Motor brace needed with 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can zip ties take the heat a motor generates? I was thinking maybe a zip tie slot or two could be integrated into the design To secure the motor to the brace…
If you run your motor up to 200F+, :rolleyes:, the zip ties may stretch some and loosen a bit, losing some tension. Been there. But any good quality name brand commercial grade large/wide Nylon Zip Tie's are fine.(y)
I don't think we run our motors that hot. Or at least avoid it at all costs.

I don't own a Notorious.. yet.

But looking at some pics online, it seem the (Passenger) sideguard may get in the way of this motor support-brace.
Is there a "lip" to those sideguard next to the motor that I should be worry about? Or is it flush to the metal chassis??

If you run your motor up to 200F+, :rolleyes:, the zip ties may stretch some and loosen a bit, losing some tension. Been there. But any good quality name brand commercial grade large/wide Nylon Zip Tie's are fine.(y)
I don't think we run our motors that hot. Or at least avoid it at all costs.
But…I thought 250F was okay? No? All right ☹️

But looking at some pics online, it seem the (Passenger) sideguard may get in the way of this motor support-brace.
Is there a "lip" to those sideguard next to the motor that I should be worry about? Or is it flush to the metal chassis??

Hmmm… I won’t know till I get back home. Today was early release so I made sure to be there to pick the kid up,took her to Main Event (crazy game fun kids place) and then we’ve got a swimming lesson and a tumbling lesson. Except I forgot her swim suit so my wife is all irritated and decided to express it…and since she expressed it so, I think we will go home and let her deal with it. At that point I’ll look at the chassis closer. Yup, Passive aggression at its finest 🙄

Last edited:
Fantastic! After a couple of beers she will be beautiful so no worries 😍
Dude… I just wanted to let you know that the thing you made is beautiful now 🤪
(Yep, I came home everybody left and there’s beer in the fridge).

Okay, Yes it does kick up on the sides of the chassis. By the motor it’s evident right at the motor mount. The second picture is the old chassis laying flat. Tell me how you need me to measure the angle because I am not exactly sure how to do that.

A9452D40-C253-45B2-BAEE-D688C3407432.jpeg

9917BC92-A4F0-46C0-9719-C72195469D93.jpeg

Okay, Yes it does kick up on the sides of the chassis. By the motor it’s evident right at the motor mount. The second picture is the old chassis laying flat. Tell me how you need me to measure the angle because I am not exactly sure how to do that.

View attachment 209406

View attachment 209407

Don't sweat it..
Thank you for the photo!

As long as you can give me a clean photo.. I'm able to extract the necessary dimensions/angles from the shot. 👍

6S Chassis Edge Angle.jpg

I'm eyeballing 12° pitch.

I'll make the necessary adjustments to the support-brace ,so it can fit around that edge.

Don't sweat it..
Thank you for the photo!

As long as you can give me a clean photo.. I'm able to extract the necessary dimensions/angles from the shot. 👍

View attachment 209411

I'm eyeballing 12° pitch.

I'll make the necessary adjustments to the support-brace ,so it can fit around that edge.
Is the 12 degree pitch you’re speaking of be the same thing as 12° climb on a mountain bike? 1’ elevation for every 12’ basically? Of course it’s on a different scale but this is how I understand things. Probably completely off but got to start somewhere…
If you need more photos just let me know I’ll do my absolute best. I’ll happily send you you the old chassis, it’s in fine condition. I just couldn’t resist getting a new chassis for eight bucks through Jenny’s since I was ordering other stuff anyway. Let me know what you need man.

This looks super promising! You taking orders once you got the chassis angle sorted? I'd even take it like that. Nothing a couple passes with 60 grit can't fix since it's just plastic if the angle is off.

This looks super promising!

Thank you ,sir.
I'm trying very hard to make sure the design meets or exceeds the required functionality.

You taking orders once you got the chassis angle sorted? I'd even take it like that. Nothing a couple passes with 60 grit can't fix since it's just plastic if the angle is off.

Any patronage would be greatly appreciated.
That would certainly help offset some of the initial costs in equipment, materials and time.
I probably should give some thought to a tiered support scale of some sort... maybe.

