Spur/pinion help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dphung

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Can anybody school me on spur/pinion gearing? I have a hobbywing 5687 setup with a 50T spur and 29T pinion from previous owner. I just put kraton hubs and backflip LPs on my Typhon, is this the right gearing? Is there a better base to start with pinion wise and go up from there?

Picture from today’s first rip.
IMG_7364.jpeg

That's a pretty extreme setup and geared very very high. Assuming you're running 6s, that's geared for a bit over 70 mph. That motor can take it assuming you're running the Max6 ESC, but keep an eye on temps. Backflip LPs are quite a bit bigger than the Typhon 6s stock wheels.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

Play around with the pinion number on here to get an idea of how fast the speed is.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.58.06 PM.png

Nice looking rig for sure! But man the previous owner must've really wanted a Felony or Infraction based on that super high gearing lol.

That's a pretty extreme setup and geared very very high. Assuming you're running 6s, that's geared for a bit over 70 mph. That motor can take it assuming you're running the Max6 ESC, but keep an eye on temps. Backflip LPs are quite a bit bigger than the Typhon 6s stock wheels.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

Play around with the pinion number on here to get an idea of how fast the speed is.

View attachment 346354
I tried looking that up but didn’t know the full info to input into the calculator. Yea I don’t need to go 70, I was thinking drop down to a 20T and go from there. Or should I go lower? It is also on a Max6 ESC.

Divide the circumference of your old wheels by the circumference of your new wheels. Take that total and multiply it by your pinion tooth count. That will give you the adjusted pinion size. This will give you a similar final gear ratio.

Can anybody school me on spur/pinion gearing? I have a hobbywing 5687 setup with a 50T spur and 29T pinion from previous owner. I just put kraton hubs and backflip LPs on my Typhon, is this the right gearing? Is there a better base to start with pinion wise and go up from there?

Picture from today’s first rip.
View attachment 346353
What voltage are you running? It’s geared for mid 70s on 6S, which isn’t too crazy. The tires may not last though.

What voltage are you running? It’s geared for mid 70s on 6S, which isn’t too crazy. The tires may not last though.
I’ve just been running 3s until I get it all setup how I wanted then going to 6s.

I’ve just been running 3s until I get it all setup how I wanted then going to 6s.
It's going to be pretty crazy on 6S. Watch your motor/esc temps and be careful not to break an ankle with that thing. Seriously.

It's going to be pretty crazy on 6S. Watch your motor/esc temps and be careful not to break an ankle with that thing. Seriously.
I got in a program card to check it’s settings, is there a better way to monitor stuff like that? Or just make sure to take a break while playing?

Only one screw in the motor mount on a basher won’t hold mesh well.

Back