charged n no mistakes

I wouldn’t even waste your breath on replying to that asshat. When a brand-new members first posts are moronic it’s just not worth wasting energy to respond 😂
these batteries are at the leading edge of tech...read the instruction...use a lipo bag..when u r at the leading edge u hav failures...just ask elon with his launches
these batteries are at the leading edge of tech...read the instruction...use a lipo bag..when u r at the leading edge u hav failures...just ask elon with his launches
and god bless Elon

Elon does Not MAKE lipos. He is not a god. He sources 18650's like everyone else does. He has even sourced 21700's as of late. 18650's been around for a while. Nothing new at all. Some are cheaper grade, others Grade A....better. Japan made LIon cells are the best.
With the standard brick style RC Lipo's we use, the cells are sourced from China.
Leading Edge means nothing here. They are in the hands of consumers. I have received many BAD lipos out the package before. Regardless of brand or price. I have 18+ lipos here at any given time. Diff brands and prices. They rarely last or perform well after 50 full cycles. Always charged at a 1C rate.
And with care and feeding, there is NO room for error.
A puffed cell is one sign of user error. Grade A cells are just more forgiving.
Notice that no brand will state what grade cells they are matching in any given pack. This is Dark proprietary information the end user does not have. Subpar grades make more profit. I feel RC lipos in general get the crap, leftover cells in many cases. Regardless of price or brand. RC is an expensive hobby in general. So lipo brands could care less, and know we will have to spend high $$$ on whatever they sell. We are a captured market.

Last edited:
Without Lipos, RC does not exist, as with any device, cellphones and many other consumer goods. Like you can't run a gas car without gas.
Chinesium stuff, whatever the goods, have a quick life cycle. They are not focused on longevity at all. Part of their successful Mfr. culture. Politically driven in many cases. Replace products constantly. Like it is a normal thing. NOT here it is. Just that they control our buying habits. They dominate complete Global control of the raw materials for Lipo production. Got us by the Balls. Nothing new.
User error is not ALWAYS to blame.
Planned obsolescence and high failure rates, guaranty's repeat sales at high profit margins. If I get 50+ cycles out of a Lipo before they are tired and done, I did well. The theory that lipo's can last 500 cycles on paper is a lie. From experience.
Why should we buy lipos like it is toilet paper? At the high markups they sell for. It's because they are the only game in town.:( And they know this.
Expensive toilet paper if you ask me.:unsure:

Real Toilet paper is even super expensive in China. They use recycled paper to wipe themselves.:whistle: It is a serious crime to steal Toilet paper from public restrooms. It is that much of a problem. Another issue and off topic altogether. I digress.
A different culture. True stuff.
basically you want quality stuff for the price of a penny...they hav good toilet paper...they planted more than a billion trees in the desert...that ever get mentioned....just the bad stuff...u r no 1 for it...an iphone quality last for ages but it comes at a price...there is warranty...do u think they like that invoked..expensive batteries are made to the best specs....they don't deliberately make short span batteries bud....no one is stopping other parties to make stuff for the masses....the masses not the privelege few...there hav to be a balance...not everyone can own a reliable ferrari
Elon does Not MAKE lipos. He is not a god. He sources 18650's like everyone else does. He has even sourced 21700's as of late. 18650's been around for a while. Nothing new at all. Some are cheaper grade, others Grade A....better. Japan made LIon cells are the best.
With the standard brick style RC Lipo's we use, the cells are sourced from China.
Leading Edge means nothing here. They are in the hands of consumers. I have received many BAD lipos out the package before. Regardless of brand or price. I have 18+ lipos here at any given time. Diff brands and prices. They rarely last or perform well after 50 full cycles. Always charged at a 1C rate.
And with care and feeding, there is NO room for error.
A puffed cell is one sign of user error. Grade A cells are just more forgiving.
Notice that no brand will state what grade cells they are matching in any given pack. This is Dark proprietary information the end user does not have. Subpar grades make more profit. I feel RC lipos in general get the crap, leftover cells in many cases. Regardless of price or brand. RC is an expensive hobby in general. So lipo brands could care less, and know we will have to spend high $$$ on whatever they sell. We are a captured market.
anyways i m grateful i got good rc cars and i don't think i paid much for it at all...my batteries are fine...i must be the lucky few....never received a bad product from china inc

Last edited:
basically you want quality stuff for the price of a penny...they hav good toilet paper...they planted more than a billion trees in the desert...that ever get mentioned....just the bad stuff...u r no 1 for it...an iphone quality last for ages but it comes at a price...there is warranty...do u think they like that invoked..expensive batteries are made to the best specs....they don't deliberately make short span batteries bud....no one is stopping other parties to make stuff for the masses....the masses not the privelege few...there hav to be a balance...not everyone can own a reliable ferrari

anyways i m grateful i got good rc cars and i don't think i paid much for it at all...my batteries are fine...i must be the lucky few....never received a bad product from china inc

maybe if u change your tone u might get some good stuff

You assume very much. Every sentence you stated was incorrect. You sound like a liberal college student there.
I suggest you read up on the subject.
I am very open minded. And well read in regards. I would not comment otherwise.
Start with understanding the world economy better.
China's economic Belt Silk Road agenda. Instituted many years ago.
The products and goods we get is directly involved in their agenda. The lipo industry sector is one of many CN State Run Industries.
Is what it is. Blaming or excuses won't solve anything.
Make stuff cheap and they don't last long. And Funny how cheap became $140. for lipo that can't last 50 cycles on average. Apple included. Battery fails in a $1k+ phone, and you are forced buy another one or buy another that's a refurb under warranty having an old lipo in it anyway. Apple is in bed with Cn.
Is that intentional or by accident?
You are entitled to your opinion.
Who am I to say otherwise.

Last edited:
You assume very much. Every sentence you stated was incorrect. You sound like a liberal college student there.
The products and goods we get is directly involved in their agenda. The lipo industry sector is one of many CN State Run Industries.
Make stuff cheap and they don't last long. And Funny how cheap became $140. for lipo that can't last 50 cycles on average. Apple included. Battery fails in a $1k+ phone, and you are forced buy another one or buy another that's a refurb under warranty having an old lipo in it anyway.
well the chinese are not children of the book
Make stuff cheap and they don't last long. And Funny how cheap became $140. for lipo that can't last 50 cycles on average. Apple included. Battery fails in a $1k+ phone, and you are forced buy another one or buy another that's a refurb under warranty having an old lipo in it anyway.
i guess the chinese are not children of the book...they are the evil dragon not the wisdom dragon...i guess they want to take over the world..doesn't everyone...its all pre-empted in the good book...
well the chinese are not children of the book

i guess the chinese are not children of the book...they are the evil dragon not the wisdom dragon...i guess they want to take over the world..doesn't everyone...its all pre-empted in the good book...
i guess i could be wrong

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back