Affordable 1/10 scale aluminium shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the front I have tried the traxxas ultra "long" shocks and now the gmade 75mm xd shocks. The ultras were very stiff with a little too much travel. It made it way too bouncy for my driving. I now have the gmades fitted and after a few adjustments, really liking them. At first they felt way too soft, but maybe attributed to being used to the ultras. I have only tested on-road so far but love how they handle. Im thinking for bashing it still might be too soft with the included springs. I will report back afterward. Hope this info helps.

Attachments

• 20160314_184140.jpg
    20160314_184140.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20160314_190232.jpg
    20160314_190232.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 63
I would recommend the Traxxas big bore shocks decent price and huge performance upgrade!! They are a direct fit come with oil and all the hardware needed for the install.

The Big Bores are plastic are they not? I figured for $10 or so more I can get aluminum bodied shocks

I am using the traxxas big bore XXL shocks for the rear and agree they are actually really nice.

About the softness of springs, expressed by spring rate, there are two things:

higher spring rated coils (stiffer) are the best for bashing, but do not improve handling (often even the opposite)
If you just want to ride or race with your friends, softer springs are - especially on rough dirt - better.
Better said, they make your car faster over the track.

On-road is a different story. But than you should also add stabilizer bars and lower your ride height.

When you find a good coil/shock combo: try to look for different spring rated coils.
Often they have a different color or color marking. This will enable to tune your ride.

Shock oil only slows down the actual push in and pull out of the whole shock.
Without oil (like cheap RC's often have like the Kyosho Sand Master buggy) your suspension will vibrate a lot, thus preventing the wheels to touch the surface all the time (is less grip = worse handling).

When you are a basher, thicker shock oil can help preventing bottom out's after huge jumps.
But stiffer springs (higher spring rate) are a way better way to go. This will also enhance the life cycle of your shocks, because the force is then handled by the coil instead of the piston/cylinder.

About the softness of springs, expressed by spring rate, there are two things:

higher spring rated coils (stiffer) are the best for bashing, but do not improve handling (often even the opposite)
If you just want to ride or race with your friends, softer springs are - especially on rough dirt - better.
Better said, they make your car faster over the track.

On-road is a different story. But than you should also add stabilizer bars and lower your ride height.

When you find a good coil/shock combo: try to look for different spring rated coils.
Often they have a different color or color marking. This will enable to tune your ride.

Shock oil only slows down the actual push in and pull out of the whole shock.
Without oil (like cheap RC's often have like the Kyosho Sand Master buggy) your suspension will vibrate a lot, thus preventing the wheels to touch the surface all the time (is less grip = worse handling).

When you are a basher, thicker shock oil can help preventing bottom out's after huge jumps.
But stiffer springs (higher spring rate) are a way better way to go. This will also enhance the life cycle of your shocks, because the force is then handled by the coil instead of the piston/cylinder.
Nice info
View attachment 1569
Here you go @mrbelloso I believe this is the picture @LunchBox was talking about, I never really got them... but this was from someone on facebook.[/QUOTE
Yup that's it!
That's the one!

Have a look at the Traxxas Big Bores for the Slash/Rustlers, they're pretty good and can be found for a decent price. Proline's shocks are also some highly rated 1/10 scale shocks that offer a ton of tuning options but are double the price of the Big Bores. I'm actually running the stock shocks from a Losi Ten-SCT on my Rusty and they are great, I highly suggest them for a badger if they'll fit.

I can confirm that the Big Bores did fit with a small modification to the fronts. Would need to swap out the ball joint(where the screw goes) with the one from the stock shocks. This is on a Vorteks Mega 2013.

Attachments

• 2016-04-20.jpg
    2016-04-20.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 73
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back