Kraton What's a good strong Savox servo for the Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 5132

I don't try to submerge my RC's. However... I accidentally took my Kraton for a swim. It happens. .

Is this in the running video you uploaded where you punched off the roller and it flew about 30' and splashed down into the large puddle? It didn't look like the roller was even that big but it may have been larger than it looked on video. You have that thing dialed. Your Rig looks to have an endless supply of power.

Last edited:
Is this in the running video you uploaded where you punched off the roller and it flew about 30' and splashed down into the large puddle? It didn't look like the roller was even that big but it may have been larger than it looked on video. You have that thing dialed. Your Rig looks to have an endless supply of power.
No.... stupid me went over a roller on the other side...I saw a coyote and chased it over the top and on the other side was a drain full of water. I went right into it and hit the cement a little bit also. That roller I launched off... isn't big at all. It's amazing how easily it will lift off that.

Last edited:
I heard that servo's above 300 in-oz of torque are pretty hard on RTR parts. Did you consider the 1271t as well?

I would agree, especially the servo mount. The stock mount is flexible and when these new High torque servos get put in the mount will flex. There is a servo mount upgrade that can be done for roughly$10 in parts, or you can order a GKA servo Mount, and have a solid aluminum mount.

I just replaced my stock servo after the second time stripping it with the Savox 1210sg. I'm still using the stock mount but it's a significant improvement in speed and torque over stock. It's a little tall but wasn't hard to get it to fit.

I just replaced my stock servo after the second time stripping it with the Savox 1210sg. I'm still using the stock mount but it's a significant improvement in speed and torque over stock. It's a little tall but wasn't hard to get it to fit.

Does that servo fit without any additional spacers being needed other than the ones that come with the stock Servo?

I got the 1230 in the mail yesterday. So far, it fits into the Voltage Hobbies aluminum mount. The length and width allows for it to slide into the top mount with no issue. The standoffs that come with the mount are a little too short. I ordered a bag of 4, 25mm long. That should get the servo bolted into the Kraton. Also, I have a little spacer under the servo tabs. (Came with the mount but may not need them. ) Then it looks like the stock servo horn will work. I'll have to bolt the linkage under the servo arm and then over to the top of the steering arm. However... because this is a 499.9 oz servo per the package, I think I'll use a much stronger arm on the servo. The splines on the stock arm look questionable. I rather have one that clamps on.

It looks like the length of the servo arm used is critical. The one provided with the 1230 servo is a tad short. I'll also reset the servo saver. As for linkage, to get it even... I'll make the exact spacers needed if I can't find any. As long as it's bolted tight and secure.... it should be fine. looks promising... maybe this week it will be done. Not exactly a direct drop in !!!!

Voltage Hobbies gives you the option to purchase more spacers.... I rather use longer standoff. Theirshipping was real fast...very pleased with that.

Last edited:

Does that servo fit without any additional spacers being needed other than the ones that come with the stock Servo?

When I talked to Greg at GKA about ordering this servo, he said I would need to add 6mm of spacers to make this one fit properly, with the GKA mount. This servo is taller than the stock servo. Hopefully I can get it installed soon. Still have to do the bearings, and differential work.

IMG_0424.JPG
Option one with the Savox 1230 and the stock servo horn. Option 2 will be the lower servo horn once it gets here. Any time you put an extension on something... a little torque is lost. Final assembly will be the way that requires the least amount of spacers. Although... this here seems fine but it's just a mock up.

I realized something while working on the steering... try not to turn the steering if the vehicle isn't rolling. Jeezus ....it requires lots of force if it's sitting still.

View attachment 5288 Option one with the Savox 1230 and the stock servo horn. Option 2 will be the lower servo horn once it gets here. Any time you put an extension on something... a little torque is lost. Final assembly will be the way that requires the least amount of spacers. Although... this here seems fine but it's just a mock up.

I realized something while working on the steering... try not to turn the steering if the vehicle isn't rolling. Jeezus ....it requires lots of force if it's sitting still.
With a spacer in there the servo saver plastic arm will flex alot,can you mount the servo from underneath?

That's what I was worried about... it doesn't really flex much at all, it's stronger than the force of the tires and the servo saver. As of now, that linkage is running up hill. However....I have a lower arm and I can half the spacer and run a slight angle down ??? It doesn't seem to matter much. I'll try and take a decent video and a few pictures once it's all together. But you are dead on, I need some spacer but I can shrink it down a little more ..just mocking it up for now to get ideas. This servo is normal length and width but it is tall... I'll have the other arm in tomorrow.

With a spacer in there the servo saver plastic arm will flex alot,can you mount the servo from underneath?
Nope... that's as low as she goes.

That's what I was worried about... it doesn't really flex much at all, it's stronger than the force of the tires and the servo saver. . However....I have a lower arm and I can half the spacer and run a slight angle. It doesn't seem to matter much. I'll try and take a decent video and a few pictures once it's all together. But you are dead on, I need some spacer but I can shrink it down a little more ..just mocking it up for now. This servo is normal length and width but it is tall... I'll have the other arm in tomorrow.

I'll make that spacer wider and shorter and put a big spacer under the plastic arm, sandwich it all together. That will beef it up a little more. should be better. It isn't bad at all now surprisingly. The less spacer... the happier I am also.... (less lever from the wrong direction)

Last edited:
image.jpeg
That's what I was worried about... it doesn't really flex much at all, it's stronger than the force of the tires and the servo saver. As of now, that linkage is running up hill. However....I have a lower arm and I can half the spacer and run a slight angle down ??? It doesn't seem to matter much. I'll try and take a decent video and a few pictures once it's all together. But you are dead on, I need some spacer but I can shrink it down a little more ..just mocking it up for now to get ideas. This servo is normal length and width but it is tall... I'll have the other arm in tomorrow.

I'll make that spacer wider and shorter and put a big spacer under the plastic arm, sandwich it all together. That will beef it up a little more. should be better. It isn't bad at all now surprisingly. The less spacer... the happier I am also.... (less lever from the wrong direction)
Mount it from below like i did,i had the same problem.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mount it from below like i did,i had the same problem.
Here it is with a Savox 1270.

That's where a 1230 sits. There is no changing servo down position. That's it right there. The only change I can make is to the linkage or servo arm. It's not a stubby servo. It's a tall MFer. I'm not sure why, but it is. Must be how they get it to 500oz I can put a shorter servo in it today, but I want to see what this thing will do. I can't mess with the mount at all... all I can do is go up.

I got some ideas to make it clean.

Last edited:
IMG_0431.JPG
Looks like this is how it's going to sit....500oz, in the Kraton ! The low servo arm puts a larger angle on the linkage.

My linkage is angled too. No issues so far. As for the added height of the 1230, it's got a massive motor in it to make that 500oz of torque. You could add a spacer to the bell crank arm to level it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back