Good affordable servo upgrade for Notorious?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the spektrum S652, it appears to be better than the old ADS-15M. Mine was from 2018, so I had the ADS-15M. It lasted literally 1 turn. I replaced it with a savox 1210sg. That died after a year. Then I replaced it with a Hobbystar HCS-4521wp in April of this year. So far, it's holding up well. I put a second one in my ERBEv2. Both are running off a max6 at 7.2V. Not bad for $50. Better if you get it when it's on sale for $35-40:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-hcs-4521-high-torque-digital-waterproof-crawler-servo.html

RCJuice has them on sale pretty frequently.

I got one of the 25KG red ones off amazon to try if/when either of my 4521's die on me.
The V5 S652 (revised Arrma) servo is no better than the old ADS15M. Specs are overrated in their retail marketed published specs. They Claim max. torque 18kg at 7.4 volts. Which at first glance appears higher than the analog ADS15M (15kg). But the v5 RTR rigs BEC can only can operate at 6v with the new Firma 150amp ESC anyway. That brings actual torque down to 15kg if even that. Published Specs don't talk about torque at 6v. It would probably be embarrassing if they did publish that. The main difference between the 2 is that the S652 is now claimed to be a Digital servo. Big deal. What servo today is NOT digital?
This S652 is a cheap servo at $13. (EBay).
Take-offs can be found everywhere cheaply. Why?
Because everyone is taking them off.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The V5 S652 (revised Arrma) servo is no better than the old ADS15M. Specs are overrated in their retail marketed published specs. They Claim max. torque 18kg at 7.4 volts. Which at first glance appears higher than the analog ADS15M (15kg). But the v5 RTR rigs BEC can only can operate at 6v with the new Firma 150amp ESC anyway. That brings actual torque down to 15kg if even that. Published Specs don't talk about torque at 6v. It would probably be embarrassing if they did publish that. The main difference between the 2 is that the S652 is now claimed to be a Digital servo. Big deal. What servo today is NOT digital?
This S652 is a cheap servo at $13. (EBay).
Take-offs can be found everywhere cheaply. Why?
Because everyone is taking them off.:ROFLMAO:
I never was a fan of Spektrum rtr servos. Plus why the hell can't they make their servos 25t like pretty much everyone else on the planet?

^^^ so true.
25 spline was actually an old Futaba standard that that provided better more finer servo arm alignment settings in degrees for Air RC control surfaces.( ailerons and flaps/ rudders) better servo arm centering, back in the day. Airtronix and JR also had their own splines.
Less splines meant less adjustability. Now 25spline Is just a known standard most servo mfrs use. 23 is an oddball by itself as standard size 1/10 and 1/8 servos go.
I had an issue with a Axial RTR servo 25sp out the box. HH said it was on B/O. They offerd me a supposed better Spektrum servo so they said. It cost more, but wasn't WP or 25sp. It was 23 sp. I had already just upgraded the Axial servo horn to an expensive Vanquish Products 25sp arm. I Couldn't use the 23sp.
They wouldn't budge on another option. They didnt care. So skipped the warranty anyway, had no real use for the garbage Axial RTR servo anyway, being underpowered garbage. HH said 23spl. is better. Because that's all they use. No other reason.

Last edited:
^^^ so true.
25 spline was actually an old Futaba standard that that provided better more finer servo arm alignment settings in degrees for Air RC control surfaces.( ailerons and flaps/ rudders) better servo arm centering, back in the day. Airtronix and JR also had their own splines.
Less splines meant less adjustability. Now 25spline Is just a known standard most servo mfrs use. 23 is an oddball by itself as standard size 1/10 and 1/8 servos go.
I had an issue with a Axial RTR servo 25sp out the box. HH said it was on B/O. They offerd me a supposed better Spektrum servo so they said. It cost more, but wasn't WP or 25sp. It was 23 sp. I had already just upgraded the Axial servo horn to an expensive Vanquish Products 25sp arm. I Couldn't use the 23sp.
They wouldn't budge on another option. They didnt care. So skipped the warranty anyway, had no real use for the garbage Axial RTR servo anyway, being underpowered garbage. HH said 23spl. is better. Because that's all they use. No other reason.
Lol really? Because that's all they use in no reason..............

