Kraton Break Away Wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graystone_Industries

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Has anyone considered, or found, a breakaway wing? Specifically, a break away for the wing itself. I can imagine using something pretty DIY that would allow the wing to absorb some crash energy, and "break off" versus snapping the actual wing mount, wing mount screws on the suspension tower, the differential case, etc. Clearly, tape would do the trick. Ha.

That's essentially how the modern factory wing mounts are designed. They're intended to fail before the tower bends or screws pull from the bulkhead. Replace the $10 component as needed and move on to better transmitter skills. Replacing with TPU/less rigid material just transfers more energy to the body or tower.

Most bashers don't like flipping their rig over, imagine picking up a component after every cartwheel... Kinda like traxxass and their counterproductive "clipless body" you end up putting back on 40 times per bash.

I did not know this about Traxxas.

They are clipless? That doesn't even make sense as there really isn't much energy transfer the body engages in. It is low leverage, and directly mounted.

As for your comment--makes sense. Though, I will say that a single rear end landing snapped the mount (not wing from mount), and broke a bolt in the tower. Not a particularly high jump, either. Maybe 5-8 feet.

3DRC makes wing mounts that are exceptionally flexible. Match it to a RPM Kraton front bumper mounted on the back and you'll have a combo that isn't indestructible, but very close to it.

I've actually seen these--even a demonstration. I have the bumper from RPM for Typhon and Kraton. Maybe I'll give it a go.

One of the side effects of the flexy wing mount is the wing doesn't tear up as fast.

Back