Has any one tryed using substitute oil as a shock oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
Got brand new shocks and no oil .did some research on substitute oils that could be used like sun flower oil and olive oil..ik motor oil was used back in the nitro days but some say motor oil eats the seals . But I have not heard anything on marvel mystery oil..would it eat my seals ?I only do moderate speed passes and honestly I really don't need shocks but I like the way they look. so ik some have suggested to use 500 wt but I'd like to experiment with other oils.what do you guys think 🤔

Being a mineral oil, I'd say it would be very thin? And if it is, worst case Ontario, it will leak.
Thank you.
Found a brand new bottle of this stuff in my shed so I'm just collecting thoughts and wondering what to use as a substitute oil.i saw a few vids on sunflower oil ..trials did good .. olive and vegetable oils also work they say.if they leek won't that be a process improvement? Constant oiling of my cvd axels and everything around that gets whipped by flying oil 🤣🤣🤣

I may have just the idea for you ole pal.. buy some damn shock oil you crazy old geezer!! 🤣

simpsons-abe-simpson.gif

Got brand new shocks and no oil .did some research on substitute oils that could be used like sun flower oil and olive oil..ik motor oil was used back in the nitro days but some say motor oil eats the seals . But I have not heard anything on marvel mystery oil..would it eat my seals ?I only do moderate speed passes and honestly I really don't need shocks but I like the way they look. so ik some have suggested to use 500 wt but I'd like to experiment with other oils.what do you guys think 🤔
You're so crazy man BTW this thing is like the duct tape of oils. you can put that on any part of your car and it will fix any issue lol

You're so crazy man BTW this thing is like the duct tape of oils. you can put that on any part of your car and it will fix any issue lol
Even add it to your gas to clean out the injectors.
"Duct tape of oils" is bang on correct!

Even add it to your gas to clean out the injectors.
"Duct tape of oils" is bang on correct!
Yeah been using it in my 1/1 replacing 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of marvel mystery oil .at oil changes.but just wondering if I can use it in my rc shocks.just don't know if it will eat seals

Last edited:
I like to run Ragu in my shocks.

Fix a flat works incredibly in shocks.

I can't wait to see how this turns out🤣
Maybe you could use it as center diff oil?
Nope...I have a slipper. Thinking about pouring it on bulldogs dogfood
I was thinking KY JELLY🤣🤣

What's next?? Chunky ass peanut butta🤣🤣
I'd like to see someone use gorilla glue🤣🤣🤣
I washed my hair with KY jelly. I don't really recommend it.

Exactly where are you getting your Bad RC advice dude?
Bookface or worse???
Stop cheaping out, use silicone shock oils already.
Why would you buy upgrade shocks and skimp on the proper oil?????????????
No. Don't use anyting else.
Start learning more about RC shocks and how they work. They are not there for "Show".
You "have NOT heard anything on Marvel mystery oil". It's a mystery what's in that stuff anyway. It will destroy the silicone shock seals. That won't be a mystery when it does.
Well I have not heard anything about using "water" in shocks also. Does that mean it's ok to do???:ROFLMAO:

>>>>>>>>>>>I would start with 550 cst. Yes. Buy TA Green Slime O -ring grease for the reassembly. Protek Blue O ring grease is great also as another option. They protects the o-rings. And keeps the shocks from leaking the silicone oil.

But if you are against using proper RC oil, KY silicone personal lube will also work. You should have some lying around.

https://www.herbspro.com/collection...bda1411ed806b4ef00a82b832&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

There was some good as well as bad advice in that video.

Try this one. I would follow Adam Drake. All of his shock videos.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back