CHNL batteries are junk at least for safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boggs3010

Very Active Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Vendetta
1st time charging them after usage. 90 minutes stayed in the room left for 30 and this. No major damage , yes FD called and insurance claim. Could of been much worse smoke detectors helped. ( In the room)

IMG_20220403_175235758.jpg

IMG_20220403_175258779.jpg

Can't say 100% no one can, but have used that charger 100x no issues . New batteries 1st full charge. Leaning towards the batteries.

That sucks man. I’ve got 40+ cnhl batteries with no issues .
I’ve had some survive really rough wrecks and still use them.
I do try to charge them safely on my concrete basement floor away from anything flammable for safety and keep them all in storage.

I would like to charge them on my patio. But no one thought to put an outlet outside. FD saw all of my lipo bags and we're happy to see that . So much smoke 1000's to clean. Geico will be handling the claim. The desk some how contained the fire.
IMG_20220403_164119795.jpg

I would like to charge them on my patio. But no one thought to put an outlet outside. FD saw all of my lipo bags and we're happy to see that . So much smoke 1000's to clean. Geico will be handling the claim. The desk some how contained the fire.
View attachment 210052
What were you charging at??

Can confirm.. they have already replaced my 9500mah packs. Now these need to be tossed. And no I wasn't charging em. I just threw them on for the voltage reading. I was charging the 9500mah..
Hopefully makes sense. I'll zero it out and show it again without charging time from the previous charges

20220403_162053.jpg

Last edited:
@Boggs3010,
Sorry but it doesn't look like it was the CNHL Lipo that failed on you.. :rolleyes: The charger usually won't fry like that if it was a lipo fire. The charger will just disconnect/ stop charging, as a failsafe when it sees a spike or dead/open short. Most modern chargers do this for safety.
The charger failed internally on you. Kind of obvious by the pics. Charger failed first. Not the other way around. We always get concerned over lipo fires. Rightfully so. However, many overlook the Charger. They fail as well. Especially cheapo's or old ones. As in this case here. Been there. And had it been a Lipo fire, there would have been worse carnage IMHO. The cell(s) would have breached and torched up out the gate... Glad you are ok.:rolleyes:
I bet the lipo is still good if you check it first. If the wires can be salvaged along with a new connector. But I would just toss the lipo if in doubt.
Just me.
:cool:

Last edited:
Can confirm.. they have already replaced my 9500mah packs. Now these need to be tossed. And no I wasn't charging em. I just threw them on for the voltage reading. I was charging the 9500mah

View attachment 210053
Chinashium
Hrb and zee are the best in my book for the price

@Boggs3010, maybe I missed something???
How many lipos were you charging? You do have one exploded lipo there?????
Did you use a Balance board??

What were you charging at??
On a desk. With a fire resistant mat. Sorry doing some cleaning !!! Soot on everything in the Condo.
@Boggs3010, maybe I missed something???
How many lipos were you charging? You do have one exploded lipo there?????
Did you use a Balance board??
2 charging always use a balance board and balance board.

One battery is incinerated just black soot. It of course was by the charger balance board isn't that long.

IMG_20220403_164119795~2.jpg

On a desk. With a fire resistant mat. Sorry doing some cleaning !!! Soot on everything in the Condo.

2 charging always use a balance board and balance board.
Rookie numbers 🤣 just kidding glad you are safe

20220403_121919.jpg

Balance boards are just no good. Had one fire with one. One shunt ribbon cable shorted. Minimal damage. I was watching it. Lipos were spared.
I use a Josh Bardwell board now. Uses fast acting resettable Poly fuses for safety on each charge circuit. No fires. ISDT makes a great one also. Cheap generic balance boards are known to fail. U Pay for what you get. But I avoid using them when I can. I have 2 2channel Chargers and one more single channel to charge all my lipos in one shot.
:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back