Maxx 6s? Or leave it alone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: Just ran the truck on 6s and speed gearing, and it's wicked fast but cogs like crazy at low speed. I'm thinking it's one or more of the following:

1) My battery connectors look like Ray Charles soldered them with his feet

2) Geared too high

3) Traxxas ESC is not sensored and not very good according to some

#2 is likely your problem but you should really fix #1 before it becomes a problem.
Yeah, I already ordered new batteries (with connectors already attached). I suck at soldering (especially Traxxas connectors). My 30w little iron doesn't help either.

#2 is likely your problem but you should really fix #1 before it becomes a problem.
I concur..could say I told ya so(start with stock gearing), but that would be douchy🤣🤣
Yeah, I already ordered new batteries (with connectors already attached). I suck at soldering (especially Traxxas connectors). My 30w little iron doesn't help either.
It's not the size of ur tool,but how you use it that matters 😎

Yeah, I geared down the pinion to 24 (from 26) and the cogging is better. I have a 50t on the way to make it fully stock gearing (ordered metal one), hopefully that'll take care of it.

This thing is insane on 6s and pretty much unusable. Even rolling at 35mph it just backflips if you give it throttle. It's fun though

Yeah, I geared down the pinion to 24 (from 26) and the cogging is better. I have a 50t on the way to make it fully stock gearing (ordered metal one), hopefully that'll take care of it.

This thing is insane on 6s and pretty much unusable. Even rolling at 35mph it just backflips if you give it throttle. It's fun though
Sweet man! Glad to hear👍 Might even drop a tooth or two below stock on the pinion if there's enough adjustment? Now you'll have to learn better throttle control🤣 I'll pray for your diffs to hold up🤣🤣
It's a vicious cycle😁🤣😎

Last edited:
In this case it totally is the size that counts. You need a much higher amp soldering iron for those big copper battery wires.
I did end up buying an 80w. It's a cheapie, but can't be much worse than what I have.

I can't wait for that 50t to come in; even on 4s I get ridiculous cogging. It's so annoying! I may go even lower, but I don't want so much torque that it does triple backflips with the slightest tap of the throttle. Probably should've left it stock lol. I can't go past 45 because the front lifts way up, tires become pizza cutters, and the slightest bump makes it go airborne. Leaving it stock wouldn't be fun though lol.

In this case it totally is the size that counts. You need a much higher amp soldering iron for those big copper battery wires.
I disagree,I solder 10ga wire with a 40 watt weller with no issues. I won't argue that a higher watt can make life easier, but I'm satisfied with the $20 weller.

Still cogging with stock 24/50 gearing 😭

Am I just gonna have to learn to live with this? Or should I gear higher (eg. 20/50)?

Do you have enough adjustment left? I think I would try a smaller pinion,cogging isn't good for the motor I don't think.
I'm wondering if I should just go sensored motor and esc. Is the vxl6 sensored capable?.

I disagree,I solder 10ga wire with a 40 watt weller with no issues. I won't argue that a higher watt can make life easier, but I'm satisfied with the $20 weller.
I tried a lower amp iron and The copper wire would transfer heat so fast I couldn’t get it to work well enough. On advice from here I got a better iron, a Weller with LED light built in and a nice wedge tip. It wasn’t expensive. It works much better.
I did end up buying an 80w. It's a cheapie, but can't be much worse than what I have.

I can't wait for that 50t to come in; even on 4s I get ridiculous cogging. It's so annoying! I may go even lower, but I don't want so much torque that it does triple backflips with the slightest tap of the throttle. Probably should've left it stock lol. I can't go past 45 because the front lifts way up, tires become pizza cutters, and the slightest bump makes it go airborne. Leaving it stock wouldn't be fun though lol.

Thicker diff oil will help with diffing out, and if you are over powered you can turn down the punch setting on your ESC, but I would deal with this with driving skills. I will always take more power and it carefully over less power. There is a point where more top speed isn’t helpful, but more torque is just a lot of fun.

