Hota S6 400 watts on AC power!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 6 months after starting this post, I'm finally getting an S6 for Xmas!! Woot Woot!! Placed the order today! This is a big step for me in chargers. I've been using 2 unbranded B6 AC knockoffs, a Thunder AC 6 and Duratrax onyx forever..well the B6 knockoffs are maybe 2 years old, but the other 2 are at least 10 years old..
I just got sick of the finishing rates TBH. The B6 chargers are absolutely horrible for balancing! Takes HOURS to finish my CNHL 4s 6200's..
Not no more!! So excited for the S6!!😁😀

How's it been working for you? Was going to pull the trigger on one too. I have a Hota D6+ and am pretty happy with it but it doesn't have enough juice to charge my typical day load out at 1C (or 2C in the field). Figured with one of these and the D6+, that's 700W over 4 channels and can have one 325W and one 210W going at the same time.

It's nice there's so many good chargers out these days, makes it hard to pick though I know there are good options using your own power supply, but honestly I have so many things I have to remember to bring every time, I like the idea of one less piece.

btw, Joshua Bardwell you linked videos from is a great youtuber. I used to fly quads more than cars and he was my #1 go to.

How's it been working for you? Was going to pull the trigger on one too. I have a Hota D6+ and am pretty happy with it but it doesn't have enough juice to charge my typical day load out at 1C (or 2C in the field). Figured with one of these and the D6+, that's 700W over 4 channels and can have one 325W and one 210W going at the same time.

It's nice there's so many good chargers out these days, makes it hard to pick though I know there are good options using your own power supply, but honestly I have so many things I have to remember to bring every time, I like the idea of one less piece.

btw, Joshua Bardwell you linked videos from is a great youtuber. I used to fly quads more than cars and he was my #1 go to.
Currently the owner of 2 D6+, 1 D6 pro, 1 S6, 3 F6, 1 P6 and a Hobbymate D6 lite (same as p6).

S6 is great but money is better spent with a 1500w power supply and a few P6's or the quad F6's. I run the F6, P6 and D6 lite off a 1500w supply from Aliexpress.

Have 2 sealed F6's and a used D6 Pro for sale if anyone is interested, haha. I may have a problem.

Yeah I just don't need quite that much and would rather not deal with an external supply. Especially twin 12V series 24V supplies which you need to hit the high per-channel power levels on a lot of them. I only have a 900W generator so wouldn't be able use the extra anyway.

I was almost going to get a P6 (or ISDT equiv) and a 400W 18v PS for $50 off getfpv. That would be barely over $100 for a close to 400W single channel. But like I said, this is all in one, plus it's 2 channels and has some other gimmicks I won't ever probably use lol. I actually have a 14V 45A power supply from my RV I was even thinking of playing with.

Yeah I just don't need quite that much and would rather not deal with an external supply. Especially twin 12V series 24V supplies which you need to hit the high per-channel power levels on a lot of them. I only have a 900W generator so wouldn't be able use the extra anyway.

I was almost going to get a P6 (or ISDT equiv) and a 400W 18v PS for $50 off getfpv. That would be barely over $100 for a close to 400W single channel. But like I said, this is all in one, plus it's 2 channels and has some other gimmicks I won't ever probably use lol. I actually have a 14V 45A power supply from my RV I was even thinking of playing with.
Paid like $50 something for a 1500w 24v cctv/led light supply. One of those silver generic ones. Has 3 outputs I made xt60 cords and used an old 3 prong I had laying around for ac power. There's all different size ones it was a really good sale when I purchased the one I have. Been over a year no issues.

The S6 has been great thus far, it's early yet, but does work wonders compared to what I'm used to, which was several low powered chargers.
I have to admit I'm not very fond of the wheel/button myself, I find myself changing items when I'm trying to click the wheel down. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
I think if one wants big power the seperate components is surely the way to go. I wanted all inclusive myself. So much power for such a small footprint IMO. Plus easily portable.
If I were selecting an external ps and dc charger, I would really only look at name branded, UL listed ps myself. Alot can go wrong there.. just me. Mean Well has a solid rep and UL listed. If anyone's looking for a Mean Well, Jameco Electronics has some pretty good pricing and selections I thought.🍻

US $5.10 30%OFF | Switching Power Supply DC 5V 12V 24V 36V 48V 60W 360W 600W Light Transformer AC 100-240V Source Adapter SMPS For LED Strips CCTV
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0XBRno

