LiPo Testing And The Spreadsheet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Mojave EXB
For the last year and a half Ive been testing LiPos using testing equipment in order to be able to run repeatable identical tests and capturing the data using a data logger. Ive compiled the results in an excel spread sheet so the results can be filtered for comparisons. Im still continuing my work so this is just the beginning but Ive already tested well over 50 different LiPos. If this is something that interests you you can check out my work HERE. I explain all of whys, hows, and details of what Im doing. Please keep the comments and questions constructive. Thanks
:)

It feels a bit strange to link to another forum so if thats an issue with anyone then I apologize. Im just trying to share my work without having to post things over and over and try to keep up with it in multiple different forums.

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck...

Hoovo
Goldbat
HRB
Ovonic
Zeee

Best of the best...

Debatable no matter how much testing is done unfortunately.
Because scientific data is debatable? Im pretty sure scientists, engineers, and electronics techs would disagree with you. Only one of those lipos you listed is even middle of the road. There are much better batteries than those for roughly the same money. doesn't matter to me though, At least I know Im buying quality batteries.

Just an excerpt from the spreadsheet. The rest of the batteries you listed fall in to about the same junk category as the Hoovos with the exception of HRB which is only middle of the road.

Capture.JPG

I don't have money to support people, I spent it all on good batteries.
More to the list of best bang for the buck...CNHL.
Fair nuff ;)

Good testing is never cheap. From good study design methodology to acquiring your own test subjects (batteries) to avoid the appearance of bias or manufacturers giving you atypical product to performing multiple tests… I applaud you for putting the time and effort into it. It may be a little lost on bashers who just want to rip around the yard or jump of ramps but hopefully speedrunners and racers will find the data useful.

And this is where it gets wierd.... lol... I keep my own data and disagree with you on bang for buck batteries... Hence why I said its all going to be debatable in the end.

And quoting "scientists, engineers, and electronic techs is great" but are you all those cause your the one doing the testing. I actually am an Engineer Sir.

My testing shows the batteries I listed are among the best bang for the buck. And I know for a fact most people on here will agree.

I will not state the best batteries available I would reference you to someone more experienced then you or I at that.

And this is where it gets wierd.... lol... I keep my own data and disagree with you on bang for buck batteries... Hence why I said its all going to be debatable in the end.

And quoting "scientists, engineers, and electronic techs is great" but are you all those cause your the one doing the testing. I actually am an Engineer Sir.

My testing shows the batteries I listed are among the best bang for the buck. And I know for a fact most people on here will agree.

I will not state the best batteries available I would reference you to someone more experienced then you or I at that.

We wouldn't need to do these tests if the companies that sold us these packs put the real C rate or the real amp output on the battery instead of the current system now where they use a dart board to decide what c rate the pack says.

Hoovoo, Goldbat, HRB, Ovonic and Zee are not the best bang for the buck, even MSC Guy on RCTalk has tested them and they are mediocre performers. They might be decent budget brands at best.

I've talked to Greywolf quite a few times about his testing. Best bang for your buck is SMC, CNHL and Liperior but I cannot remember which series.

We wouldn't need to do these tests if the companies that sold us these packs put the real C rate or the real amp output on the battery instead of the current system now where they use a dart board to decide what c rate the pack says.

Hoovoo, Goldbat, HRB, Ovonic and Zee are not the best bang for the buck, even MSC Guy on RCTalk has tested them and they are mediocre performers. They might be decent budget brands at best.

I've talked to Greywolf quite a few times about his testing. Best bang for your buck is SMC, CNHL and Liperior but I cannot remember which series.
Well now we are really gonna split hairs lolol. Availability and at my door in 2 days free comes into play as well for $ amount i.e. bang for buck.

Well now we are really gonna split hairs lolol. Availability and at my door in 2 days free comes into play as well for $ amount i.e. bang for buck.

Amazon Prime shipping takes longer than shipping from Liperior or CNHL for me. Amazon Prime is AT the very least 1 week out. Going by just what the batteries cost sure they are the best bang for your buck but once you factor in that those brands you listed have a true c rate that is at best 1/2 of the CNHL or Liperior packs that really hurts the bang for your buck factor.

Looks like a week and a half from Amazon for HRBs. The more I "shop" on Amazon the more I think I am getting screwed for paying $15 a month for their Prime service..............

aewwas3r5w3525ed.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen some of the results from @Greywolf74 tests and the results have surprised me a few times. You guys have no idea how many batteries he's tested on his own dime to share the results. For those interested this is a worthy cause, for those not interested, I see no reason to be negative about it.

I've seen some of the results from @Greywolf74 tests and the results have surprised me a few times. You guys have no idea how many batteries he's tested on his own dime to share the results. For those interested this is a worthy cause, for those not interested, I see no reason to be negative about it.
Well said.

I can't take anyone seriously who says zee are the best at anything. Those batteries suck and to this day still the weakest batteries I've ever used.

