Damaged Lipo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not entirely sure. I have quite a few lipos myself that have an interesting almost sweet smell to them. None of them are damaged or puffing, and all cell's IR checks out. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this, but if I threw away lipos based on smell, i'd be tossing like half my lipos, both old and new. Something tells me i'm not that unlucky...?

Sketchy, especially if it’s off gassing a sweet odor. It sort of looks like it’s bulged a little toward the end as well.
I think the bulge you're seeing is just the wrapping where the leads come out.

sweet smell from a LiPo means it’s damaged or punctured
i would recommend properly disposing of it - not worth the risk imo
These Zeee lipos have always had a tinge of sweet, but this one is strong.

I'm not entirely sure. I have quite a few lipos myself that have an interesting almost sweet smell to them. None of them are damaged or puffing, and all cell's IR checks out. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this, but if I threw away lipos based on smell, i'd be tossing like half my lipos, both old and new. Something tells me i'm not that unlucky...?
Yeah, better safe than sorry. I got rid of it and replaced it with another, this time I used some of that Momazon Prime bubble wrap bag on the exposed sides 🤣

20240404_124743.jpg

Please take a look and let me know what you think:

I suggest taking it to your local mechanic shop or even a hardware shop and they will dispose of it for free in the proper drum just for batteries..sweet smell .I'd get that out of the house quick..why take a chance.🤷 A new battery is cheaper than a new home and everything in it..and lives have no price

I think the bulge you're seeing is just the wrapping where the leads come out.

These Zeee lipos have always had a tinge of sweet, but this one is strong.

Yeah, better safe than sorry. I got rid of it and replaced it with another, this time I used some of that Momazon Prime bubble wrap bag on the exposed sides 🤣

View attachment 358838
Good choice👍

Never noticed any sweet smell from any of my lipos ever, it looks ok from here, but hard to say as not there in person to examine the pack. Moisture as in leaking from inside the cells is not ok! However that moistuer could be from temperature/humidity difference between inside your house and the outside ambient if you were just outside with the lipo...otherwise not good. Hopefully Zeee gets back to you soon! I store lipos in special bags and then put them inside steel ammo box and that goes in metal file cabinet without any flammables in there with it (in the house, never in garage). Let us know.

I've used hardcase and soft lipos and now usually go with soft and wrap them in 3M automotive faux carbon fiber wrap as an added protection layer. Use a cereal box (or something similar) and draw a pattern, cut out, test fold around the battery, using a ruler to get good straight fold lines and see how it fits, trim pattern until it's a good fit and overlaps at the places where it comes together. Use a damp cloth to wipe the dirt off outside of batteries, make sure they are good and dry, then I fold the self adhesive backed 3M auto wrap (that I cut with the pattern) around the lipo careful not to get any bubbles and you''re good to go.

Last edited:
I suggest taking it to your local mechanic shop or even a hardware shop and they will dispose of it for free in the proper drum just for batteries.
No way, man. Why deprive yourself of the joy of overcharging it one last time and then forking it to watch the inferno? You’re no fun at all with your “safe disposal this” and “take it to a professional “ that… 😂

No way, man. Why deprive yourself of the joy of overcharging it one last time and then forking it to watch the inferno? You’re no fun at all with your “safe disposal this” and “take it to a professional “ that… 😂
Sure sounds like a blast 🤣🤣 but let's get back to reality and think safe 🤔.why take the risk?? I'd hate to see any fellow member here or anywhere loose there home ,or have a injury to a family member or a pet ,one thing I don't fuk with is lipo safety,and no on here should either .👍

Back