Maxx 6s? Or leave it alone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yazman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
I'm think about just throwing a vxl-6 into my Maxx to make it 6s. Probably will run mostly 4s (parks, grass, snow), but there's a big grassy hill where I could use a little more throttle once in awhile. It'll be around $175 esc + batteries. Some say 6s is too much and useless, some love it apparently.

Anyone have experience with 6s Maxx? What do y'all think?

I wouldn't get a VXL-6s, get a Firma 150 from JennysRC or get a Hobbywing Max 8.
It sounds lame, but I like the Traxxas app for speed and temp monitoring. What don't you like about the VXL6? Reliability? I like my VXL4 so far.

I've had too many issues with Traxxas electronics, in my opinion they are way overpriced for what you get. But you can get what you want, it's your money.

I've had too many issues with Traxxas electronics, in my opinion they are way overpriced for what you get. But you can get what you want, it's your money.
I agree with overpriced for sure. I'm a newb, so I'm blissfully unaware of any reliability problems that may come down the road.

As far as practicality, is 6s just a waste of money on the Maxx? That little extra boost 5% of the time is tempting, but I don't know if it's worth $175.

I have a 6s castle combo in my Maxx. Pretty much just crazy unusable power, but man it is fun. All of my stock electronics were still good when I made the change. In hindsight I wish I would have just left it alone until a problem arose and spent the money on something else. It’s fun, but the Maxx is already a pretty fun truck without being over powered.

I would do it, that way you will have more then you will ever need in the power department, and you can always limit it on the remote.

I would do it, that way you will have more then you will ever need in the power department, and you can always limit it on the remote.
True. One thing I don't like about the TQi remotes is that there isn't a 50/75/100 switch. I find that switch on my Noto super useful. I think I can change the power settings in the Traxxas app maybe? I know the ESC itself has a "training mode" where it's 50% power, but I'd like to be able to change it on the fly. I'm reluctant to go non-Traxxas with anything, since I'll lose the app though.

For 6s setup (can still be run at 4s) I would go at JennyRC and go for the Hobao 150a esc and the Hoboa 2000kv motor, both for around USD 130. You won’t have the speed and temp function though.
+1 for the Hobao 150 esc. Got one from JRC for around $75. Currently feeding a 2200kv Tenshock in my mexb, no complaints.
The OP didn't mention changing motors.. I see TP parts xtreme running the maxx motor on 6s. He claims 50+ packs with no issues! I see he has some stout fans on everything tho..

I'm think about just throwing a vxl-6 into my Maxx to make it 6s. Probably will run mostly 4s (parks, grass, snow), but there's a big grassy hill where I could use a little more throttle once in awhile. It'll be around $175 esc + batteries. Some say 6s is too much and useless, some love it apparently.

Anyone have experience with 6s Maxx? What do y'all think?
Way too much for such a small truck. Even for the longer V2. Not worth it. Uncontrollable. I do admit that I have a blast with my Kaiju on 6s, which is smaller and narrower than the Maxx V2, but it's pretty much uncontrollable too 🤣. What I did was to run a Max 8 ESC and the 46T spur gear with a bigger pinion. It's very fast (my V2 Maxx) even on 4s. 58MPH on concrete on 6s (yes I tried it) . Probably around 50mph on grass. On 4s it's about 4MPH slower if I remember right. But it's still very fast. It does get hot though and the Max 8 hits thermal if I drive it non stop, which I usually don't. I would try a Max 8 and bigger gearing. For me, even the bigger Traxxas ESCS suck since they have no punch. I've tried them on my V2 Maxx. They were anemic.

Maybe I'll just gear it a bit more for top speed and call it a day.

24/46 for general (light) bashing? Or is that gonna overheat?

True. One thing I don't like about the TQi remotes is that there isn't a 50/75/100 switch. I find that switch on my Noto super useful. I think I can change the power settings in the Traxxas app maybe? I know the ESC itself has a "training mode" where it's 50% power, but I'd like to be able to change it on the fly. I'm reluctant to go non-Traxxas with anything, since I'll lose the app though.
With the Traxxas Telemetry the sensors are separate from the ESC, you can change to any esc you want and all of the telemetry will still work because it all plugs into the receiver. You will have to adapt the voltage sensor to the new esc however but as long as you know how to solder it is a quick and easy job. This is one reason that I like the Traxxas system over the Spektrum. The Traxxas system will work with any car battery, esc and motor you want, except for the speed sensor if you run the TQi remote on a non Traxxas car you will have to use the GPS module instead of the wire sensor and there is nowhere to put the trigger and magnet for the spur. The Spektrum SMART system you have to use their radio, their esc and their batteries.

You can limit power through the app just click the button that says training mode.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input!

I found a screaming deal on a VXL-6 for $76 brand new and took the plunge. My next question is:

What should I gear this thing at (bashing, grass, snow)? I'm at speed gearing right now (26/46). Back to stock? Or even lower?

I appreciate everyone's input!

I found a screaming deal on a VXL-6 for $76 brand new and took the plunge. My next question is:

What should I gear this thing at (bashing, grass, snow)? I'm at speed gearing right now (26/46). Back to stock? Or even lower?
Are you going to run 6s on stock motor? If so, I would suggest going back to stock and start with that. Keep a close eye on motor temps. You should also put a strong fan setup on the motor if you don't have one already. Motor is gonna make some heat on 6s I think. Good luck 👍

Going from 4 to 6s is going to be a substantial increase in rpms...about 17760 more. Do you have a temp gun? Harbor freight has them relatively cheap. I wouldn't recommend running 6s on the stock motor without one. Need to know what the motor temp is. There are different recommendations depending on manufacturers..190f is "my" safe limit. Ideally, 160 ish. I've had em to 220f but that's def not safe since I've had them seize up at 205f before..soo be careful. Start with short runs(say 5 minutes or less) until you're sure where it's running temps wise.

Going from 4 to 6s is going to be a substantial increase in rpms...about 17760 more. Do you have a temp gun? Harbor freight has them relatively cheap. I wouldn't recommend running 6s on the stock motor without one. Need to know what the motor temp is. There are different recommendations depending on manufacturers..190f is "my" safe limit. Ideally, 160 ish. I've had em to 220f but that's def not safe since I've had them seize up at 205f before..soo be careful. Start with short runs(say 5 minutes or less) until you're sure where it's running temps wise.
That's a good idea; I will have to hit up the Hobo Freight to get one. I have temp in my Traxxas app, but I'm guessing that's the ESC and not the motor? Either way, I'll take any excuse to go shopping at HF!

That's a good idea; I will have to hit up the Hobo Freight to get one. I have temp in my Traxxas app, but I'm guessing that's the ESC and not the motor? Either way, I'll take any excuse to go shopping at HF!
HaHa! I didn't think about the TRX telemetry 🤪 No reason you can't use it, I just forgot it even exists. I have 2 TRX rigs that have it and don't even use it🤔 I'm too cheap to buy the bt module!!🤣🤣

Wait the Xmaxx doesn't come with the Bluetooth module? Is the Revo 3.3 really the only Traxxas vehicle that comes fully telemetry equipped out of the box?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back