Lipo popping sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally, if you have a bad cell you'll see that reflected in the voltage under load. Resting voltage doesn't necessarily give you the whole picture.

I can tell you that you should certainly not hear audible pops coming from a battery!

Also, the discharge function on a lot of chargers is ridiculously slow.
Agreed. I would start with a full charge and give it a run in the truck. I know you said you aren't an Amazon-return type of person. But hey, its there for a reason. If the lipos suck that bad, I would absolutely consider a return. But you cant know that until you give it a go!

Generally, if you have a bad cell you'll see that reflected in the voltage under load. Resting voltage doesn't necessarily give you the whole picture.

I can tell you that you should certainly not hear audible pops coming from a battery!

Also, the discharge function on a lot of chargers is

Agreed. I would start with a full charge and give it a run in the truck. I know you said you aren't an Amazon-return type of person. But hey, its there for a reason. If the lipos suck that bad, I would absolutely consider a return. But you cant know that until you give it a go!
You're right. I will as soon as it stops raining and dries again. I should find a way to sell my E-Maxxes. Buy a better charger down the road, and manage my expectations. I don't have to quit the hobby, but could find a way to downsize and de-clutter to not feel as overwhelmed by it. So, I can't have it all like others. So what? I can enjoy the heck out of what I have, stop worrying, and run the crap out of these things. It's what I got em' for.

New cells rule of thumb, charge, use 'lightly' and repeat 3-5 times before you use them 'normal'.
Initial balancing from the factory can be off, not a bad sign of anything.

I wouldn't touch Hoovoo or Zee with a 10ft pole, just bad experience in stated capacity and reality. You might get lucky , that is just part of zero quality control and use them as they fly of the assembly line. The 'good ones' are 80% or higher of stated capacity. The normal experienced is ~70-80% of stated values.

New cells rule of thumb, charge, use 'lightly' and repeat 3-5 times before you use them 'normal'.
Initial balancing from the factory can be off, not a bad sign of anything.

I wouldn't touch Hoovoo or Zee with a 10ft pole, just bad experience in stated capacity and reality. You might get lucky , that is just part of zero quality control and use them as they fly of the assembly line. The 'good ones' are 80% or higher of stated capacity. The normal experienced is ~70-80% of stated values.
That's what I've been reading about them, yeah. Maybe these will be my last low end batteries. Who knows. But I'm done paying $70 a 3s pack for lowly Lectron Pro ones at the LHS. Like said....a few even laugh at me in there. Sick of feeling like an outcast. A degenerate no one wants around. Not invited in the "big club" as George Carlin put it. Society basically tells me to get lost. Take a hike. Anywhere but here. As far as batteries go, I'll try to acquire a proper charger later this year and look at better batteries. I'd like to try gensacearespammers, but the basher ones I like are all too big and heavy. As it is, these Hoovos are huge at their supposed 6500mah. I'll have to take the support piece out of the tray to run them, and there's no way they'll fit in my E-Maxx lol.

I like those available SMC ones, but wish the wires on thise were 10 gauge.

I don't have to quit the hobby, but could find a way to downsize and de-clutter to not feel as overwhelmed by it. So, I can't have it all like others. So what? I can enjoy the heck out of what I have, stop worrying, and run the crap out of these things. It's what I got em' for.

You can spend a lot of money in this hobby, but you don't need to. It's an accumulation over time anyway ... hell, look at @Dan B. , he's been around so long they're replacing his body parts!

You can spend a lot of money in this hobby, but you don't need to. It's an accumulation over time anyway ... hell, look at @Dan B. , he's been around so long they're replacing his body parts!
😆 I wish him well on that. I mentioned in the thread I'm a cyborg too. Believe it or not, I've been into the hobby off and on since 2000 before my stroke and subsequent hell of brain surgeries and implanted shunt that I can manually pump. So, 24 yrs of the hobby. For years it was brushed motors, nicad, then nimh batteries for my Tamiya Rising Storm DF-02 and E-Maxxes.

Fair statement and helpful. However, I don't need to uh....say....introspect on the whole thing. Sure, I feel ignorant at times, but it's only temporary. My charger is crap. I have tried to say it was perhaps a lesser in terms of features and the LHS got REAL defensive about it, saying they sell the "good stuff." Yeah, I don't know about that. I'd like to look for a nice one that doesn't cost an arm and leg, but have clue what's out there. Doesn't mean I'm asking for more info. Just saying. I feel a bit overwhelmed now. I'm a poor guy, and have just about 'had it' atm.

Trying to get the pack here to balance out. No dice so far. Charger isn't cooperating. Feel anger towards it and the LHS, honestly. A few employees in there laugh at me and whisper in each other's ears when I walk in. I'm not in the societal club (if you will) and it wears on me. In short, people just plain don't like me.

Tinkering with these things (I apparently don't know enough about) is all I have left in this life.

They want $70 a pack for 3s 5200mah Lectron Pro brand lipos in there. F that.
To understand one's own ignorance is a blessing that is often misunderstood in its significance. The capacity to know what we don't know is a crucial component of our ability to make better things over time. If we were less intelligent, the notion that there's something we don't know doesn't even enter the equation, nor would we be able to entertain the concept of hypotheticals so, there's that.

FWIW, after reading this thread, the way you write stands out (to me anyways). You're definitely not from the younger generation as your spelling, grammar, use of punctuation, etc. is impeccable so, perhaps all hope is not lost. ;-)

To be fair, I am being a little droll, though I did mean everything that I said. You appear to be quite the resilient chap. I do sympathize with your frustration, though there's really not much for me to add at this point. I think everything that needed to has been said or suggested and I hope everything sorts itself out.

Godspeed.

Back