Has any one tryed using substitute oil as a shock oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly where are you getting your Bad RC advice dude?
Bookface or worse???
Stop cheaping out, use silicone shock oils already.
Why would you buy upgrade shocks and skimp on the proper oil?????????????
No. Don't use anyting else.
Start learning more about RC shocks and how they work. They are not there for "Show".
You "have NOT heard anything on Marvel mystery oil". It's a mystery what's in that stuff anyway. It will destroy the silicone shock seals. That won't be a mystery when it does.
Well I have not heard anything about using "water" in shocks also. Does that mean it's ok to do???:ROFLMAO:

>>>>>>>>>>>I would start with 550 cst. Yes. Buy TA Green Slime O -ring grease for the reassembly. Protek Blue O ring grease is great also as another option. They protects the o-rings. And keeps the shocks from leaking the silicone oil.

But if you are against using proper RC oil, KY silicone personal lube will also work. You should have some lying around.

https://www.herbspro.com/collection...bda1411ed806b4ef00a82b832&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

There was some good as well as bad advice in that video.

Try this one. I would follow Adam Drake. All of his shock videos.
Water 🤔

Poor little ole clubin 😭
How long have you been doing Rc?

Why haven’t you learned anything?

When I start a thread it has a purpose, you not so much. Maybe stop for a bit and educate yourself before you blurt out any more useless info. People come here to learn, threads like this are useless.

This is my latest build. Yes that’s a mcd Xr5 max ultimate.

18C45E04-30D5-4FD3-9BD2-802B59986FB7.jpeg

When I start a thread it has a purpose, you not so much. Maybe stop for a bit and educate yourself before you blurt out any more useless info. People come here to learn, threads like this are useless.

View attachment 292472
Why the negativity? I'm sure I haven't been the only one in this hobby to ask a simple question in regards if a oil would eat shock seals..your acting like no one has ever experimented on this before..instead of being helpful sounds like you just want to bash on curiosity...we are all in this hobby to learn by experience..if you don't experiment how do you know if it works? You ask me how long have I been doing Rc? Then you ask haven't you learned anything? That doesn't sound like someone trying to help someone.sounds negative..are we not allowed to ask questions about experimenting on anything ? I'm sure this isn't the first thread on this forum or other forums about substituting oils in shocks ..I don't understand the hatred..but thank you for help.👍

View attachment 292472
Your build looks good.👍

Exactly where are you getting your Bad RC advice dude?
Bookface or worse???
Stop cheaping out, use silicone shock oils already.
Why would you buy upgrade shocks and skimp on the proper oil?????????????
No. Don't use anyting else.
Start learning more about RC shocks and how they work. They are not there for "Show".
You "have NOT heard anything on Marvel mystery oil". It's a mystery what's in that stuff anyway. It will destroy the silicone shock seals. That won't be a mystery when it does.
Well I have not heard anything about using "water" in shocks also. Does that mean it's ok to do???:ROFLMAO:

>>>>>>>>>>>I would start with 550 cst. Yes. Buy TA Green Slime O -ring grease for the reassembly. Protek Blue O ring grease is great also as another option. They protects the o-rings. And keeps the shocks from leaking the silicone oil.

But if you are against using proper RC oil, KY silicone personal lube will also work. You should have some lying around.

https://www.herbspro.com/collection...bda1411ed806b4ef00a82b832&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

There was some good as well as bad advice in that video.

Try this one. I would follow Adam Drake. All of his shock videos.
Well said. The phrase, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

Why the negativity? I'm sure I haven't been the only one in this hobby to ask a simple question in regards if a oil would eat shock seals..your acting like no one has ever experimented on this before..instead of being helpful sounds like you just want to bash on curiosity...we are all in this hobby to learn by experience..if you don't experiment how do you know if it works? You ask me how long have I been doing Rc? Then you ask haven't you learned anything? That doesn't sound like someone trying to help someone.sounds negative..are we not allowed to ask questions about experimenting on anything ? I'm sure this isn't the first thread on this forum or other forums about substituting oils in shocks ..I don't understand the hatred..but thank you for help.👍

Your build looks good.👍

A quick Google search would have answered your question. https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Can+you+use+marvel+mystery+oil+in+rc+shocks+

View attachment 292472
Paint looks a little thin, might need another coat or two. 🤣 Can't wait to see this one finished.

Your build looks good.👍
I suggest you experiment with using water in your shocks. Try Poland Spring, Evian, and also distilled water to make a a fair test. Then come back and tell us why it was a fail. That would be educational and more worthy of a thread...
But who am I to say. :whistle:

Last edited:
I suggest you experiment with using water in your shocks. Try Poland spring Evian and also dsitilled water to make a a fair test. Then come back and tell us why it was a fail. That would be educational and more worthy of a thread...

You forgot Perrier!

I suggest you experiment with using water in your shocks. Try Poland spring Evian and also dsitilled water to make a a fair test. Then come back and tell us why it was a fail. That would be educational and more worthy of a thread...
Ok thank you Mr @SrC
You forgot Perrier!
Thank you Mr @Doom!

Marvel mystery Oil is an Automatic Transmission base stock oil that has other additives. One is high PPM of Sulfer. A formulation that has not changed since the 1930's. MM Oil is not good for shocks. It stinks and most of all is very TOXIC to handle. Around this hobby.
Silicone oil is user frendly, inert and won't hurt you. Stay with it. Just keep it out your eyes. Don't rub you eyes wilth some silicone on them. Even the slightest. Hard to flush out. But you won't go blind.

Marvel mystery Oil is an Automatic Transmission base stock oil that has other additives. One is high PPM of Sulfer. A formulation that has not changed since the 1930's. MM Oil is not good for shocks. It stinks and most of all is very TOXIC to handle. Around this hobby.
Silicone oil is user frendly, inert and won't hurt you. Stay with it. Just keep it out your eyes. Don't rub you eyes wilth some silicone on them. Even the slightest. Hard to flush out. But you won't go blind.
Thank you for true advice .I appreciate it.i shall order me some 500 wt or 550 .now should I use that wt in both front and rear or ? Reamember that this build is just for moderate speed passes on a very flat road ..

@King blitz

You've inspired me. I’m gunna put about 5 quarts of WD-40 in a Chevy 350. I’ll let ya know how it works out for me.

In the future when you get these ideas bouncing around in your head, try it before posting and get it all on video for us to learn from. 👍🏻
Yes sir Mr @gotnitro 👍

Going by this chart if I'm looking for shock oil for speed runs 500 or 550 doesn't fit that chart.should I go higher or?

Screenshot_20230413-190806.png

Looks like between 600 and 700 ?

Going by this chart if I'm looking for shock oil for speed runs 500 or 550 doesn't fit that chart.should I go higher or?

View attachment 292615
Looks like between 600 and 700 ?
Oh boy…

At this point I’m going to make suggestion. Take a coupla turnbuckles and put them in place of your shocks. Then, since you like the way shocks look as you stated, you can take a sharpie and draw a tornado down them in any color. 😉

Learned a lot from this thread. I won't suggest using log cabin syrup in your shocks. I'll just do it and let you know the results! Just because it doesn't say not to do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

View attachment 292472
I have no idea what this is but I do know that for some reason I want one. This is the second rc brand in as many days I had no idea existed but really like what I'm seeing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back