Which ESC is better/ or more reliable spectrum firma ESC or ESC by Castle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
Hey guys so I want to upgrade my stock 3s system in my Big Papa long Rock to a 4s system but I'm confused about which ESC is more reliable or / better. I'm trying to avoid my build from going up in flames due to a faulty ESC..I've been reading threads that some firma spectrum ESC s catch on fire but I also heard some castle ESC s also have caught on fire .so seriously which one is a better choice.i only do moderate speed passes and I'm only looking to stay in the mid 60s any help would be appreciated thanks guys👍

Hey guys so I want to upgrade my stock 3s system in my Big Papa long Rock to a 4s system but I'm confused about which ESC is more reliable or / better. I'm trying to avoid my build from going up in flames due to a faulty ESC..I've been reading threads that some firma spectrum ESC s catch on fire but I also heard some castle ESC s also have caught on fire .so seriously which one is a better choice.i only do moderate speed passes and I'm only looking to stay in the mid 60s any help would be appreciated thanks guys👍
The fires are only happening the to the Firma 150a none of the other Spektrum escs seem to be affected by this. And as far as Castle goes those seem to have only affected the XLX2 when they first came out and people were running motors and gearing combos that were not know to be incompatible with the esc. As far as I know that issue with the Castle escs has been rectified.

For speed runs in your big rock I would try to squeeze a MM2 in it that was the go to esc for speed runners before the XLX and hte XLX2 was released.

Last edited:
Originally I wanted to keep the electronics in Big Papa long Rock by arrma because I've had awesome luck with the 100 amp stock esc and the stock motor .but I need to go to 4 s to accomodate for the added weight I've added to this build .I was thinking of getting a 120 amp spectrum firma ESC .I don't really need a 185 amp or a 150 amp and the 130 amp I heard nothing but negative about it..then I started looking at castle and saw the mamba x which I believe is 2s -8s .the price for them seem ideal .also the esc from spectrum have that lvc limiter that cuts off..so many say castle is better because I wouldn't have to worry about that issue but I'm only looking to hit around mid 60s or 70s and I baby my build to much to beat on it .so really seriously .since I'm not looking to scream this at 100mph or higher which one is better for my kind of use ?? I do like the 120 amp firma but the mamba x looks good to.im confused need your serious input

Originally I wanted to keep the electronics in Big Papa long Rock by arrma because I've had awesome luck with the 100 amp stock esc and the stock motor .but I need to go to 4 s to accomodate for the added weight I've added to this build .I was thinking of getting a 120 amp spectrum firma ESC .I don't really need a 185 amp or a 150 amp and the 130 amp I heard nothing but negative about it..then I started looking at castle and saw the mamba x which I believe is 2s -8s .the price for them seem ideal .also the esc from spectrum have that lvc limiter that cuts off..so many say castle is better because I wouldn't have to worry about that issue but I'm only looking to hit around mid 60s or 70s and I baby my build to much to beat on it .so really seriously .since I'm not looking to scream this at 100mph or higher which one is better for my kind of use ?? I do like the 120 amp firma but the mamba x looks good to.im confused need your serious input
Mamba X is 6s the Mamba Monster X 8s is 8s. The Mamba X would probably be fine too but it costs more than the Mamba Monster 2.

Basically with Castle you have the following escs.

Mamba Monster Micro X
Sidewinder 3/4/SCT
Copperhead 10
Sidewinder 8th
Mamba X
Mamba Monster 2
Mamba Monster X
Mamba Monster X 8S
XLX2.

Right now I'm not interested in data logging.im not that much into speed running yet .but it's all I do and I keep it moderate.but would be nice to have if needed
Mamba X is 6s the Mamba Monster X 8s is 8s. The Mamba X would probably be fine too but it costs more than the Mamba Monster 2.

Mamba Monster Micro X
Sidewinder 3/4/SCT
Copperhead.
Mamba X
Mamba Monster 2
Mamba Monster X
Mamba Monster X 8S
XLX2.
Sorry.im not familiar with castle's ESC line up ..that helps a lot ..so yeah I just want to go 4s I think it will be what I need to hit them mid 60s and carry this heavy ass build .well to me it's heavy maybey not to some but compared to what it was when it was just a normal Big rock v3 blx .then with all the aluminum upgrades and with adding the double chassis and all the other things .it's pretty heavy and the stock 3s won't get me to that 60 without it struggling and causing a fire and then there goes all my hard work..

Last edited:
Right now I'm not interested in data logging.im not that much into speed running yet .but it's all I do and I keep it moderate.but would be nice to have if needed
Well then it is up to your wallet to decide the Mamba Monster 2 is $149.95, the Mamba X is $169.95 and the Mamba Monster X is $179.95. The Mamba X is the smallest and lightest of the 3 and would be the easiest to fit.

