Motor brace needed with 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a more fleshed out concept of the support-brace that's in my mind..
With the specifications you stated (3mm) >

View attachment 208970

The vents should allow for adequate cooling.

View attachment 208971
included are the recessed areas (1mm thickness) to accommodate standard servo tape ,per your request.

The design and arrangement of the hex cutouts WILL acts like mini suspension points at the bottom of the 4074 motor also..

Give me some of your feedback & criticisms.
Much appreciate it.
Keeping the motor support vented is probably essential IMHO. We want the Motor can exposed to air for cooling. The Motor itself is a Heat sink. Should be exposed to air flow all around, as best as possible. This design is vented at least to some extent.
I would reduce its length, keeping more air flow to the motor's bare Can.

Keeping the motor support vented is probably essential IMHO. We want the Motor can exposed to air for cooling. The Motor itself is a Heat sink. Should be exposed to air flow all around, as best as possible. This design is vented at least to some extent.

Once the design is finalized..
I could have it milled out of aluminum (to become a heatsink itself) ,IF there's enough interest.

I would reduce its length, keeping more air flow to the motor's bare Can.

It has been done.
The original was 70mm (Too Long ,she said)

New design is chopped down to 60mm (just right..)

Found this thread because I'm planning on running a HW 4985 1650KV motor in my Kraton V5 and was curious if some kind of motor support was needed and did a search. Glad I did...loving the work in here thus far.

Just some thoughts related to this because I have been tossing ideas around in my head lately related to motor bracing and cooling. Was thinking about incorporating both motor support and active cooling (fans) into the same part. I was envisioning a clamshell type design with a top and bottom portion. The bottom portion would provide the motor support to the chassis (much like the amazing piece that @Tex Koder has designed thus far), and the top portion would have mounts for a fan or dual fans. The top and bottom portions would be held together with screws, but this idea would require some kind of ducting designed into it around the motors cooling fins to direct airflow from the fans downward across the fins to some exhaust point towards the bottom. Does that make sense?

Looking at Tex's design thus far, it looks like it would be easily adaptable to adding an upper part that screws into the flat tops on both sides of the support brace, and incorporates the fan mounts. I dunno...Just spitballing ideas here, and maybe this would be totally overkill. I dunno...but loving what i'm seeing in here up to this point. Keep up the amazing work, Gentlemen!

The original was 70mm (Too Long ,she said)

New design is chopped down to 60mm (just right..)
Is there a need for it to be 60mm? Why not much shorter? 20mm for example.

It really only needs to support the end of the can if I'm understanding properly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back