If you have the spektrum S652, it appears to be better than the old ADS-15M. Mine was from 2018, so I had the ADS-15M. It lasted literally 1 turn. I replaced it with a savox 1210sg. That died after a year. Then I replaced it with a Hobbystar HCS-4521wp in April of this year. So far, it's holding up well. I put a second one in my ERBEv2. Both are running off a max6 at 7.2V. Not bad for $50. Better if you get it when it's on sale for $35-40:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-hcs-4521-high-torque-digital-waterproof-crawler-servo.html

RCJuice has them on sale pretty frequently.

I got one of the 25KG red ones off amazon to try if/when either of my 4521's die on me.
What kind of mount are you using with that hobbystar servo

what mount set up/ linkage are you running with that amazon 35kg? I am lookin for ideas. I'm probably 10 packs through my kraton V5 (which I'm absolutely in love with, and could not be happier with) and I can tell my steering is becoming more loose and not as powerful. I'm sure the saver is giving too much, so I'm interested in linkages/aftermarket servo savers as well...any ideas, the arrma Kraton upgrade rabbit hole is deeeeeeeeeeep
much, so I'm interested in linkages/aftermarket servo savers as well...any ideas, the arrma Kraton upgrade rabbit hole is deeeeeeeeeeep
When it breaks, unless you want a faster more powerful servo right away. There will be a noticeable difference. 15KG with that stock "analog" servo is lame IMHO. I even tried it in my Crawler and it got eaten up real fast. I gave Savox a try. Wasn't happy with 2 1210's. I currently use this 35KG Digital coreless DSS servo with great results in 3 of my rigs. But I am critical of servos when I spend alot of $$. When they are below $40. I can just dispose of them and not look back. Generic brand servos last as long or much longer than some $Brand$ name ones. Everyone has their own taste. I like 35 KG for hard bashing in heavy rigs. I use 25 Kg in my Lim.(much smaller wheels)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBYZ4G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it breaks, unless you want a faster more powerful servo right away. There will be a noticeable difference. 15KG with that stock "analog" servo is lame IMHO. I even tried it in my Crawler and it got eaten up real fast. I gave Savox a try. Wasn't happy with 2 1210's. I currently use this 35KG Digital coreless DSS servo with great results in 3 of my rigs. But I am critical of servos when I spend alot of $$. When they are below $40. I can just dispose of them and not look back. Generic brand servos last as long or much longer than some $Brand$ name ones. Everyone has their own taste. I like 35 KG for hard bashing in heavy rigs. I use 25 Kg in my Lim.(much smaller wheels)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBYZ4G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
what mount set up/ linkage are you running with that amazon 35kg? I am lookin for ideas. I'm probably 10 packs through my kraton V5 (which I'm absolutely in love with, and could not be happier with) and I can tell my steering is becoming more loose and not as powerful. I'm sure the saver is giving too much, so I'm interested in linkages/aftermarket servo savers as well...any ideas, the arrma Kraton upgrade rabbit hole is deeeeeeeeeeep

Last edited:
Pretty much any of the aluminum servo mounts will work fine, just make sure you get a tall mount if you get a tall servo, otherwise just buy the cheapest aluminum servo mount you can find.

Add c clips to your servo saver to shim up the spring. New servo won't help until you do that. V3 servo saver might help but they are sold out.
Do you still need to do this with the V5's?

Hey guys, what do you think about this servo?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Waterpro...4&sprefix=brushless+servo+1/8,aps,106&sr=8-17

71V-RYeFTFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Actually, I was happy with the stock servo, untill today that i went to a skate park only to find that the wheels were turned too slow!
Don't know if it's an issue with the servo saver, though.

Back