Outcast Bullet Proofed Wing Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Got the idea from FB, on the Arrma Tips & Tricks page.
94mm Traxxas 2338 turnbuckles...some decent thickness washers, and 20mm button head screws.
Insane how much this firms up the wing mount...tail landing are a little less scary now, we'll see how she holds up!!

IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG

I got the idea from @schoeds here-Replacement kraton shocks?

In my experience the 94mm turnbuckles are just a touch long and are a sacrificial part, I think schoeds mentioned that in that thread as well. I ordered some 4mm diameter 92mm turnbuckles with 4mm ends to try next. Hopefully they are a bit stronger.

I got the idea from @schoeds here-Replacement kraton shocks?

In my experience the 94mm turnbuckles are just a touch long and are a sacrificial part, I think schoeds mentioned that in that thread as well. I ordered some 4mm diameter 92mm turnbuckles with 4mm ends to try next. Hopefully they are a bit stronger.

I found the 94mm to be the perfect length actually...I just screwed the end caps almost all the way down. If they are a sacrificial part that's ok...$8 for a turnbuckle is better than ruining the wing mount, and a much quicker fix.
I also like the look...makes the back end look more beefy.

I found the 94mm to be the perfect length actually...I just screwed the end caps almost all the way down. If they are a sacrificial part that's ok...$8 for a turnbuckle is better than ruining the wing mount, and a much quicker fix.
I also like the look...makes the back end look more beefy.
That's a really cool mod. Do you think this will help the wheelie bar from braking in half? I have already broken two of them. I currently have RPM wing mount.

That's a really cool mod. Do you think this will help the wheelie bar from braking in half? I have already broken two of them. I currently have RPM wing mount.

Yes, as it firms up the whole rear end, and wing mounts in particular thereby minimizing torsional forces that would break the mounts, or the wheelie bar itself.

This is definitely on my list of things to do on both my Outcast and Kraton.

How has this held up?! I at this rate anything to keep a wing mount in tack is betr then nothing lol me and buddy both have rpm mounts to send back and he destroyed a t bone racing mount!

How has this held up?! I at this rate anything to keep a wing mount in tack is betr then nothing lol me and buddy both have rpm mounts to send back and he destroyed a t bone racing mount!

Holding up very well actually.
I have not had too many bad tail landings though. If I’m mid air and need to ‘ditch’, I will throttle or brake so the nose dives as much as possible.
Easier said than done of course and tail landings are sometimes unavoidable. That being said, I’ve had a few...not sure whether the landings would have otherwise destroyed the wing mounts, but the added protection likely helped regardless.
Worthwhile mod in my estimation.

So how this thing holds together after almost 1 year?
Have you landed on the wing and it did not break?

Looks good!
Those are some very thick washers between the turnbuckles and mounting point.
What length screw are you using to compensate for the added depth, 16mm or 20mm?

Looks good!
What length screw are you using to compensate for the added depth, 16mm or 20mm?
Those are bushings from Traxxas Rustler
I don't know the length but there compensate the stock length after bushings washers and turnbuckles

Looks good!

traxxas-1675.jpg

Traxxas 1675

I use those bushings as spacers for things all the time. They are actually what I used to raise the esc tray on my 2pede so I could run my 3s lipo in it.

Sorry for the thread resurrection.... Any update on if this mod has lasted? Taken many direct hits and kept going? And does it transfer shock to other places and break other things?
Would rather break a $10 mount then a diff housing or somthing more complicated/costly.

Thanks
Got the idea from FB, on the Arrma Tips & Tricks page.
94mm Traxxas 2338 turnbuckles...some decent thickness washers, and 20mm button head screws.
Insane how much this firms up the wing mount...tail landing are a little less scary now, we'll see how she holds up!!

View attachment 10338 View attachment 10339 View attachment 10340
^as stated above.... Update sir?
Sorry super old I know

This mod worked perfect for me.
I used arrma rods instead of Traxxas and worked better.
I will post pics soon

This mod worked perfect for me.
I used arrma rods instead of Traxxas and worked better.
I will post pics soon
Cool buddy.
I boiled my stock and RPM mounts on my Kraton and Talion and they took some good hits today... But if your saying this lasted months not weeks and dozens and dozens of direct hits as opposed to 5??
Yeah man post some pics up with part numbers ??

Appreciate ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back