Lots of cool ideas, and certainly preventative measures can offer insurance. But back to OP question, is it necessary? For folks here on the forum who have run their 6s trucks with no brace on the motor, have you had any long term issues with heavy bashing? What was your motor size? Motor damage from chassis impact? Bent motor mount?

In my mind, there are two extremes:
-If you were able to run a 3650 size motor on say a Kraton EXB, would I expect the motor mount to bend or the motor to hit the chassis? Likely no.
-If you run a 1520 kv TP 4070 motor (essentially a 40x107 motor), would i expect contact with the chassis? Probably, yes.

Somewhere between the two is a motor size that's right on the limit for what will withstand reasonably heavy bashing without breaking the mount or motor. I'm curious what that limit is, and I feel like we have enough of a sample size of people on the forum to deduce that.

Will depend on the size pinion. Larger pinions will extend the motor outboard more and might hit that sideguard at some point. You could always notch out the side guard as needed. Your call.

Will depend on the size pinion. Larger pinions will extend the motor outboard more and might hit that sideguard at some point. You could always notch out the side guard as needed. Your call.

I've notched out the side guard on my Notorious to fit the end of a 4092 motor in it. It's soft stuff and you can cut it with tin snips easily.

Will depend on the size pinion. Larger pinions will extend the motor outboard more and might hit that sideguard at some point.

Okay, good to know.

You could always notch out the side guard as needed. Your call.

True.
I'm the type that tries to avoid cutting/drilling into the original components/chassis as much as possible ,especially if I can design around it.

Okay, good to know.

True.
I'm the type that tries to avoid cutting/drilling into the original chassis as much as possible ,especially if I can design around it.
It's not the chassis at all, just the plastic side guards that screw into it. You can get side guards and a bunch of other bits on JennysRC for a great price if so that you have a stock one around if you like. I bought the Outcast/Notorious side guards and put them on my son's KEXB since we run in snow and mess sometimes.

It's not the chassis at all, just the plastic side guards that screw into it. You can get side guards and a bunch of other bits on JennysRC for a great price if so that you have a stock one around if you like. I bought the Outcast/Notorious side guards and put them on my son's KEXB since we run in snow and mess sometimes.

Understood.
I just meant in general.. "the idea of cutting into oem parts"...
Not saying that I don't.

Since I'm already putting in the effort & time to create this custom widget from scratch.. I like to make it look 'integrated' as seamlessly as possible.
Just to give it that "drop-in from the Factory feel"...

Understood.
I just meant in general.. "the idea of cutting into oem parts"...
Not saying that I don't.

Since I'm already putting in the effort & time to create this custom widget from scratch.. I like to make it look 'integrated' as seamlessly as possible.
Just to give it that "drop-in from the Factory feel"...
I was able to fit a 4082 in just fine but the 4092 is huge and super long. Your motor brace won't need to be that long so hopefully it won't be an issue. I have a V4 Notorious and a Kraton EXB here if you want/need any measurements. I have 4082 and 4092 motors on hand. And shorter. How far from the side of the motor does the mount protrude? If at all?

I was able to fit a 4082 in just fine but the 4092 is huge and super long. Your motor brace won't need to be that long so hopefully it won't be an issue. I have a V4 Notorious and a Kraton EXB here if you want/need any measurements. I have 4082 and 4092 motors on hand. And shorter. How far from the side of the motor does the mount protrude? If at all?

Thank you sir.
I'll definitely reach out if I need your references on those parts.

Good question ,I will get a measure on that a little later.

Currently stuck on another 'small' project regarding the stock shocks..... ;)

So as the current brace design sits.. it protrudes 5mm out from the edge of the motor on either side.

I'm going to trim off that much from one side and print another prototype out in the morning..
Will post results tomorrow.

Okay, sorry for the delay..
Been a tad busy on my end ,so I went ahead and completely redesigned the brace from the ground up.
It's got the honeycomb cutouts still (just bigger) and I included the relief space for the chassis edge AND a "nub space" to accommodate the screw that's right there beside the motor on the outer edge-mudguard (if you are to install one.)

6S Motor Support-Brace v2.0_Perspective-3D Preview.jpg

6S Motor Support-Brace v2.0_BottomView-3D Preview.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back