Oh and slick totally right. Amazon shipping is horrible now and it has been ever since c19

Thanks for your hard work @Greywolf74

Those of you that know me from RCTalk know I've been testing LiPos and compiling the data for about 1.5 years now. I have compiled a list of over 50 different LiPos in a filterable spread sheet. As much as I want to just share it with all of the world, I also want to continue doing testing especially of more expensive competition level batteries. I don't want to continue to keep doing it only on my dime though. To that end I've created a Patreon account. I'm not trying to sell the data per se but I do want to encourage people support the cause which helps the entire community. No one even needs to technically sign up, I'm all to happy to tell people what the best battery or the best bang of the buck batteries are but I'm going to reserve the right to view all of the data in detail (spreadsheet, logs, test sheets etc) to those that help support the cause. I'm sure that once a few people have accessed the spreadsheet youll be able to find it floating around on the internet and I don't mind that, like I said I'm not trying to sell the data per se. All I ask is to consider supporting my work and if you see the spreadsheet floating around out there just remind people to sign up for patreon so we can all help each other out.

I will be doing a monthly lipo giveaway for top tier members (Only $10/mo.) and I hope to including servo testing data in the not to distant future as well. If I get to the stage where I'm also testing servos I'm sure there will end up being a servo giveaway too.

I will also have information available on Patreon on the various testing methods and equipment I've been using as well. Please consider supporting my work and have a wonderful day!

What equipment do you utilize to capture data and do the load test with?
Always been interested in the scientific process for battery testing.

EDIT - I see you answered this already:
"I will also have information available on Patreon on the various testing methods and equipment I've been using as well. Please consider supporting my work and have a wonderful day!"

I really like what you are doing here, but funds are always tight. I wish you the best in your endeavor.

I know top-tier speed runners would love to see a direct comparison of these 2 top heavy weight hitters:

Top dollar - SMC SRD V2s
Top dollar - ONYX RC power systems

Last edited:

The very fact that you think any of those brands are good shows that you haven't done any real testing with actual test equipment in a controlled and repeatable environment. That in turn makes me wonder if you are in fact an engineer. Im assuming by "testing" you mean anecdotally or you are confusing "cheapest" batteries with "best bang for your buck". Best bang for your buck LiPo would be Liperior, CNHL (G+ and Parallel series. The racing series is mediochre), and Zippy Compact are the top contenders for best bang for the buck. SMC is solid but a bit expensive compared to the others. Their SRD LiPo and the Max Amps no prep packs are expensive but some of the best performers Ive tested. unlike the regular Max Amps pack that I tested which turned out to be an overpriced turd. I mean technically its a middle of the road battery but considering its $100 price tag, its a turd.

I freely admit that Im not an engineer, I am an IT manager for the department of defense. I do in fact work in an entire organization that specializes in R&D for the DOD, so while Im just a lowly IT professional I have in fact had my work peer reviewed by some of the electrical engineers that work in the same building I do on top of what I know about electronics from the 25+ years Ive been in IT. In terms of building a database for the purpose of creating a solid platform to be able to objectively compare LiPos I think any real engineer would be hard pressed to dispute my data or the manner in which it is collected. To that end I have not only made the results of the testing available but also the data logs, graphs, test sheets, methodology, and equipment used available in case anyone wants to investigate my data. Im confident enough in not only what Im doing but also how Im doing it to provide full transparency to those interested in what Im doing.

All of that being said, Im only looking for like minded people. I understand that your average basher probably doesn't care about any of this and thats fine. If youre a racer, pilot, or just a mega nerd (like I am) then maybe you'll find this info helpful or just satisfy your nerdy curiosity. If youre not interested in this venture for whatever reason then just move on. Like Doom said, theres no reason to be negative just because your interests lay in different areas from my own.

To all of those that are being and have been supportive of my work over the last 1.5 years I thank you very much. It means a lot to me that my info helps people.

Last edited:
Edited my post above.
I'd love to see some info on a comparison of those 2 packs specifically.

I'd pay $20 to know that info, but not really interested in paying for some monthly deal.

I am mildly interested in how the CNHL G+ and Parallel packs compare also.

Last edited:
The very fact that you think any of those brands are good shows that you haven't done any real testing with actual test equipment in a controlled and repeatable environment. That in turn makes me wonder if you are in fact an engineer. Im assuming by "testing" you mean anecdotally or you are confusing "cheapest" batteries with "best bang for your buck". Best bang for your buck LiPo would be Liperior, CNHL (G+ and Parallel series. The racing series is mediochre), and Zippy Compact are the top contenders for best bang for the buck. SMC is solid but a bit expensive compared to the others. Their SRD LiPo and the Max Amps no prep packs are expensive but some of the best performers Ive tested. unlike the regular Max Amps pack that I tested which turned out to be an overpriced turd. I mean technically its a middle of the road battery but considering its $100 price tag, its a turd.

