What was your first RC??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@adubbs87 between those two id say the Pegasus was overall more awesome. Simply because I got that as a new in box kit and built it. The other 1 was bought used so no building.
I loved building stuff from a young age. To this day I can't tell if I like running them more or building them. Its a toss up!

My first RC car when I was in middle school was TAMIYA - Marui Ninja. I purchased used and cannot get it to run for the life of me. I was too young to have any working knowledge of repairing the car. My second RC is the infamous KYOSHO - Turbo Optima Mid S-E. It was a AWD 1/10th scale buggy. Ran it for 2 weeks and completely lost control of it. Broken the front and sold it off.

TAMIYA - Marui Ninja
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=114479&id=10980

KYOSHO - Turbo Optima Mid S-E

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=136323&id=12712

That is definitely a sweet, proper first car! How freaking coo!! What kind of speeds were you able to get out of that monster? It’s funny because right now I’m watching the movie minions with my daughter. I’m not sure if you’re familiar but their favorite food is bananas and that’s what my daughter said when she saw the picture of the car lol.

If you could get it to go in a straight line, it went pretty fast. Probably 20's. Lol. It was a very crude RC. Used the Cox .049 airplane engine. You can't see it but, there is a ring with blades in it on the rear of the motor. It drew air over the motor and out that vent in the rear of the body. It also had that spring that was used to start the planes. But, we soon figured out you could flip your bike over and use the tire to spin the ring. Kinda like a modern day bump box.

Once you got it started, you flipped a lever that engaged the rear wheels. Set it down and go. Sounds easy right? First, there was no throttle. Just adjusted the needle to what speed you wanted the motor to run. Second, the steering was nonproportional. All or nothing. Third, the tires were hard rubber. If you leaned it out to screaming, it was basically drifting. Hard to control. But, I had a blast with it. Until my brother lost control and drove it into the pond. Lol.

The one in the video, someone modernized it with working throttle and better steering. Just thought it was cool.

@adubbs87 between those two id say the Pegasus was overall more awesome. Simply because I got that as a new in box kit and built it. The other 1 was bought used so no building.
I loved building stuff from a young age. To this day I can't tell if I like running them more or building them. Its a toss up!

I agree with you. When I still had my RC collection that was my therapy I think. All of those late nights wrenching and coming up with new ideas to make my cars and trucks faster or stronger. I miss those days. But eventually I’ll get more cars in trucks when the time is right. But I completely agree with you on that! I think building and fixing is just as much fun as running the cars and trucks sometimes.
My first rc was a tyco scorcher 6x6. So hard to control, but it was a BLAST! Not so hobby grade, but it wasn't a hobby for me then. Granite v2 Blx is responsible for this wallet destroying hobby. 😅
Haha I remember the scorcher!! Sooo much fun to drive my neighbor had one I was so jealous lol.
If you could get it to go in a straight line, it went pretty fast. Probably 20's. Lol. It was a very crude RC. Used the Cox .049 airplane engine. You can't see it but, there is a ring with blades in it on the rear of the motor. It drew air over the motor and out that vent in the rear of the body. It also had that spring that was used to start the planes. But, we soon figured out you could flip your bike over and use the tire to spin the ring. Kinda like a modern day bump box.

Once you got it started, you flipped a lever that engaged the rear wheels. Set it down and go. Sounds easy right? First, there was no throttle. Just adjusted the needle to what speed you wanted the motor to run. Second, the steering was nonproportional. All or nothing. Third, the tires were hard rubber. If you leaned it out to screaming, it was basically drifting. Hard to control. But, I had a blast with it. Until my brother lost control and drove it into the pond. Lol.

The one in the video, someone modernized it with working throttle and better steering. Just thought it was cool.
Hahaha that sounds like ALOT to handle especially as a kid. But I can only imagine the fun you had with it!! And of course leave it up to our brothers to ruin the fun lol jk. I love hearing stories like that thanks for sharing!!

Took me forever to find this, because I couldn't remember the name but this was my 1st. I played with this little bike so much.

Screenshot_20231201_105354_Gallery.jpg

The first traxxas bandit when they were a new company.

Now, that is definitely a nice first rig! A ton of power especially for the first one. I could only imagine if I had something with that much speed. I probably would’ve broke it in 10 seconds flat lol
Oh trust me.. it happened lol I couldn’t believe how fast it was and yep, it met a few mailbox posts.

Dove in with brushless E-Maxx. What a blast even without lipo batteries. Back then they were maybe $600. Bought 3 in one month. Used to buy used ones on ebay and refurbish them and resell to fund some of my hobby. Still have 2, one for bashing and one I put a bunch of aluminum parts on that I haven't used in probably 12 years.

Tamiya Lunchbox
Such an awesome rig to start the hobby with.. such an awesome body design
Kyosho icarus…. Old school. ;)

View attachment 335143
Old school but awesome!! What a sweet ride! How fast did that go?
First I can remember: Nikko Hurricane
First "Hobby grade"- Tamiya Super Saber

View attachment 335160
That looks so freaking cool!!
Dove in with brushless E-Maxx. What a blast even without lipo batteries. Back then they were maybe $600. Bought 3 in one month. Used to buy used ones on ebay and refurbish them and resell to fund some of my hobby. Still have 2, one for bashing and one I put a bunch of aluminum parts on that I haven't used in probably 12 years.
Wow talk about diving in head first!!! Haha I could imagine some broken parts and gnarly crashes at first!! I’d love to see that blinged up almuminum e-maxx sitting on the shelf. I bet it looks awesome! Just not too practical for bashing

Back