Maxx 6s? Or leave it alone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait the Xmaxx doesn't come with the Bluetooth module? Is the Revo 3.3 really the only Traxxas vehicle that comes fully telemetry equipped out of the box?
No sir. I like my Xmaxx, don't get me wrong. It's a blast, but TRX does not include the bt module with the truck..I was utterly disgusted to find that they don't even include the HD arms! I mean really!? They literally sell for $2 more than the standard arms. My question is why does the standard arm even exist? Uh yeah, I want to buy the biggest, baddest truck you have..but WITHOUT the HD suspension🤪🤪 FU TRX!!

No sir. I like my Xmaxx, don't get me wrong. It's a blast, but TRX does not include the bt module with the truck..I was utterly disgusted to find that they don't even include the HD arms! I mean really!? They literally sell for $2 more than the standard arms. My question is why does the standard arm even exist? Uh yeah, I want to buy the biggest, baddest truck you have..but WITHOUT the HD suspension🤪🤪 FU TRX!!
I've heard Arrma does the same thing, even the 8s EXB doesn't have all of the EXB option parts on it apparently. I've seen someone mention this in a few different threads but for the life of me I cannot remember who it was.

I've heard Arrma does the same thing, even the 8s EXB doesn't have all of the EXB option parts on it apparently. I've seen someone mention this in a few different threads but for the life of me I cannot remember who it was.
Yeah, that's cheesy.. I just don't understand for the life of me why TRX is still shipping the Xmaxx with the standard arms. The HD arms have been available from Amain for nearly 2 years now so TRX can't say they're just clearing out old stock first? IDK,but I just find it repulsive.

Yeah, that's cheesy.. I just don't understand for the life of me why TRX is still shipping the Xmaxx with the standard arms. The HD arms have been available from Amain for nearly 2 years now so TRX can't say they're just clearing out old stock first? IDK,but I just find it repulsive.
Hustling Pay Day GIF

They gotta make that paper son.

Lol, I love getting nickel and dimed to death. I got my BT module free with my used Xmaxx, and I really do like it. Maybe just because I'm a noob, but it's nice having a fancy app with telemetry and stuff. I like being able to make adjustments through the app as well.

Pissed me off though when I find out I couldn't tighten my wheels (on my Maxx4s) without a special "Traxxas 17mm splined wrench." Took me all day to track one down locally and go get it.

Lol, I love getting nickel and dimed to death. I got my BT module free with my used Xmaxx, and I really do like it. Maybe just because I'm a noob, but it's nice having a fancy app with telemetry and stuff. I like being able to make adjustments through the app as well.

Pissed me off though when I find out I couldn't tighten my wheels (on my Maxx4s) without a special "Traxxas 17mm splined wrench." Took me all day to track one down locally and go get it.
Wait..what are you saying? Does the maxx use different wheel nuts than the Xmaxx? IDK if it does but, I use a standard 6 point 17mm socket to remove or install the Xmaxx wheel nuts?
Oh..yes it does..nevermind 🤔
Those limey bastards🤨🤑🤮

Go look up the optional parts for a “Full Option” Kraton 8s EXB Roller and then come back and complain that Traxxas doesn’t include a silly little Bluetooth module.

Go look up the optional parts for a “Full Option” Kraton 8s EXB Roller and then come back and complain that Traxxas doesn’t include a silly little Bluetooth module.
I'll take your word for it. Corporate greed is responsible no doubt.. thanks HH, TRX🤮🤑
For the record, I couldn't care less aboot the module.

I know..🤮
I hate em, and yet I own 3 of their rigs🤪🤮
Funny part is I will spend countless hours trying to either make another brand part fit, or make my own before buying TRX parts for my rigs🤣🤣

The old models like the Slash, Stampede, Rustler, E/T-Maxx, E-Revo V-1 ect you can literally make them using nothing but aftermarket parts.

