Motor / esc upgrade for a 4s Kraton.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1202

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
Hi guys,

After having some issues with my Kraton 4s blx esc I’ve decided it’s time to upgrade. Please bare with me because I’m right at the bottom of the learning curve on this matter 😵‍💫

I’ve added some pictures of possible options, I just wanted to make sure I’m on the right track and my thought process is correct.

So as standard my motor is 2400kv, so my understanding is this.. I could use a 2600kv on standard gearing to get more top speed or I could use a 2250kv and gear it up for more top speed?

Would a 2600kv get hot? Would a 2250kv fit? - another thing I don’t fully understand is how the motors are sized, I thought I did but now I’m not sure 😂

So with the esc is it a case or the more amps the merrier? Or would a better matched esc benefit temps/ performance?

I think I’d choose the quicrun over the ezrun purely on price unless there’s a real benefit to the ezrun?

I just want to use it for general off road bashing, bmx tracks and loose gravel car parks. Nothing too extreme.

Thanks for reading 🤟🏼

IMG_8320.png

IMG_8318.png

IMG_8317.png

IMG_8316.png

IMG_8315.png

I have the first hobbywing motor you linked paired with a max 8 g2 in my kraton 4s and it's really nice. I imagine the cheaper esc would be good enough but the max 8 g2 combo with the 2250kv motor never gets hot and I have it geared up pretty nicely.

I have the first hobbywing motor you linked paired with a max 8 g2 in my kraton 4s and it's really nice. I imagine the cheaper esc would be good enough but the max 8 g2 combo with the 2250kv motor never gets hot and I have it geared up pretty nicely.
Do you think it’s better to lower the kv and gear up, opposed to higher kv and lower/ stock gearing?

In my head I think a lower torque higher rpm engine maybe more suited.. but I might be wrong?

Do you think it’s better to lower the kv and gear up, opposed to higher kv and lower/ stock gearing?

In my head I think a lower torque higher rpm engine maybe more suited.. but I might be wrong?
I think the whole torque thing based on kv is kind of bullshit but to answer your question I'd personally go with the lower kv and gear up as it gives you more options. with the 2250kv motor i'm geared 20/57 which is 60+ mph with stock tires.

I think the whole torque thing based on kv is kind of bullshit but to answer your question I'd personally go with the lower kv and gear up as it gives you more options. with the 2250kv motor i'm geared 20/57 which is 60+ mph with stock tires.
Do you run fans and/or heat sinks with this set up?

Are you going to run 6S? I have the 2050kv and the 150 ESC in my Kraton 4s v2 on 20/57 gearing and on 6s it's just too much. so I run 4s and it fly's.

So I think I’ll go for the 150amp esc and 2250kv motor.

Naturally I want the ezrun. But the cheaper quicrun is obviously tempting. What do you guys think?

I ordered the max 8, 2250kv with a 20t pinion, heat sink and fan 😊

I thought I’d add a jx ecoboost 36kg servo for good measure.

I can’t wait to let her rip now 🤟🏼

I ordered the max 8, 2250kv with a 20t pinion, heat sink and fan 😊

I thought I’d add a jx ecoboost 36kg servo for good measure.

I can’t wait to let her rip now 🤟🏼
You're going to love it! :cool:(y)

I got my goodies the other day 😊

I’ve just fitted the motor so the loctite is all good for the weekend, my unprofessional observation is that if anyone else who wants to fit a 42mm motor with a heat sink to this rig you have to fit a minimum of a 20t pinion to give you enough prop shaft clearance. It’s pretty tight.

All good though 😊

IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_8492.jpeg

It's going to rip....

I run mind on 2 with 4s. It will pick the front wheels up at any speed.

Back