Good affordable servo upgrade for Notorious?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the spektrum S652, it appears to be better than the old ADS-15M. Mine was from 2018, so I had the ADS-15M. It lasted literally 1 turn. I replaced it with a savox 1210sg. That died after a year. Then I replaced it with a Hobbystar HCS-4521wp in April of this year. So far, it's holding up well. I put a second one in my ERBEv2. Both are running off a max6 at 7.2V. Not bad for $50. Better if you get it when it's on sale for $35-40:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-hcs-4521-high-torque-digital-waterproof-crawler-servo.html

RCJuice has them on sale pretty frequently.

I got one of the 25KG red ones off amazon to try if/when either of my 4521's die on me.

Mine did and I had to trim the end of it down. It hit the radio box so I just filed it off until it didn't anymore. All good!!

Think there is any need to change the servo in the new Notorious?
When it breaks, unless you want a faster more powerful servo right away. There will be a noticeable difference. 15KG with that stock "analog" servo is lame IMHO. I even tried it in my Crawler and it got eaten up real fast. I gave Savox a try. Wasn't happy with 2 1210's. I currently use this 35KG Digital coreless DSS servo with great results in 3 of my rigs. But I am critical of servos when I spend alot of $$. When they are below $40. I can just dispose of them and not look back. Generic brand servos last as long or much longer than some $Brand$ name ones. Everyone has their own taste. I like 35 KG for hard bashing in heavy rigs. I use 25 Kg in my Lim.(much smaller wheels)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBYZ4G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it breaks, unless you want a faster more powerful servo right away. There will be a noticeable difference. 15KG with that stock "analog" servo is lame IMHO. I even tried it in my Crawler and it got eaten up real fast. I gave Savox a try. Wasn't happy with 2 1210's. I currently use this 35KG Digital coreless DSS servo with great results in 3 of my rigs. But I am critical of servos when I spend alot of $$. When they are below $40. I can just dispose of them and not look back. Generic brand servos last as long or much longer than some $Brand$ name ones. Everyone has their own taste. I like 35 KG for hard bashing in heavy rigs. I use 25 Kg in my Lim.(much smaller wheels)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBYZ4G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's The same one I linked to. Great servo so far!!!

I said the same. I don't know how Savox can compete at $70.+ for theirs. I have 3. The oldest is like mos old. I may use it in one of Crawlers next.
35 kg is like 486 in. oz. of torque. You can never have too much torque when it comes to servos. They hold up much better. Crawlers eat underpowered servos because you are stalling them under load and burn up. Very different than bashing. Did you ever temp check your servo. Most don't, but they get over 100+ F easily.

Edit: It comes with a nice alloy clamping servo arm. That's worth like $12 right there. Useless fit in an Arrma 6S rig, but works out great in one of my Axial Crawlers and even my Tekno MT. Servo arm has been in my MT for 3 years now. Attached to a Savox SA1230 higher end servo. Not WP though. I WP'ed it myself with Silicone conformal coating. This Savox is actually a great Track servo. It better be at $95. when I purchased it 3 years ago. But I am done with Savox and Futaba.

Last edited:

k

I said the same. I don't know how Savox can compete at $70.+ for theirs. I have 3. The oldest is like mos old. I may use it in one of Crawlers next.
35 kg is like 486 in. oz. of torque. You can never have too much torque when it comes to servos. They hold up much better. Crawlers eat underpowered servos because you are stalling them under load and burn up. Very different than bashing. Did you ever temp check your servo. Most don't, but they get over 100+ F easily.

Edit: It comes with a nice alloy clamping servo arm. That's worth like $12 right there. Useless fit in an Arrma 6S rig, but works out great in one of my Axial Crawlers and even my Tekno MT. Servo arm has been in my MT for 3 years now. Attached to a Savox SA1230 higher end servo. Not WP though. I WP'ed it myself with Silicone conformal coating. This Savox is actually a great Track servo. It better be at $95. when I purchased it 3 years ago. But I am done with Savox and Futaba.

I was not able to fit those clamping servo horns on anything I have, I modded one to fit on my SCX10-II though.

I buy my DS3225mg servos from Banggood if I'm not in a hurry. 4 pack for a little under $50. https://www.banggood.com/4pcs-DSSER...s=detail-left-hotproducts__6&cur_warehouse=CN

I’ve killed one of these in my Typhon 3S:

8208F761-24FC-42BB-8A32-8413293832B1.jpeg

But so for all of my DS3225 25 kg and SPT 35 kg servos are doing well

View attachment 109179

I had one of those in my Outcast, the top of the case broke where the gear shaft rode inside it, it's hard to explain without a picture but inside the top of the plastic case is a little hole that the shaft the gears are on ride in to keep the gears centered, that little hole broke in there, was probably a fluke but for $12.99 it worked great before it broke.

View attachment 109179

Is it a SPT 5435lv-180w you've got? What ESC are you using? Does it work well on stock ESC/BEC? I've got my a few days ago but haven't changed it yet, just wanna know if ESC are able to feed that servo, it takes a quite amount of amperes.

Back