The old models like the Slash, Stampede, Rustler, E/T-Maxx, E-Revo V-1 ect you can literally make them using nothing but aftermarket parts.
I guess I'd have to say I have a love/hate relationship with TRX..they have some of the best engineering in the biz, best parts support as well since they tend to make their models forever. Which makes them desirable for aftermarket companies to get behind also..
Damn you @slick2500 ! Why'd you have to go and remind me of the bright side of TRX!?🤣🤣

Just to be sure my rudimentary understanding of gearing is correct:

On 4s:

26/46 = high top speed, lower acceleration and torque, higher motor temp

24/50 (stock) = lower top speed, higher acceleration and torque, lower motor temp

On 6s:

26/46 = too much high speed, even higher motor temp?

24/50 = too much acceleration and torque (backflips), but easier on motor?

It seems like the lower I gear it, the easier it would be on the motor but it might have too much acceleration and torque to the point it is unusable unless I am super easy on the throttle.

If I gear it higher, I will have more top end than I know what to do with, and maybe the torque acceleration won't be excessive, but it might be hard on the motor

For some reason with my castle set up on factory gearing, it gets hotter running on 4s than it does running 6s. I need to do some more experimenting with it this summer to try and find a happy medium, I’m half ways tempted to pull the Castle motor and reinstall a factory unit in it’s place.

For some reason with my castle set up on factory gearing, it gets hotter running on 4s than it does running 6s. I need to do some more experimenting with it this summer to try and find a happy medium, I’m half ways tempted to pull the Castle motor and reinstall a factory unit in it’s place.
I have experienced that as well. Not sure what rig or electronics I was using, but definitely ran cooler on 6 than 4s. It's actually quite complex to calculate what gearing, cell count,ect will be best since motor efficiency, wind type, vehicle weight,drag ,gearing and so on can all play a part.
As to running a stock maxx on 6s, the esc obviously needs to be able to support 6s so stock isn't going to work. The motor, while not rated for 6s, people claim it can take it. I'm not saying it from experience.
Going from 4 to 6 cell even with stock gears is going to add a significant increase in top speed due to the increased rpm the motor will turn.
I guess I could summarize like this. If a stock maxx achieves 40mph on 4s. In theory, going to 6s with same gearing should go 60mph since 6s is a 50 percent increase over 4s. That doesn't account for increased wind resistance so we may not achieve the full 60mph but something in that neighborhood.

Last edited:
It sounds lame, but I like the Traxxas app for speed and temp monitoring. What don't you like about the VXL6? Reliability? I like my VXL4 so far.
Seems you are already invested in the Traxxass App and all that with your Maxxx. You answered your own question I think.:unsure:
Your call. If the Fluff really matters. FWIW, Speed readings with RPM calculated data is known to not be that accurate. Tire rollout varies with speed and tire rotation. GPS speed analyzer is way better if you want to know your speeds.
@pug is correct IMHO.:cool:

Remember that 6S batteries are going to be heavier so the extra power has more weight it has to move. More weight = more forces to break things. I am going the other way on my rigs, lighter instead of more power and weight. Lighter parts is a win all the way around, but I don’t have a Maxx so I don’t know how much weight savings are available. A 6S Arrma has many places to save weight - search up BasherQueen on eBay she has great carbon sets.

Remember that 6S batteries are going to be heavier so the extra power has more weight it has to move. More weight = more forces to break things. I am going the other way on my rigs, lighter instead of more power and weight. Lighter parts is a win all the way around, but I don’t have a Maxx so I don’t know how much weight savings are available. A 6S Arrma has many places to save weight - search up BasherQueen on eBay she has great carbon sets.
☝️many variables
I'd say TRX didn't leave much on the table for weight savings based on what I see with my Xmaxx.

Incorrect gearing is your problem.

I must admit that I couldn't tell anyone how fast ANY of my rigs go..just not a concern to me.
Most upgrades I've seen for the maxx trucks seem to be more robust than stock, as I said earlier, TRX doesn't seem to "overbuild" anything..just the opposite IMO.
Calculating speed is definitely a science, guess who isn't a scientist 🤣🍻

Incorrect gearing is your problem.

Well no poop, the point I’m trying to make, with the factory electronics and gearing on 4s, it ran fine. With the castle electronics and stock gearing, it runs hotter on 4s than 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back