I'm wondering if I should just go sensored motor and esc. Is the vxl6 sensored capable?.
I don't think the vxl6s is capable of running sensored. Don't quote me,not sure,but I don't recall TRX having a sensored set up on anything. I really suggest a smaller pinion if there's enough adjustment. Keep in mind how many more rpm the motor is spinning on 6 vs 4s..the truck will still be considerably faster with a 20 or 22t pinion on 6s than 4s with speed gearing.
I tried a lower amp iron and The copper wire would transfer heat so fast I couldn’t get it to work well enough. On advice from here I got a better iron, a Weller with LED light built in and a nice wedge tip. It wasn’t expensive. It works much better.
I had a similar experience..had a big ol 180watt pistol type weller and just was working for me. Bought what sounds like the same as you mention. Has little leds,chisel tip..amazing how much easier it is to use. Hell, I switched everything from deans to xt90 in a couple hours! 5 charger leads,9 rigs(all w/dual plugs) and about 20 batteries.

Last edited:
I really suggest a smaller pinion if there's enough adjustment. Keep in mind how many more rpm the motor is spinning on 6 vs 4s..the truck will still be considerably faster with a 20 or 22t pinion on 6s than 4s with speed gearing.
I thought about picking up a 20t today, but then when I run on 4s, won't it be really slow? I guess I could just run on 6s at all times

Still cogging with stock 24/50 gearing 😭

Am I just gonna have to learn to live with this? Or should I gear higher (eg. 20/50)?
For me, the stock motor mount, esc and gear cover are GARBAGE. I run my Maxx V2 with GPM gear cover, GPM motor mount, 26/46 gearing and Max 8 ESC. No cogging. Your stock Maxx ESC is a pile of trash IMHO. Try a Max 8 ESC with the stock gearing and you should be golden. Mine does hit thermal with that crazy gearing if I push it non stop, but on stock gearing, it works 100% no problem! Just make sure to adjust your LVC to manual mode. Are you using the stock ESC or a Traxxas esc? Even the Xmaxx ESC sucked on the Maxx. I tried it. Cogging, no punch etc. even with stock gearing and on 4s 🤷

I thought about picking up a 20t today, but then when I run on 4s, won't it be really slow? I guess I could just run on 6s at all times
Good point, yes, 4s will be slower than stock with a 20t pinion for sure. Was thinking you'd be sticking with 6, but yeah, it won't be easy as switching back and forth between 4 and 6s without "penalties "..

Good point, yes, 4s will be slower than stock with a 20t pinion for sure. Was thinking you'd be sticking with 6, but yeah, it won't be easy as switching back and forth between 4 and 6s without "penalties "..
No need for 6s. Just better gearing and a real ESC 😂
I've had too many issues with Traxxas electronics, in my opinion they are way overpriced for what you get. But you can get what you want, it's your money.
All their ESCS SUCK. They stutter, have no punch and they eventually fry themselves.

For me, the stock motor mount, esc and gear cover are GARBAGE. I run my Maxx V2 with GPM gear cover, GPM motor mount, 26/46 gearing and Max 8 ESC. No cogging. Your stock Maxx ESC is a pile of trash IMHO. Try a Max 8 ESC with the stock gearing and you should be golden. Mine does hit thermal with that crazy gearing if I push it non stop, but on stock gearing, it works 100% no problem! Just make sure to adjust your LVC to manual mode. Are you using the stock ESC or a Traxxas esc? Even the Xmaxx ESC sucked on the Maxx. I tried it. Cogging, no punch etc. even with stock gearing and on 4s 🤷
This might be the OP best option. Not sure why LVC needs to be changed tho?
I would just look for an rtr 150esc from JRC or elsewhere myself. Looks like the max8 is going for about $130. Should be able to find a WP-8bl150 for under $100.
No need for 6s. Just better gearing and a real ESC 😂

All their ESCS SUCK. They stutter, have no punch and they eventually fry themselves.
I'm still milking the stock esc in my Xmaxx. I see jrc has the Spektrum 8s for $154. Not bad but I'll go max6 before Spektrum for same price give or take..

Last edited:
I do have a spare BLX185 laying around. Max8 seems like a good option though. I'm just using a take off VXL-6 from a UDR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back