Supply I used. Not worried at all.
Fair enough. Good pricing on those too. IDK where or how you charge your batteries, inside, outside or what. I charge mine in a detached garage, usually, I'm outside bashing with batteries charging in the garage. Perhaps not the safest but, I'm not one to preach safety. My lipo bags are Ryobi tool bags chuck full of all the brand names that make no sense in english from amazon,LOL.
Also, it dawned on me after my previous post about UL listed electronics that none of my stuff carries any UL listed stickers so..🙄🤔😉

I charge inside in a 4 season porch (addition not on the foundation) area where I have all my rc stuff. Usually have 14 batteries or so going at once. Definitely keep a close eye on it. I am crazy when it comes to battery maintenance so not overly worried but it is a risk.

I did email the company before purchasing the supply and they assured me it would be fine but definitively use at your own risk. Runs cool, the fan only kicks on while charging a load of 6s. Never hear it under about 50% load. Like I said before over a year use with no issues I would go that route again. I think I paid $58 on a sale stacking Aliexpress coupons.

I also converted an old atx supply out of an early 2000's pc. Let's me charge 2x6s at close to 5a each before it over loads. That is another cheap option but not the most portable. If you want to really get creative you can turn one into a bench supply with 12v, 5v and 3v rails.

Lots of options... I started with a D6 pro, then a D6+ and it snowballed from there, lol. Aliexpress deals can get you. Got all my chargers cheap enough to be able to resell anyway, lol.

I charge inside in a 4 season porch (addition not on the foundation) area where I have all my rc stuff. Usually have 14 batteries or so going at once. Definitely keep a close eye on it. I am crazy when it comes to battery maintenance so not overly worried but it is a risk.

I did email the company before purchasing the supply and they assured me it would be fine but definitively use at your own risk. Runs cool, the fan only kicks on while charging a load of 6s. Never hear it under about 50% load. Like I said before over a year use with no issues I would go that route again. I think I paid $58 on a sale stacking Aliexpress coupons.
What does your battery maintenance consist of? Just curious.

What does your battery maintenance consist of? Just curious.
I never run them below around 3.7v or 3.4v-3.5v under load and always store at 3.8v or 3.85v for high voltage. Never leave a battery at full for long. I have never left one full over night or below storage. I check IR every time charging and visually inspect after each run. Storage in lipo bags that fit perfectly inside 50cal ammo can. Batteries are split into 4 cans.

I also charge at 80% of 1c. Also it is important to turn off trickle charge on the Hota chargers so it stops when it hits full and doesn't keep trickling like it does on storage/balance. You don't want to keep stuffing more energy on top.

I have also opened batteries and soldered new balance leads directly to the cells. Haven't lost a battery yet.

I never run them below around 3.7v or 3.4v-3.5v under load and always store at 3.8v or 3.85v for high voltage. Never leave a battery at full for long. I have never left one full over night or below storage. I check IR every time charging and visually inspect after each run. Storage in lipo bags that fit perfectly inside 50cal ammo can. Batteries are split into 4 cans.

I also charge at 80% of 1c. Also it is important to turn off trickle charge on the Hota chargers so it stops when it hits full and doesn't keep trickling like it does on storage/balance. You don't want to keep stuffing more energy on top.

I have also opened batteries and soldered new balance leads directly to the cells. Haven't lost a battery yet.
I see. I'll admit, I really don't care about ir or any of that. Why bother, can't change it? I mean, a bad cell is a bad cell,no? Just my opinions of course.
I charge at whatever rate I feel the need, how soon do I need it charged. I believe the charge rates listed on most batteries are just as fictitious as the discharge rates.
So, if you only charge at around 80 percent of the manufacturers suggestions, why do you need so much wattage to have seperate power supplies and dc chargers? I guess maybe you just want to charge everything at once? I'm just trying to understand, no offense intended.✌🍻

Also it is important to turn off trickle charge on the Hota chargers so it stops when it hits full and doesn't keep trickling like it does on storage/balance.
Can you elaborate? I have a Hota charger but have never heard about this.

Can you elaborate? I have a Hota charger but have never heard about this.
I haven't seen any documents saying that these Hotas trickle charge after completing a charge cycle but it will push voltage into the battery to maintain peak charge. My S6 will finish, sound the bell, then start charging again..it seems to be trying to keep all cells right at 4.2v(or whatever it may be set for)..
I don't think there's any reason to be concerned or turn this function off since all the charger is doing is keeping all cells at the specified voltages. I've never seen it go over say 4.25v per cell..even after leaving batteries plugged in for hours..

