CHNL batteries are junk at least for safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was probably caused by an internal cell defect from the factory or from mishandling at some stage of the battery's brief life. It's hard to get a damaged cell to go into thermal runaway when it's charged to below 50% SoC for shipping and storage, but put it on a charger and get current flowing and that defect turns into a short circuit that moves quite a bit of current with high resistance. A lot of heat is generated and the temperature in the cell rises, eventually the separator melts increasing the area of shorting and generating more heat, the cell is now in thermal runaway, the electrolyte vaporizes and pressurizes the cell, the cell bursts and the gases vent, mix with oxygen and burn, the plastic parts of the pack burn and you end up with that charred mess in the pictures above with a bunch of soot everywhere and various flammable, toxic and corrosive gases vented into the room.

Luckily the damage was limited in your experience here, but now would be a good time to get a Bat-Safe to charge in. Keep the bags for storage as I'd wager you're more likely to be struck by lightning than have a battery fail energetically at 3.8V/cell, but during and after charging they really are a significant hazard as you've discovered. I wouldn't assume this incident has anything to do with a specific battery vendor being bad as all the major brands are made using similar processes and often in the same factories. The risk is just part of the game when using this type of battery.

Balance boardS are just dumb. Like why use those things? Just get extender cords for the balance plug for the charger and plug ur balance elads on the other end. Who started the balance board trend?
This was probably caused by an internal cell defect from the factory or from mishandling at some stage of the battery's brief life. It's hard to get a damaged cell to go into thermal runaway when it's charged to below 50% SoC for shipping and storage, but put it on a charger and get current flowing and that defect turns into a short circuit that moves quite a bit of current with high resistance. A lot of heat is generated and the temperature in the cell rises, eventually the separator melts increasing the area of shorting and generating more heat, the cell is now in thermal runaway, the electrolyte vaporizes and pressurizes the cell, the cell bursts and the gases vent, mix with oxygen and burn, the plastic parts of the pack burn and you end up with that charred mess in the pictures above with a bunch of soot everywhere and various flammable, toxic and corrosive gases vented into the room.

Luckily the damage was limited in your experience here, but now would be a good time to get a Bat-Safe to charge in. Keep the bags for storage as I'd wager you're more likely to be struck by lightning than have a battery fail energetically at 3.8V/cell, but during and after charging they really are a significant hazard as you've discovered. I wouldn't assume this incident has anything to do with a specific battery vendor being bad as all the major brands are made using similar processes and often in the same factories. The risk is just part of the game when using this type of battery.
I always check the battery resistance and Voltages before their first charge. If a cell starts to go crazy the charge should shutdown imo. I charge on a ceramic floor. I have extension leads on my charger but still not long enough to put the lipo on any kind of safe. I had lipo backs but those things do almost nothing and the fiber glass just destroys my hand. Mede in china crap with tiny invisible blades around the walls of those suckers. My lipos are stored in a safe.

Last edited:
Balance boardS are just dumb. Like why use those things? Just get extender cords for the balance plug for the charger and plug ur balance elads on the other end. Who started the balance board trend?
The Drone/Quad crowd started the bal. board thing. For low volt, low Capacity lipos they use. Quad guys only get like 3-5 mins on a pack. So they need to charge many packs for an outing. Hence Bal. boards. A board can charge 10+ lipos at a time with one charger. Provided the charger can handle it, and all the packs are close in capacity and same volts. ( # cells)
Look over all quad sites. You see them there. Losing popularity, I think. It is commonly known Cheapo's cause fires.
Some chargers use to come with them years back. Cheap generic ones.

Last edited:
Sent Kevin a message.

Screenshot_20220404-095053_Outlook.jpg

More

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-100011_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-100011_Outlook.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Little disappointed given the severity I thought he would contact me right away.( Kevin cnhl) No news , my insurance company contacted me 2x. Going to a hotel for a few days. Thank goodness for renters insurance we carry 50k. Appreciate all the kind words ... thank you all!!

CNHL responded Jasmine a few emails later New batteries of course. And 500 in extra batteries with a request they be tested again before shipping. The extra is to compensate me for my charger... desk....etc.....

CNHL responded Jasmine a few emails later New batteries of course. And 500 in extra batteries with a request they be tested again before shipping. The extra is to compensate me for my charger... desk....etc.....
More than I got. Lol no response.

At this point I'll take whatever. Just to replace the dead 4s. ☠️ I think he keeps getting confused. @Edough13

View attachment 210474
Send him links of the packs you want and let him know what you want. He just got back to me recently and said he'd been in lockdown for a while so he's backed up trying to catch up. He will make it right just give him some time and keep sending him emails.

I went a step further ordered a steel box will drill out for the wires.
Lol the fire pack, guess that's me. Out of curiosity why does he mention it ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back