I freely admit that Im not an engineer, I am an IT manager for the department of defense. I do in fact work in an entire organization that specializes in R&D for the DOD, so while Im just a lowly IT professional I have in fact had my work peer reviewed by some of the electrical engineers that work in the same building I do on top of what I know about electronics from the 25+ years Ive been in IT. In terms of building a database for the purpose of creating a solid platform to be able to objectively compare LiPos I think any real engineer would be hard pressed to dispute my data or the manner in which it is collected. To that end I have not only made the results of the testing available but also the data logs, graphs, test sheets, methodology, and equipment used available in case anyone wants to investigate my data. Im confident enough in not only what Im doing but also how Im doing it to provide full transparency to those interested in what Im doing.

All of that being said, Im only looking for like minded people. I understand that your average basher probably doesn't care about any of this and thats fine. If youre a racer, pilot, or just a mega nerd (like I am) then maybe you'll find this info helpful or just satisfy your nerdy curiosity. If youre not interested in this venture for whatever reason then just move on. Like Doom said, theres no reason to be negative just because your interests lay in different areas from my own.

To all of those that are being and have been supportive of my work over the last 1.5 years I thank you very much. It means a lot to me that my info helps people.
I had no idea Liperior was a decent brand. Their prices are a little too similar to SMC for my liking though, but I guess it's a little cheaper

Just to clear it up a bit lol, I didnt say they were the best, but imo best budget batteries. Not sure where you live dude but that same battery gets to me on the 15th and a Hoovo 5000's get to me on the 14th. Throughout my couple decades messing with lipo's I've had bad and good of all brands so in a car or truck whats the point of spending what the car is worth on a battery lol. I even build and repair packs.

Now lolol, I also never said I don't use good batteries either, Just IMO a car/truck forum isn't really where or when I'd need them. You know when you need them - and its not in any of my arrma's but maybe a few high end peoples speed run cars that have a arrma roller but not stock arrma electonics. Where you need them is in a big Helicopter or Jet lol, the actual pinnacle of RC, end game of rc. Or a drone that weighs almost nothing and pulls 220amps when you do a punch out. I can drain a 5000 in a heli in a couple minutes, you better believe I got pulse's and other brands running in those. Also I do run smc and cnhl in my drones, not heli's. I just don't feel cars and trucks are worth it was my whole point. This data would be more relevant on a forum of high end rc's such as helifreak.

So here I am on a car/truck forum, so im giving my opinion about cars and trucks and the majority of what people do here. And sorry this just isnt a big deal to 90% of people here and they will buy the brands i listed. WHY, because they are cheap, and fast to get and available to by. I think my point was lost here but thats ok. Cars and Trucks are small time RC stuff. The pinnacle of RC will always be Heli's.

Last edited:
Just to clear it up a bit lol, I didnt say they were the best, but imo best budget batteries. Not sure where you live dude but that same battery gets to me on the 15th and a Hoovo 5000's get to me on the 14th. Throughout my couple decades messing with lipo's I've had bad and good of all brands so in a car or truck whats the point of spending what the car is worth on a battery lol. I even build and repair packs.

Now lolol, I also never said I don't use good batteries either, Just IMO a car/truck forum isn't really where or when I'd need them. You know when you need them - and its not in any of my arrma's but maybe a few high end peoples speed run cars that have a arrma roller but not stock arrma electonics. Where you need them is in a big Helicopter or Jet lol, the actual pinnacle of RC, end game of rc. Or a drone that weighs almost nothing and pulls 220amps when you do a punch out. I can drain a 5000 in a heli in a couple minutes, you better believe I got pulse's and other brands running in those. Also I do run smc and cnhl in my drones, not heli's. I just don't feel cars and trucks are worth it was my whole point. This data would be more relevant on a forum of high end rc's such as helifreak.

So here I am on a car/truck forum, so im giving my opinion about cars and trucks and the majority of what people do here. And sorry this just isnt a big deal to 90% of people here and they will buy the brands i listed. WHY, because they are cheap, and fast to get and available to by. I think my point was lost here but thats ok. Cars and Trucks are small time RC stuff. The pinnacle of RC will always be Heli's.

View attachment 262177

View attachment 262178

View attachment 262179

We do have a lot of speed run guys on here and most get maybe 2 passes out of their packs before they are drained, if that says much of anything about the power they are pulling, so an rc car forum is a good place to post this kind of info as the speed run guys are the most likely to use it. Sure it is an extremely small portion of the users here but they are still here.

And for bashing I can assure you that a good pack vs a decent one is a noticeable difference in power. Case in point I had a Turnigy HD 6s 60c 5000mah brick lipo and 2 3s 50c 5500mah Ovonic lipos. When doing jumps the Turnigy could pull off double and triple backflips without batting an eye, the Ovonics could pull off a single but struggled to do doubles, with the Turnigy I could self right with the Ovonics I could not. So yes running better batteries is beneficial to bashers as well. IIRC the Ovonics cost more than the Turnigy but I would have to double check that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back