Affordable 1/10 scale aluminium shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news guys, my traxxas big bores fit, rear are a direct fit and the front only need a slight mod... the fronts need to be swapped with the stock lower ball end in order to fit in the front a arms. Good luck all! The shocks come with 30wt shock oil

Product is TRA5862

Good news guys, my traxxas big bores fit, rear are a direct fit and the front only need a slight mod... the fronts need to be swapped with the stock lower ball end in order to fit in the front a arms. Good luck all! The shocks come with 30wt shock oil

Product is TRA5862
Isnt the traxxas front shocks 90mm

J/w I have an awesome set of atomics on my granite. I put them on at 90mm and didn't care for the extra height. I also jump back and forth from bashing to a drag race set up! We have a club called rc132ft for drag racing. So I like to stay low or atleast regular ride height. Remember u can always put limiters on the shock to bring them back down to about 80mm

J/w I have an awesome set of atomics on my granite. I put them on at 90mm and didn't care for the extra height. I also jump back and forth from bashing to a drag race set up! We have a club called rc132ft for drag racing. So I like to stay low or atleast regular ride height. Remember u can always put limiters on the shock to bring them back down to about 80mm
Update the big bores come with bump stops too

that's pretty awesome. How about a pic of them!
I believe I posted them in my improved life of my fury page

View attachment 1935 an update! Woooooohooooo got the traxxas big bore installed and ready to roll! The ride height is perfect for offroading now, doesn't squat as much as the stock either! Will give you all updates about these shocks

Here is the pic of my fury with the shocks on (attachment 1935)

Lol! I wanted to see the shock bump stop they sent with them!
14655292343951745656799.jpg
had to take off the bottom in order for my camera to focus... but the blue thing is the bump stop

If you were to put that bump stop inside the shock it would limit the extended length and get you closer to the stock 78mm length of the Arrma shocks... as you have it now on the outside it limits your compressed length which is usually only needed if you have binding of some sort at full compression.

upload_2016-6-10_8-36-34.png

NOTE: Those part numbers are Ultra shocks I think... but the application works for Big Bores or other shocks as well.

If you were to put that bump stop inside the shock it would limit the extended length and get you closer to the stock 78mm length of the Arrma shocks... as you have it now on the outside it limits your compressed length which is usually only needed if you have binding of some sort at full compression.

View attachment 1951

NOTE: Those part numbers are Ultra shocks I think... but the application works for Big Bores or other shocks as well.

I like the ride height actually and I think the bump stop is Ok preventing me from bottoming out. I don't think I need to be but if some people want to make the shocks shorter this is a good option, thank you walter

Last edited:
Finally got my big bores installed. I struggled with this, as I hadn't found an appropriate bushing for the top mounts. Digging for something else, I found some 3x5x3.5mm aluminum bushings. They work great with a couple of flat washers on each side. Wish I could find a part # for them, as I'd like to get more. I'm guessing they are Traxxas, since all our other RC's are Traxxas, but I can't find anything similar on their website. Also, on my Fury Mega, installing the aluminum brace behind the front shocks line them up better in the upper arms.

IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3533.JPG

Traxxas uses shouldered bolts for the shock mounting. I would just grab a bag of associated 91445. Those are the shock bushings for the 12mm 1/10 scale shocks. If the bushings are a bit snug I would use a dremel to make your shock caps just a tad bigger.

Of course you could go all out and get the associated shocks to go with the mounts too

Finally got my big bores installed. I struggled with this, as I hadn't found an appropriate bushing for the top mounts. Digging for something else, I found some 3x5x3.5mm aluminum bushings. They work great with a couple of flat washers on each side. Wish I could find a part # for them, as I'd like to get more. I'm guessing they are Traxxas, since all our other RC's are Traxxas, but I can't find anything similar on their website. Also, on my Fury Mega, installing the aluminum brace behind the front shocks line them up better in the upper arms.

View attachment 2094 View attachment 2095
I had no problem with the install on mine, I used the stock washers and for the front shocks I had to change it and put the stock lower ball end on and I was good to go

Here are my big bores installed hope this helps :)
I used some things from stock and the bushings from the kit
IMG_20160707_141148.jpg
IMG_20160707_141139.jpg

Last edited:
My kids had some of the beads that you put on a tray and then heat with an iron to melt them together... (Google tells me they are called "Perler" beads.) While any of the beads would have worked, I found they are all ever so slightly different and after trying a few I found some that were a perfect fit, and the color I wanted, for both the screw on the interior and the shock eye on the exterior.

So that was my, essentially free, solution. Find a kid with some of these beads and you'll be back to driving in no time.

Here is a googled image to show the beads I'm talking about:
15036.jpg

As a bonus... if you have to buy some of these it's "For the Kids" and doesn't have to count against your RC budget. ;)

If you send us the measurement from eye to eye of the front and the back, we will be happy to help you find them. Please send them in millimetres.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back