Mamba Monster Micro X
Sidewinder 3/4/SCT
Copperhead 10
Sidewinder 8th
Mamba X
Mamba Monster 2
Mamba Monster X
Mamba Monster X 8S
XLX2.
How castle doesn't do what firma does by naming the esc by how much amps it holds? It's so much easier .like castle confuses me .on the mamba x it does say what kind of lipo it goes to like you said 6s which is nice .has the power of 6s capability of I wanted it but if I just use 4 s it would stay cool right?
Well then it is up to your wallet to decide the Mamba Monster 2 is $149.95, the Mamba X is $169.95 and the Mamba Monster X is $179.95. The Mamba X is the smallest and lightest of the 3 and would be the easiest to fit.
How many amps is the mamba monster 2?

How castle doesn't do what firma does by naming the esc by how much amps it holds? It's so much easier .like castle confuses me .on the mamba x it does say what kind of lipo it goes to like you said 6s which is nice .has the power of 6s capability of I wanted it but if I just use 4 s it would stay cool right?

How many amps is the mamba monster 2?

Because the amp ratings on the escs are over inflated numbers just like with lipo batteries there is no actual standard for testing the amp rating on an esc. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/castle-mm2-vs-mmx.8225/#post-84150

And about the amps, castle doesn’t like to release their amperage because it’s such a messed figure *i mean look Traxxas says their vxl 3s is a 300 amp esc what??* wHaTeVeR amperage the mm2 And mmx have, it’s enough. If it can power my 8th scale MT’s for 5 years it and it’s newer brother will have no problems with whatever you put it in!

In reality the stock BLX100 is not a 100a esc, the BLX120 is not 120a, the Firma 130 is not 130a ect.

Because the amp ratings on the escs are over inflated numbers just like with lipo batteries there is no actual standard for testing the amp rating on an esc. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/castle-mm2-vs-mmx.8225/#post-84150

In reality the stock BLX100 is not a 100a esc, the BLX120 is not 120a, the Firma 130 is not 130a ect.
Oh I see so are you saying that the blx 100 is less or higher? If it's less then that means a 120 is more likely a 100 amp? Or
Is this a good price?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-182103.png
    Screenshot_20230211-182103.png
    614 KB · Views: 45
Oh I see so are you saying that the blx 100 is less or higher? If it's less then that means a 120 is more likely a 100 amp? Or
Is this a good price?
100a is probably closer to the burst amperage rating average is definitely less than 100a. Yeah considering MSRP is like $150.

FWIW the Traxxas MXL-6s which is a rebranded Mamba Monster 2 is rated for 120a.

100a is probably closer to the burst amperage rating average is definitely less than 100a. Yeah considering MSRP is like $150.

FWIW the Traxxas MXL-6s which is a rebranded Mamba Monster 2 is rated for 120a.
Ok so my mind is confused again l.whats your preference.4s system from arrma or castle.and if castle you suggest the mamba monster 2 not x right.?

Ok so my mind is confused again l.whats your preference.4s system from arrma or castle.and if castle you suggest the mamba monster 2 not x right.?

You know how the C rates on a lipo battery are fake made up numbers and don't actually mean anything in real world performance? The amp rates that are listed on an esc are about the same. If you were to put a 100a load on a BLX100 esc it would likely thermal after 10-15 seconds. The only 4s esc I have experience with is the Hexfly HEX10 which is a rebranded Hobbywing Max10 SCT so I have no idea how good the Arrma or Firma 4s are. Only reason I say go with the MM2 over the X is because it is cheaper.

You know how the C rates on a lipo battery are fake made up numbers and don't actually mean anything in real world performance? The amp rates that are listed on an esc are about the same. If you were to put a 100a load on a BLX100 esc it would likely thermal after 10-15 seconds. The only 4s esc I have experience with is the Hexfly HEX10 which is a rebranded Hobbywing Max10 SCT so I have no idea how good the Arrma or Firma 4s are. Only reason I say go with the MM2 over the X is because it is cheaper.
Ok I understand now. but I'm still not getting a real answer .I only plan on using 4 s lipo so for my build and for the way I use my rig moderately would you say go with the mm2 sorry don't mean to be a pain in the ass but lol I really just want to buy something to tonight or at least get a good answer to what's best for my build so I can start looking thanks bud

The fires are only happening the to the Firma 150a none of the other Spektrum escs seem to be affected by this. And as far as Castle goes those seem to have only affected the XLX2 when they first came out and people were running motors and gearing combos that were not know to be incompatible with the esc. As far as I know that issue with the Castle escs has been rectified.

For speed runs in your big rock I would try to squeeze a MM2 in it that was the go to esc for speed runners before the XLX and hte XLX2 was released.
Castle xlx2 can still very much so burst into flames, ask me how I know!! I wish they actually did fix it. With that said I still have a handful that are working just fine even though 2 died so yea.
Ok I understand now. but I'm still not getting a real answer .I only plan on using 4 s lipo so for my build and for the way I use my rig moderately would you say go with the mm2 sorry don't mean to be a pain in the ass but lol I really just want to buy something to tonight or at least get a good answer to what's best for my build so I can start looking thanks bud
mm2 is a great esc and would be leagues better than anything from spektrum. If I were you I'd go for the sensored castle combo but that's just me. 3s/4s line is ebola with cogging if you try to gear up at all. If that doesn't matter to you then just go get that mm2. :cool: (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back