I see. I'll admit, I really don't care about ir or any of that. Why bother, can't change it? I mean, a bad cell is a bad cell,no? Just my opinions of course.
I charge at whatever rate I feel the need, how soon do I need it charged. I believe the charge rates listed on most batteries are just as fictitious as the discharge rates.
So, if you only charge at around 80 percent of the manufacturers suggestions, why do you need so much wattage to have seperate power supplies and dc chargers? I guess maybe you just want to charge everything at once? I'm just trying to understand, no offense intended.✌🍻
If you have a cell with high ir you know theres an issues and can retire it before you lose it on the charger.

I usually charge 14 or more batteries for a bash day at once to get out the door in under an hour. I run mostly 6s batteries and 3s for fans. (Also run lion in transmitters) Some 9500 mah 6s batteries.1500w supply is used for 3 chargers at once (8× batteries). 150w x 8 (for reference dome more some less) is about the max you would want to pull from a 1500w supply (80% load). I charge at 80% of 1c because some manufacturers lie about capacity. I will adjust accordingly as I get familiar with the batteries. Some I do at 1c (gens-cnhl accurate mah) but most at 80% of 1c. Batteries charged higher will not last as long I don't care if it says 5c max.

Not just Hota. Go in the settings and turn off trick charge. It stops completely when it hits full instead of trickling after complete. Batteries will thank you. All lipo manufacturers state do not trickle charge. These chargers are multi use and trickle is on by default.

Anything else I can help you with.✌🍻
I haven't seen any documents saying that these Hotas trickle charge after completing a charge cycle but it will push voltage into the battery to maintain peak charge. My S6 will finish, sound the bell, then start charging again..it seems to be trying to keep all cells right at 4.2v(or whatever it may be set for)..
I don't think there's any reason to be concerned or turn this function off since all the charger is doing is keeping all cells at the specified voltages. I've never seen it go over say 4.25v per cell..even after leaving batteries plugged in for hours..
Turn it off. Think of a lipo as a bucket of water. You're over filling it. It is not good for the battery. Read the lipo info. All state do not trickle charge.
I have some batteries with over 500 charges that still work very similar to new. I'm speaking from experience. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
How can you even turn that off? I don't remember seeing an option for that. I like my lipo to stay full and not auto discharge while it's sitting though.

How can you even turn that off? I don't remember seeing an option for that. I like my lipo to stay full and not auto discharge while it's sitting though.
It's not discharging but rather maintaining peak voltage in the pack. I think there was something lost in translation from Chinese to English..
Trickle charge without cutoff would surely make zero sense with ANY battery chemistry.
What I see happening with my S6 is the charger maintaining peak voltage..some industries refer to it as "floating" charge as well.
I'm not concerned about it, I'm confident Hota knows what they're doing.

Turn it off. Think of a lipo as a bucket of water. You're over filling it. It is not good for the battery. Read the lipo info. All state do not trickle charge.
I have some batteries with over 500 charges that still work very similar to new. I'm speaking from experience. Take it or leave it.
Alright I just did some quick googling on the topic and it seems to mean something a little different than what you're stating. At least with the information I found.

The trickle charge feature activates when a cell's voltage is low, not once the charging cycle is complete. It is intended to carefully/slowly bring low cells into a safe range before pumping the requested amp rate during the charge process.

I couldn't find anything from Hota though. And I don't know how credible these sources are, so take this as you will.

https://chinahobbyline.com/blogs/news/staged-charging-of-1300mah-22-2v-6s-lipo-battery

https://oscarliang.com/choose-lipo-battery-charger-power-supply/

It's not discharging but rather maintaining peak voltage in the pack. I think there was something lost in translation from Chinese to English..
Trickle charge without cutoff would surely make zero sense with ANY battery chemistry.
What I see happening with my S6 is the charger maintaining peak voltage..some industries refer to it as "floating" charge as well.
I'm not concerned about it, I'm confident Hota knows what they're doing.
I mean when you remove the lipo from charger and it slowly drops voltage over time. I like the fact that leaving it on the charger prevents that. Voltage probably doesn't drop much before I use the pack but it's definitely a mental thing for me 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back